Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnr

Lighting over surface mounted medicine cabinet

gardnr
12 years ago

We have a 36" mirrored, three door, frameless medicine cabinet in our small master bath. It is surface mounted, and cannot be recessed due to ductwork behind the wall. I am trying to find a good light to put above the cabinet (no room on the side, plus it abuts a window). Any fixture with shades that point down would light the top of the cabinet. I am afraid if I point the shades up, it will not provide sufficient light for makeup, etc. It seems the strip lights on a box that comes out as far as the cabinet are no longer made! Help!

Any ideas, pictures, experience you can share? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• jreed22
    12 years ago

how far out from the wall is the cabinet? We had a similar issue trying to find lighting that would extend past the mirrored cabinet because we also could not use sconces on either side and have low ceilings so no pointing the shades up.

I had to look for a light fixture that extended at least 8" from the wall. I got the Bennett triple sconce from Pottery Barn. it is being installed today so I hope it works out okay.

• gardnr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope it works! Our cabinet comes out 5" from the wall. Is that similar to yours?
    Please let me know how your sconce works. I love the look of it and will order it in a heartbeat if it will work for us!
    Thanks.

• jreed22
    12 years ago

I'm not sure how far out our cabinet comes out...it is recessed but has moulding that comes out at the top. I will post a picture once it's done later tonight.

• jreed22
    12 years ago

gardnr - my medicine cabinet comes out almost 3" from the wall. The electrician did not make it today, but is expected on Monday. Will post pictures when it's done

• biochem101
    12 years ago

I'm worried about that same issue, but plan to make lighting my last choice.

So far I've found that Rejuvenation offers a light you can get an extension on, so it sticks out further. They are a bit expensive though. If regular lights don't do it, then that's the way I'm going.

I haven't gotten the medicine cabinet yet, mine is all still on paper waiting for construction in March.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Pendleton

• jreed22
    12 years ago

hey gardnr
    our bathroom was finished today so here is a picture of the Bennett Triple sconce over our medicine cabinet....

the fixture is a little bigger than I thought it was going to be but since I ordered ot on ebay (PB was out of stock) it will have to do. because we were able to go high enough with it on the wall, the shades do clear the top of the medicine cabinet. If we had less height available, the shades would be just touching the edge of the cabinet trim.

Hope that helps you to see if it will work with your surface mount cabinet.

• irkemaro
    12 years ago

We ran into this same problem when we discovered the studs in the wall were not deep enough to accommodate our recessed medicine cabinet. My contractor suggested building out a box about 2.5 inches deep and 1 inch wider on all sides than the rectangular back plate of our light fixture. (Our medicine cabinet sits 5 inches from the wall.) He had the light junction box within this box. I was nervous about the look of this, but after painting the box the same color as the wall, it really isn't noticeable.

This worked so well that we repeated this design in a second bathroom we just finished. Our light fixtures point upwards, so this time I decided I only needed the built out box to be deep enough so that the light bar instead of the back of the light shades cleared the front edge of the medicine cabinet.

• positano
    12 years ago

jreed22,
    Your Pottery Barn Bennett lights look great! I am considering the same one. How is the light? Is it enough? I was concerned that they wouldn't be bright enough with only 40w in each shade. I will have 3 other high hats in the same small bath, so I thought it might be ok.
    Any feedback you can give would be appreciated!
    Thanks

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

Good idea on building it out, I never thought of that! We got some sort of nickel ceiling/track light with 8 little adjustable lights, I think they are halogen or something. We fiddled with it and were able to mount it on the wall, but it's meant for a ceiling. If we were inclined to wire a box onto the ceiling that would have been the the way to go.. It sort of waves and each light can be adjusted. It's not great, in fact it throws a lot of heat. The bulbs are bright though so even though they don't shine straight down ( afraid they burn the top of the med.cab) they throw a lot of light. They burn out often, I don't know why. I wish I has thought of building out for traditional light. Hubby still working on the molding!

• loves2read
    9 years ago

We have that light--or something very similar--in the ceiling in our FL house...

will be replacing when we remodel as it is too contemporary for what we want to do...but we will have surface mount medicine cabinets so I am grateful for the photo of the light w/the extension...

we have only 8 ft celings in that house and I am also concerned about the room over the mirror for lighting--we have concrete block walls and dont' have any studs to recess the cabinets in...

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Hey, Skimmton_Chi, what is the name/company for that fixture? And how wide is your cabinet? Thanks!

• aleksandrbily
    7 years ago

As a professional makeup artist will say that light when applying make-up should fall directly vertically (not horizontally, and not from the top down. To avoid creating a shadow). In professional dressing rooms used such mirrors: https://goo.gl/GxGlzX You should think about something like that, to achieve the most good result.

• 3marshview
    3 years ago

Old post, but I have the same issue.. HELP. We're building a new home/condo, the rough electric is completed. My husband's "only thing he asked for"... was a medicine cabinet and it is a surfaced mount, not recessed. Builder can't do a recessed one. I need to find a light that will extend over the medicine cabinet for proper lighting. Any Ideas???? thanks!

• sewpenguin
    3 years ago

I am looking at something like this: https://www.litfad.com/linear-vanity-sconce-contemporary-metal-28-wide-led-silver-vanity-mirror-light-in-third-gear-s-150131.html I checked with the company and they say it extends out 8" from the wall. My cabinet is 5" deep so I'm hoping that's enough clearance.

• Sharon Sullivan
    3 years ago

Same problem here. Contractor installed a 20 wide x 26 long 4.5 “ deep kohler med cabinet from Home Depot. Can’t find a light bar for the life of me that protrudes out far enough! No room on the sides either :(

last leg of 2 bathroom remodel and now this is the worst part!!!

• HU-718392994
    2 years ago

We also had the same problem finding a 3 light vanity light for over our medicine cabinet that is surface mounted. The medicine cabinet stuck out 5.25", but we found a light by Nuvo Lighting, (MFG # 60-5203), collection: Parallel, 21 " wide x 7.75" height with a extension out from the wall of 8.75". It also available in one light (60-5201) or two light (60-5202) or four light ((60-5204) or flush mount (60-5207). Another three light we found was by Progress Lighting, collection: Elevate (MFG #P300022-015) 24.75" x 7.50" x 8" extension from wall. I hope this is helpful.

• HU-859876267
    10 months ago

I know this is an old thread, but I faced the same issue: surface mounted medicine cabinet 4 7/8" deep. I found a Kohler Tone 3-light vanity fixture Model #31770-SCO3- BNL (brushed nickel one) that was perfect. It extends 10 3/4 inch out, but it's only 6 inches high. It was beautiful, but after ordering from Lowe's, it went from delivery 6/12 to delayed to out of stock. Damnitall. Whoever reads this...it will be available in October, 2023. I talked to a Lamps Plus clerk who said the entire bulb must fully extend out past the medicine cabinet to avoid all shadow. This Kohler model does that. I had to totally switch gears to a fixture that pointed up. I hope it will work to provide enough light. I'm not as thrilled about it, but you have to be practical to get the bathroom remodeled in time. I hope this is helpful. Good luck to all who face this issue!