Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any professional tilesetters in here - Grout Color Selection

Posted by chefwong (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 19:37

Flooring is down. Just waiting for it to dry before grout comes in.

Tough call. I had my mind set on Laticrete Sand Beige but I just came across a couple pics of it in *tile* versus a colorchip and methinks it may be a shade or 2 too light for the tile.

There is some contrast going on in the tile. I think between lighter vs. darker, I would err on the darker side of the grout to blend.

For all you tile gurus, any other recommendations on grout color. I am colorblind and am the worst when picking out grout....

1st pic if the finished flooring. It's close to true-2-life color. 2nd pic would be just a example of the tile alone...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any professional tilesetters in here - Grout Color Selection

Took some more pics

In order of color

Sand Beige
Desert Khaki
Hemp
Hot Cocoa
Chocolate Truffle

o

If you choose a darker color, dirt is less visible. You can wait twice as many years before steam cleaning to restore original color to the grout.

is dirt in your part of the world reddish or brownish or really dark? Usually, dirt is the thing that determines whether you like the floor later. Also, many men have rubber shoe soles that leave dark dirt behind.

Another factor is involved in choosing grout color: which secondary color you want to bring more to the fore. It might depend on the surroundings (not shown in your pictures) or on one of the minor colors in a tile (but thers is not much of that happening in your tile).

After a few years of dirt and grime get into a floor of tile and grout, the edges near the wall have the original color and the main area of the floor have a darker color grout (because of the dirt).

Hth.

o

I'm no pro, but if it were my floor, I'd want to make it look as much like hardwoods as possible. for me that would mean a grout closer to the tones in the "wood". I'd look at two that you didn't pull out as options. #6 (I can't read the text) from the top on the left side of your kit looks perfect to me, but I'd consider #12 or #13, too. They all have more gold than any that you've pulled and it looks to me to be a closer match to the tones in the wood.

o

Hi David :

Shoes are generally removed in the mud room.

FWIW, I own a commerial grade steamer and am OCD when cleaning. The grout will be epoxy so I'm only really using steamer as a general maint. cleaning - not a wait till it's dirty and really go to town with it. Epoxy grout cannot really take the heat from a steamer from a *localized point spray* as well.

Grout is the hardest for me. It makes or breaks the tile IMO. For the backsplash, I went through 3 different brands, till the 6th color was the perfect fit.

On this project, I'd prefer to stay with the *Laticrete* colors as I'm using Epoxy and prefer their epoxy grouts.

Color chops are hard.
Here's a pic of one with their color chip, paper sticker chip and also the finished grout in person

o

Paging Bill V. Could use some golden eyes here.
Paging Bill V

o

Olychick gave you great advice, which I agree with. You said you are colorblind, so that is probably why you chose the colors that were more gray.

o

Hello -

So I pulled some more colors out the clip and took a pic.
Bump for some more colors...

I only pulled the dark browns for visuals but I suspect that may be too dark....might look a bit more like a commercial floor no ?

o

Since it's epoxy you can afford to go with something more colorful than otherwise.

if you remove all the ones that have gray in them (or are dull), you will be farther ahead in the choosing process. In both batches there were gray /dull options.

If I had to choose fast, I would go with the first one in your latest photo. But I haven't seen the surroundings.

o

Surroundings...It's one big rectangular room - Basement flooring. It will mainly be the kids rec room.

I know color like food is subjective.

The 1st color clip - isn't that a tad too *bright* relative to the tile. I just want the grout to flow/blend in with the tile. Granted there are variations on the tile, some dark, some light , contrast is a given.

o

Actually Tawny (top color clip) looks not bad.
Too light ?

o

Personal opinion, but of the ones you have pulled out I'd go with #43 Chocolate Truffle or #66 Chestnut Brown.

In an installation like that, I'd want the grout to be darker than the tile.

o

Hi Mongo -

Dare share the *design* theory on that.

I'm just looking to get correct *design* theories on this as well....

It's kinda like white marble with light grey grout vs. dark grey grout. The dark grey pops out more than the tile when you look at it.

My goal ideal is to have the color blend-mesh right in

o

I would also go with one of the darker ones, because it they better match the "grain" of the wood look tiles, and I think that they will achieve the overall wood look that you are going for.

