Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doctheokie

uhoh moments

doctheokie
9 years ago

Has anyone had a uhoh moment in their remodel and just did the best they could with it .
I stole some space in front of shower door and vanity which is husbands side and made shower bigger instead of the 40 inches he was used to I gave him 28 .It is 4 inchs more than minimum and 2 inches less than recommended.I will admit my vanity came out a little wider than I thought it would but I love all the storage anyone else had thoughts of I could have did that different after the fact?

Comments (10)

• vpierce
    9 years ago

You could trade sides with him.....

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I wanted a mid-brown, not too dark stain for my vanity. The sample in the shop was perfect! I ordered my own sample and it seemed a little darker. My designer said it was due to variation in the wood. Sounded reasonable, so I went with it. It came out way darker than I wanted, but due in part to the lighting in my bathroom and the orientation of my vanity. It was my choice, so I'm living with it. Next time I'll be more on top of it.

• doctheokie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@vickimp I offered because it does not bother me I'm finding out you can't obsess over everything just be glad it looks better.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Choosing a grout w/o checking it out against the tile. White grout, white tile...what could go wrong? I'm not about to dig out all the grout, after realizing this error 3/4 of the way through. Warm, light gray grout would have been SO much better. Oh well :-)

• williamsem
    9 years ago

I have a new vent with a light and nightlight. At the time, I figured it would be best to wire the light and fan to the same timer, so if you want to see in the shower you have to vent it. And who needs a nightlight?

Well, turns out the extra light is nice outside the shower too. Not entirely sure I'd change it since the odds the vent would be used if wire desperately is low. And turns out I would like a nightlight sometimes. Guess I can fix that pretty easy if I want to get someone to run the wire, but for now it's at the bottom of the a To Do list, somewhere around page 6 or so...

• kats737
    9 years ago

We gutted our basement bathroom and after exploring the plumbing, DH found a way to add 6" to the space. Fantastic, we went with it.

But I already had the floor tile (purchased as an odd-lot) and it wasn't enough. By the grace of the Tile Gods and a really savy warehouse guy, I got the other 5 sheets I needed.

• southofsa
    9 years ago

When the vanity went in.

Backstory- the original plan was to just replace the vanity in my bathroom. And I'm tall so I designed it to fit me and the existing footprint of the vanity that was there. And give me some very much needed storage space. And the love of my life built it exactly like I wanted it. Even after saying "this thing's going to be pretty big" a few times.

Then we found the mold in his bathroom. Lots of mold. And started looking at how to rework the spaces (they're next to each other) and steal a little closet space and move the air handler to the attic, and now I have room for a built in linen closet with a ton of storage space, but by now I have the granite specially fabricated to fit the weird sink I picked out and narrow vanity he so lovingly built for me.....

You get the idea. The vanity is huge and doesn't have to be at this point. But as much time as he put into it and as much money as the granite fabrication cost that sucker's staying.

The upside- I figure as hard as our water is the granite will start dissolving at some point. And by then he'll be ready to build me another one (I get something about every 5-8 years). And I tiled behind it and under it so I'm not stuck with the same issue then. So it's all good.

Lisa

• doctheokie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's nice to know that these moments occur and you hopefully learn from mistakes. I redid my bathrooms and had a few missteps along the way but nothing I can't live with .

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

As we were installing the 12 x 24 tiles in our shower/tub, we realized that we'd like a little more height on the tile wall.

Hmm. How about a row of the tile we used on the floor in front of the tub (the new tub being narrower than the previous sunken tub)?

It pretty much looks like we planned it that way from the beginning, while really our secret is that one is a height booster and the other is filler. Shh.

• doctheokie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ suzannesl it looks planned .Very nice job