Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebloom

lighting over wall mounted medicine cabinet

bluebloom
15 years ago

Preface to say my knowledge level is extremely limited and I get swirled around easily trying to figure many things out... so I venture to post now.

We are planning to have wall-mounted (recessed not feasible) medicine cabinets - likely Pottery Barn's Classic. Unfortunately the lighting must go above the medicine cabinets instead of on the sides, where I seem to see many illustrations and recommendations.

For sconces pointing down, it seems there are very few fixtures that stick out enough to totally clear the ~5" depth of the cabinet (thinking that the cabinet would create a shadow?). We found Restoration Hardware's Bistro sconce which addresses this by being adjustable (though maybe a tight squeeze to fit for the larger version of the med cabinet we'd prefer). However, it only comes in a single sconce and it seems that this would be too "insubstantial" looking compared to the relative weightiness of the dark double vanity (72" wide; sinks ~ 18" wide; med cabinets 20" wide to go directly above sinks).

For sconces pointing up, after deciding if the cleaning/dusting issue is acceptable, we've been told both that it's plenty adequate light-wise (but maybe using 100 watt bulbs, for triple sconce), or that it won't be good enough. Many of the triples (at least from Pottery Barn & Restoration Hardware) seem to only use 60 watt bulbs.

Not sure if the eventual mandate (& desire) to use "eco-friendly" lights will make a difference; haven't finished figuring that all out especially hearing recently that the cfu's bother some people.

I'm not sure whether to post this in the bathroom or lighting forum; will try you folks first... I am amazed at the individual and collective inputs. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Wall Mounted Classic Med Cabinet

Comments (10)

• bluebloom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hopefully this link will go through to Pottery Barn's illustration over the Classic wall-mount medicine cabinet, of (what I think is) the Mercer Horizontal double sconce, pointing downward.

I'm not clear if it can be pointed both up and down, but for pointing down, because it's only 5.5" deep (& the cabinet being 5" deep), I wonder about the casting of shadow from the med cabinet itself.

If this style, as illustrated by PB themselves, is ok to point downward over wall-mounted med cabinet, then other styles should be too - say:
    - Restoration Hardware's Devon triple sconce (19.25" wide x 9 4/5" deep x 10" high), or
    - RH's Asbury (17" wide x 6" deep x 9.5" high)
    - PB's Harrison triple sconce (15.5" wide x 6" deep x 8" high).

If they fit/clear... if not, may have to choose smaller sized med cabinet.

Then the question of light adequacy - being only 2 x 60 watt bulbs each (for the Mercer horizontal).

Almost forgot another thought - if there's adequate wiring slack, would it be good/bad/ok to somehow make a panel or box (sort of like a small ?bulkhead, not from the ceiling though) to extend the sconce out a few inches more, so it does for sure clear at least most of the medicine cabinet? To be painted probably color of the wall.

Going in circles... thanks kindly if anyone can shed any light at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mercer Horizontal double sconce above wall-mount Classic med cabinet

• doingygirl
    15 years ago

You may want to check out some of the wall mounted light fixtures at rejuvination.com They allow you to customize the projection of some of their fixtures (i.e. the Carlton double sconce can be ordered with either a 9" or 12" projection and the Bonneyville comes in an 8" or 11" projection). One last idea that you may have already considered would be hanging pendants above each sink or recessed lights, although this would obviously involve running wires up thru the ceiling. Hope this helps. -Good luck.

• bluebloom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks doingygirl - I just sent for their catalogue (bum sore sitting too long at computer... nice to look at paper sometimes!); pity it's not available til mid-February. A lot to look through, but educational as they categorize according to periods/styles (of which we know almost zilch)!

There is already a bit of recessed lighting (aka pot light?) in the ceiling, and the ceiling is all finished, so we wouldn't go treading there... am aiming to pick something for the holes in the walls meant for light sconces; we changed a plan from big mirror to 2 medicine cabinets, which due to structure have to be wall-mounted.

Actually need to pick another sconce for a small second bathroom; that one will go in a hole in the wall mirror. Apparently an original style picked was cracking some mirrors (too heavy?; weight not distributed enough on the mirror for the weight of the fixture?). For that I fancied stained glass, but apparently that may not give adequate light (this is guest & main hall bathroom; not just powder room but with bath also). That fixture will be over a very small vanity.

Will also have to spend more time in the stores - gradually getting less overwhelmed hopefully.

........ok, I just started playing with the adjustable features for Carlton on Rejuvenation.com - excellent web feature! Thanks again for suggesting this. Will revisit when my computer isn't being so slow.

• ebuzney_gmail_com
    15 years ago

It was funny to read your post Bluebloom, because I'm in the same exact situation down to the details. Very frustrating. Check out this over the cabinet shelf lighting -- looks great; only thing is that it's halogen.

I'm really interested to see if anyone else posts here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Robern Designlogic MP/MT Series Series Medicine Cabinet Accessory Model Number CAHM-A