Make up a couple of sample boards.

o

Hands down-- chocolate truffle.

if it's up to me. :-)

o

I'm a big Bill V follower - tweet tweet.
Heh, just admired your contribution and passing on the knowledge on all aspects of tile over the years.

Pop Quiz question.

The truffle in part C looks more light - like chocolate milk mix. Whereas in the *sanded bags*, the grout looks true to color - the dark brown similar to the color chips.

Is/are the properties of the epoxy darken the coloration. I do recall that as the grout cures, it does darken up a bit..

If you're wondering why epoxy - we plan to bring in a puppy into the household later on this year, and it's a +++ with the properties of epoxy for the lil critter

o

we plan to bring in a puppy into the household later on this year, and it's a +++ with the properties of epoxy for the lil critter

If that's the case, you definitely want epoxy (and NOT urethane-- IOW QL2). The epoxy will definitely stand up to chemical attack. not so sure about the urethane grouts. As for the epoxy Chocolate truffle, by the time it's cured, ti'll be the same color as the sample. It DOES start out much lighter, but will darken as it dries and cures.

o

"Dare share the *design* theory on that.

I'm just looking to get correct *design* theories on this as well.... "

Hey, I'm just a lunkhead giving you my opinion. But since you asked... ; )

Using your own photo, which look do you prefer...

The look on the left which sort of resembles a light grout, or the look on the right that resembles a dark colored grout?

You're using a "natural material" wood grain pattern, it has variations. To me, using a light grout contrasts rather than blends, and thus the light grout looks unnatural.

With this tile, a light grout, by contrasting with the darker wood grain, would result in the grout accentuating the individual tiles rather than allowing the floor to blend as a whole. It'd interrupt the flow of the wood grain.

You also wrote: "It's kinda like white marble with light grey grout vs. dark grey grout. The dark grey pops out more than the tile when you look at it. "

It's the exact same idea as your above quote. Dark grout on light marble tile pops and the contrasting grout becomes part of the design. Light grey on light marble blends and allows the marble to shine on its own.

In my opinion, in the photo below, one side blends and the other side contrasts.

o

Thanks fellow THS members.
Another project done, on to the next room ;-)
Finished in Chocolate Truffle

o

Nice choice!

o

It looks fantastic!!

o

Your wood look tile looks great. We have had a very similar wood look tile in for about 10 years and are still thrilled with it.(You were correct to go with the really dark grout. It recedes from the eye.) Everyone, including contractors of all sorts, think it is real wood.

I noticed you are using a light tile that appears to be very similar to what we have picked out for our bathroom remodel. The one we like is Roca Tahiti Beige (yours may be a different color). Is this what you chose? If not can you give me the manufacturer name and style of your tile?

Have you installed it? If so can you post a picture of it installed?

I love the Roca Tahiti Beige but I am concerned with the specs saying it is only a 5 on the MOH hardness scale. Were kind of hard on tile so I am probably going to need to choose something harder so am on the look out for look alikes.

Thanks!
Michelle

o

The light tile pic is posted a couple threads up. It's made by Dal Tile - Fabrique Line. Sorry, I don't have much pics. I took some and then covered then up in Ram Board and moved some stuff in there as there is still work in progress on the overall project going in.

FWIW, and I can't say this for sure on all porcelain, but installation is key. Have great *coverage* underneath the tile is important. On my past project, before I even ever looked at MOH hardness, etc - I just picked what I liked and laid it. Over the course of it's life, from 7 feet high, I have dropped a cordless drill on it at least on 3+ seperate occasions and I have ALWAYS been amazed that not only did the tile did not crack, there was nary a chip on it !

Some more pics I have of the tile

o
One more Pic

Found one more u might like

o

Thanks! Your tile has a MOH of 8 which is much more suitable for us. I'm going to go find a sample at a showroom. Really appreciate your taking the time to post.

Michelle

o
Picture from a distance?

Thanks for the pics. Do you have any of the installation from a distance? I'd love to see what the tile looks like for a whole room.

Thanks again!

o

chefwong - would you mind sharing the name of your wood floor look tile? I absolutely love the look. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here