Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting over surface mounted medicine cabinet

Posted by gardnr (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 18:53

We have a 36" mirrored, three door, frameless medicine cabinet in our small master bath. It is surface mounted, and cannot be recessed due to ductwork behind the wall. I am trying to find a good light to put above the cabinet (no room on the side, plus it abuts a window). Any fixture with shades that point down would light the top of the cabinet. I am afraid if I point the shades up, it will not provide sufficient light for makeup, etc. It seems the strip lights on a box that comes out as far as the cabinet are no longer made! Help!

Any ideas, pictures, experience you can share? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting over surface mounted medicine cabinet

how far out from the wall is the cabinet? We had a similar issue trying to find lighting that would extend past the mirrored cabinet because we also could not use sconces on either side and have low ceilings so no pointing the shades up.

I had to look for a light fixture that extended at least 8" from the wall. I got the Bennett triple sconce from Pottery Barn. it is being installed today so I hope it works out okay.

o

I hope it works! Our cabinet comes out 5" from the wall. Is that similar to yours?
Please let me know how your sconce works. I love the look of it and will order it in a heartbeat if it will work for us!
Thanks.

o

I'm not sure how far out our cabinet comes out...it is recessed but has moulding that comes out at the top. I will post a picture once it's done later tonight.

o

gardnr - my medicine cabinet comes out almost 3" from the wall. The electrician did not make it today, but is expected on Monday. Will post pictures when it's done

o

I'm worried about that same issue, but plan to make lighting my last choice.

So far I've found that Rejuvenation offers a light you can get an extension on, so it sticks out further. They are a bit expensive though. If regular lights don't do it, then that's the way I'm going.

I haven't gotten the medicine cabinet yet, mine is all still on paper waiting for construction in March.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Pendleton

o

hey gardnr
our bathroom was finished today so here is a picture of the Bennett Triple sconce over our medicine cabinet....

Photobucket

Photobucket

the fixture is a little bigger than I thought it was going to be but since I ordered ot on ebay (PB was out of stock) it will have to do. because we were able to go high enough with it on the wall, the shades do clear the top of the medicine cabinet. If we had less height available, the shades would be just touching the edge of the cabinet trim.

Hope that helps you to see if it will work with your surface mount cabinet.

o

We ran into this same problem when we discovered the studs in the wall were not deep enough to accommodate our recessed medicine cabinet. My contractor suggested building out a box about 2.5 inches deep and 1 inch wider on all sides than the rectangular back plate of our light fixture. (Our medicine cabinet sits 5 inches from the wall.) He had the light junction box within this box. I was nervous about the look of this, but after painting the box the same color as the wall, it really isn't noticeable.

This worked so well that we repeated this design in a second bathroom we just finished. Our light fixtures point upwards, so this time I decided I only needed the built out box to be deep enough so that the light bar instead of the back of the light shades cleared the front edge of the medicine cabinet.

o

jreed22,
Your Pottery Barn Bennett lights look great! I am considering the same one. How is the light? Is it enough? I was concerned that they wouldn't be bright enough with only 40w in each shade. I will have 3 other high hats in the same small bath, so I thought it might be ok.
Any feedback you can give would be appreciated!
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here