Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Helpful to have shield protective coating on shower glass door?

janesylvia
11 years ago

I have some brochures of glass doors. Adding some money, I can have some treatment that claims to make hard water difficult to leave water spots and be easier to clean. Glass doors of different brand have different name for this kind of treatment, e.g., HydroShield, Diamon-Fusion Protection, or CW shield protective coating.

I saw a local glass door shop which has good price but does not offer any coating. Does the coating helpful in preventing hard water spots and making cleaning much easier?

Any help or sharing of experience is greatly appreciated.

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Shower Guard is the best as it is actually built in as the glass is manufactured so it is definitely permanent and has a lifetime warranty as opposed to all the others which is an applied protectant with 10 yr warranties. The applied products are decent and work just not as durable nor good in the long run.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I've heard that Rain-X (made for cars) can work well as a DIY option. Can anyone vouch for that?

jane-s, I didn't buy the extra coating because I was experiencing sticker shock for the basic door, and because the Wilson Glass website had an article that recommended against it. I think the basis for the rec. was that it's difficult to predict long-term wear. But a 10 year warranty would probably reassure most people.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

If you want to take the time to weekly reapply rainex and it will only work so well

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

I did not get any fancy treatments on my glass doors. I use a squeegee (sp?)and wipe down my shower almost daily with a towel to help prevent any mildew and water spots. I have not had issues.

• luckymom
    11 years ago

I've lived with a sliding glass door leading from our shower to an atrium for 20+ years in this house. GET THE COATING- no matter what the cost, it will be worth it in the long run.

Sure, everyone starts out with the squeege, then folks start getting lazier, sooner or later you move on to mild cleaners, and before you know it you'll using anything you can get your hands on to TRY and get rid of spots. Eventually, you'll give up and just want to take a sledge hammer to them. I'm super lucky- we have the shower on the inside and rain water on the outside. Haven't seen thru ours clearly in at least 10 years- and I'm afraid to try and replace them for fear of them messing up my tile in the shower.

So, yes, the coating will be worth it.

• luckymom
    11 years ago

Oh, and fwiw, Rain-X doesn't help (at least that I saw).

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Rain-ex sheds the water but the mineral deposits still get in the pores maybe not as quick but definitely still happens.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all the responses above. I'll visit the local dealer of the ShowerGuard glass door.

• LorieParnell
    10 years ago

Yes, I was a slave to two bathrooms, and a family of teens, who had no clue what a squeegee was... Lucky me, a year ago, Annah my new neighbor, is in a business that cleans glass on commercial and residential properties. I asked her if she may have any recommendations for my ongoing battle with my shower and bath glass. She recommended a new product "Crystal Clear Shower Glass Enhancement". She said there are many sealers that have been on the market 15 years or more, old technology, all similar in performance, and needing revitalizing or reapplication. Lori has been growing her business working with large hotel's shower and bath glass doing the application of Crystal Clear to save them cleaning time and no longer the need for strong chemical cleaners. Our Kit was very complete and includes everything my husband and I needed to restore the glass to new, and apply the GlassGuard sealer, all in about an hour. It has been over a year of freedom from what was my dreaded weekly battle. I found Crystal Clear Shower Glass Enhancement Kit is now on sale on Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

• LorieParnell
    10 years ago

Yes, I was a slave to two bathrooms, and a family of teens, who had no clue what a squeegee was... Lucky me, a year ago, Annah my new neighbor, is in a business that cleans glass on commercial and residential properties. I asked her if she may have any recommendations for my ongoing battle with my shower and bath glass. She recommended a new product "Crystal Clear Shower Glass Enhancement". She said there are many sealers that have been on the market 15 years or more, old technology, all similar in performance, and needing revitalizing or reapplication. Lori has been growing her business working with large hotel's shower and bath glass doing the application of Crystal Clear to save them cleaning time and no longer the need for strong chemical cleaners. Our Kit was very complete and includes everything my husband and I needed to restore the glass to new, and apply the GlassGuard sealer, all in about an hour. It has been over a year of freedom from what was my dreaded weekly battle. I found Crystal Clear Shower Glass Enhancement Kit is now on sale on Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

• LorieParnell
    10 years ago

• ikea_gw
    10 years ago

Before we ordered our new glass door I talked to a friend who has a 3 year old frameless glass door in their shower. She says her cleaning lady clean it regularly but they don't squeegee the door and after 3 years it is already difficult to get spots off of it. She is currently trying all kind of cleaning products and some of them are not very eco friendly. So when we bought our glass I got the built in protection (not showerguard but something similar). I squeegee the door after I shower but husband does not and our water isn't particularly hard. I think if you are less inclined to squeegee every time or if you have very hard water, the protection will definitely be worth it.

• k_rider
    10 years ago

After a few years and much stuck to the clear shower door and surrounding glass I tried every chemical I could find to get them clean... As we have all seen no luck... Last sucessful attempt was using a razor blade paint scraper..Took a bit but finally managed to get behind the film and took care of the mess...Squeege and towel keep all clean now....