Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shower valves

Posted by cruiser56 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 19:25

I have a spa 4 body sprays, handheld, rainhead shower and installed a Kohler K-2971 Pressure Balancing valve with a K-728 transfer valve. The tempeture fluctuates a lot. I also have a tankless water heater. I read that pressure balancing don't get along well with tankless heater. This happens even when using one showerhead. So I think I need a thermostatic valve. But before I invest another $500+ I was want to get some opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shower valves

I have the hansgrohe thermostatic valve and I love it . No temperature change on me .

o

Lillo do you have a tankless water heater?

o

It's not the valve. It's the too much volume demands on the heater in conjunction with the valve. You are asking for too much flow from the heater, and it can barely provide what you are asking. That puts it too close to the safety presets for a pressure balancing valve. It wouldn't work with a thermostatic one either. You need to either split off he body jets and install another heater or eliminate them entirely.

o

It seems to fluctuate even with the rain head only. Our other bath has standard shower valve works fine.

o

Agree with hollysprings, the first thing I'd look at is the tankless unit.

Figure out the total GPM that you are demanding in the bathroom (and elsewhere in the house), and what your typical delta-T is in the winter months. The tankless needs to be sized for the most demanding application. The coldest weather/water and the highest demand flow.

Example, here are some generic specs on the first heater I found:

→ 35°F rise at 6.0 GPM
→ 45°F rise at 4.57 GPM
→ 77°F rise at 2.6 GPM

You can see temperature performance drops off as flow-through increases. Your rain head could simply be pushing the tankless beyond it's ability to heat water.

When some tankless units struggle to keep up with hot water output, they throttle down and restrict the outflow of hot water, this can lower the pressure in the hot water line.

That could affect a PB valve more than a TS valve based upon the pressure aspect alone. But depending on how much the heater is struggling to keep up, you might still get the same cold shower with a thermostatic.

So replacing the PB with a TS valve might help. Or it might make no difference at all.

Properly sizing your tankless to the demands of the house and your environment would give you the best chance of success.

Good luck!

o

hollysprings:

I'm impressed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here