• bluebloom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Canofworms - I have to run & will reply this aft or tomorrow, but for now will post something I copied... in case it helps another newbie like me:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,403815,00.html (A Lesson in Bathroom Lighting); excerpts:
    "Task Lighting
    Vanity lighting gets top consideration because these fixtures work the hardest to illuminate the head and face for grooming. The most common mistake people make is putting recessed ceiling fixtures directly over the mirror. These cast shadows on the face, making daily grooming rituals more difficult.
    Vertical fixtures or sconces mounted on either side of the mirror are best for casting an even light across the face.
    But given the size and positioning of some vanity mirrors, sidelights can be impractical (mounting them directly to the mirror is always an option, but at greater planning and cost). Only then do I suggest a fixture for over the mirror. It should be placed 75 to 80 inches above the floor and, like all vanity lighting, contain at least 150 watts ÂEideally spread over a fixture that's at least 24 inches long so that the light will wash evenly over the hair and face.
    The shower is a secondary area of task lighting. In smaller bathrooms, if the stall has a clear glass door, a dedicated fixture may not be necessary. Otherwise, I recommend a recessed light with a glass lens (plastic will yellow). Similar recessed fixtures work well over a freestanding tub or the toilet. "
    "Lighting the Vanity Right
    To eliminate shadows under the chin, eyes, and cheeks, fixtures should be mounted on either side of the vanity mirror (or on the mirror's surface, if it's large), 36 to 40 inches apart.
    The center of each fixture should be roughly at eye level, or about 66 inches above the floor. This will guarantee even illumination across the face for grooming...."
    "Choosing Bulbs
    A crisp white light tends to render skin tones most accurately. Halogen bulbs set the gold standard...."
    "Think Dimmers
    These are a lighting designer's best friend because they grant absolute control over the lighting, and thus the mood, of the room. In a very small space like a powder room, dimming the vanity fixtures might even provide all-in-one task, ambient, and accent lighting. Plus, dimmers conserve energy...."

Here is a link that might be useful: A Lesson in Lighting - This Old House

• richpoor
    15 years ago

I have the same exact -- EXACT! -- problem, except with a Restoration Hardware medicine cabinet with an 8" moulding at the top (Cartwright). I also have this problem to a lesser extent and in another bathroom with an ordinary medicine cabinet with a 5" depth.

For the RH cabinet, the solution is going to be to build out a box above it to set the light fixture on. The electrician/carpenter assured me this is done all the time...but I'm not so sure how it'll look.

Ironically, I'm highly acquainted with Rejuvenation, having bought many light fixtures and other things there, and I've even been to their huge warehouse in Portland OR. Yet it didn't occur to me until doingygirl suggested it that a 12" projection Rejuvenation fixture could solve this problem!! We already have the box planned, already bought the light fixture....arrgh.

For my 5" deep cabinet, I think a 9" light fixture with 4-1/2" diameter shades will basically work, despite a little overlap at the edge of the shade. But if not, I know where to go!

• bluebloom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really, really marvel at you all who have either done big builds or renos, or are in the process! We have a relatively small number of decisions to make, but find it plenty challenging - not having paid lots of attention to these things before, and not being overly fond of the shopping (tuckered out by more of it lately), nor so "handy".

Canofworms thanks for the link... haven't encountered that type of cabinet yet. Somehow I'm intimidated by halogen; must be leftover from stories of the old torchieres that caused fire if too close to curtains or whatnot, & the idea of the extra heat/wondering if a splash of water would cause a problem. Have also heard differing opinions on the desirability of the quality (related to color rendering/harshness?) of light.

Richpoor it's nice to know that your electrician/carpenter (is that two different people?) gave you assurances that building a box is "done all the time"; so far I've not encountered anyone who affirms the same when I've asked - admittedly not to lots and lots of people, but several anyway. I'd love to hear how it works out for you if you go ahead with that; if a carpenter does the box you'd think they could come up with something attractive.

We're probably going to use an upward facing triple sconce, but since it'd be reversable (able to be placed facing downwards) presumably we could later do the box thing if the first didn't satisfy after all. I must remember to ask them how much leeway is in the wiring.

I do find it surprising how medicine cabinets fell out of favor such that it created a fair hoopla (esp. including trying to figure out about the lighting) for us to ask for them instead of one big mirror. It does seem that they are coming "back in"... so practical for storage, and more styles becoming available. I'm used to a tri-mirrored one... just love it for helping to keep the counter uncluttered (& seeing hair from side or back). So thanks for chiming in... and good luck with your solutions.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Bluebloom, I also wonder why medicine cabinets are so out of fashion. If you want to put a mirror across an entire wall, that's one thing, but if you're doing a small mirror, why not do a medicine cabinet instead and get the storage space?

Anyway - the thing about buying a fixture that can go up or down - if you might face it down, be careful that you've got enough clearance space to open the door. Mine (a three-light fixture) faces up, and there wouldn't be enough room to turn it the other way. If I'd set the lightbox high enough in the wall so it could be turned down, then while it was facing up, I think the light box would have looked like it started too high above the medicine cabinet.

Hope that made sense. ;-)

• bluebloom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Charlikin, that's a really good point... if it were mounted on a box it could extend out over the farthest point of the med cabinet from the wall, but door opening of course must be considered. Aye aye, it's a bit doubtful where the hole/electrical box is now and where the cabinet must go in order to reasonably comfortably clear the faucet! We're trying to save them the trouble of moving the hole and not go too close to the ceiling for facing up.

Richpoor - We were at Home Depot yesterday and in a (something about Bathrooms - sorry didn't copy down the exact name but it was over $20) Home Depot brand magazine-type book there was a picture of downward facing double sconces over wall-mounted med cabinets which had ?molding like on your Cartright cabinet. The vanity cabinet was dark espresso and there were 2 sinks; it was on the right hand side page (?around the middle or so of the book). The lights were pretty high up, so didn't look like room to also be able to turn upwards.

I've linked below a related thread on this forum - that somehow I didn't find when first searching. Doingygirl replied there too.

Gathering myself up for another browsing/shopping expedition now... looking at fixtures like towel racks or rings or hooks & tp holders. And what can go inside an otherwise nice standing shower - somehow a shower seat and niche got omitted... what to do with the shampoo (let alone conditioner), soap & washcloth?! Have spent some time through some of the related threads on here... great help for starters; should have come here & lingered many moons ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Light and Medicine Cab don't fit - Restoration Hardware' - thread