Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunzi_gw

Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure

hunzi
11 years ago

Warning this is long and wordy, but if you're patient, I could really use advice/ideas/offers of valium.

Hi there! I'm Hunzi.

Yes, it's me again. I know you don't remember me, because I've been sporadically reading and planning this project for about a decade now, but it's finally going to happen!

So here's what I have. Dirt. No, really...we started with an amazing space in the corner of an unfinished basement in an 1884 farmhouse. A previous owner had installed a "shower" consisting of a raised wooden pallet type platform floor, corrugated plastic walls, and a shower fixture plumbed with garden hose from what I think were old laundry hookups. This fabulous assembly was to supplement a main floor "full bath" which had a toilet/sink/tub, but was installed with near equal quality - yes, that's really an electrical wire cutting externally across the corner of the tub! Yikes. We just lovingly call any poorly done DIY job in the house a "Mr. G--- job".

So we've spent the past 20 years, fixing up all the Mr.G jobs, and while we are also 99.9% DIY, we're card carrying complete obsessed over-engineer it types.

That amazing shower was removed post haste (one of these days I'll check to see if I took a photo), and we have made due all these years with the shower in the claw foot tub on the 2nd floor (obviously installed by pros back in the 1920's before MrG got his hands on the house), while the plans for the basement have slowly bubbled and evolved. What was originally going to be a play room for the kids (DS was only 3 when we bought the place, DD was not yet a twinkle in her daddy's eye), last year finally became a bonus room for the now DS/Grad Student to live in until he can afford his own place then its future lies in either ManCave or home gym.

Somewhere along the way, that corner with the shower evolved from really scary home to spiders to maybe we can use it as a laundry room/bath combo, to you know, we really do need a 2nd full bath in this house, since I want to remove the other (main floor) Mr.G Special Bathroom and use that space for a kitchen reno and just tuck a powder room into an old pantry.

Back to the dirt. Apparently the basement was originally non-existant. Previous home owners dug it out in stages, first to make room for a boiler and coal room added in 1925, then the rest was dug out later we suspect. Not a bad amount of space, properly dug with respect to foundations. But it must have been a dirt floor for quite a while until someone (I'm still blaming MrG (bless his heart)) poured a concrete floor - not just any old concrete floor, a "just cover the dirt - no worries about making it level or making sure there's enough thickness" concrete floor. Level wasn't in his vocabulary.

So about the time, DH decided to remove the fabulous fishing camp shower, he decided he'd remove the concrete covering the section of the floor that would become the future bathroom, because he'd have to tie into the sewer stack in several locations and gosh darn it, once he started and found the concrete varried in depth from 1.5 to 4 inches, it all had to go.

You do realize, there were years - YEARS between DH tearing out the concrete and now, don't you? I've lived with a 9x10 patch of dirt in the corner of my wavy concrete basement for at least 10yrs, maybe longer - I'm trying to black it all out.

Problems -no time, no money, more no time, more no money, trivial stuff like military service demands getting in the way etc. So, I'll cut him some slack.

Still, when DS needed to return home - finally the fire of FIX the BASEMENT was lit (to DH's credit, many other projects in the house were done in the intermediate years and the basement was always a low priority). It didn't hurt that DS couldn't just move back into his old room because it is now being occupied by our 2 adorable teen aged Chinese exchange students (16 & 17 yr old girls) who moved in this fall and will live with us this year and next while they finish high school. DD is a freshman in college this year, but home frequently and wouldn't have let her brother borrow her room anyway! So the basement became priority one finally.

Finished off a living space for DS, and finalized plans for a bathroom and laundry room (now separate).

Ok, that's the backstory.

Now back to the dirt yet again. - DH is preparing to make all the stack modifications and plumbing rough-ins this weekend. (Everyone light a candle and say a prayer for us!) This will rough in the plumbing for the basement bath, the main floor powder room (goodbye MrG 1950s Bathroom From Hell) and laundry room.

Next up will be pouring a new slab in the dirt space - no, really, this one will be properly thick and level.

However, now there's stuff I need to be sure of - before Dh decides to order concrete.

Since DH didn't tear out the entire basement floor (we now all say Thank You Baby Jesus!) he wants to meet up with the existing concrete level (yes, we know it's not actually LEVEL, but the laundry room section of the basement is within "You Can Fix It with SLC" range vs OMG, they dropped the part around their "floor drain" (aka the fishing camp shower drain as well - don't get me started) nearly a foot (a very wavy foot).

So QUESTION #1:
Since we can set the level of the concrete slab whereever we want (within reason), I need to know how much I need to allow for the stuff that goes over the concrete slab - the thin set, Detra/some decoupler, more thin set, plus a 1 inch hex type tile - so that I can meet up with the laundry room floor which will have SLC, plus same tile (and all required under-prep).

I'm also working with a minimal ceiling height of 7ft (remember it wasn't planned to be living space when they dug it out), so I can't get crazy and not worry about the amount of space that gets leftover between finished floor and finished ceiling.

How thick is all the usual tile on cement stuff? Assume a small hex type tile of the Home Depot variety.

I just need to know if I need to tell DH to be sure to set the top of the slab X.0 or 0.x inches below where we want the final finished floor.

Once all this OMG I HATE PLUMBING drama is over, we can discuss all the more fun parts - details on tile, all the 1000's of other things you'll realize I haven't thought about.

Goal is a not overly expensive but nice looking full bathroom - we'll reuse the toilet and tub from the MrG Main Floor Special - might upgrade the toilet eventually, but pretty sure the tub/shower combo (basic steel tub, nice shape/size/depth) is staying.

Powder room is sort of intermixed into this project, but not completely because darn-it, I need to gut the kitchen to get the PR door in the right place but at least the toilet will be roughed in to the right location and the weird combo of MrG's Main Floor Special Bath/my kitchen pantry (another story for another day), will no longer exist. And that will be Phase 2, after the basement bath and laundry project is done.

So, how thick is the tile stuff, and we'll need to chat about radiant floor heat vs something like WhisperWarm or heat lamps. (This bath will get light/moderate use once DS moves on, and there's no direct heat source in the basement - it's relatively warm & dry due to the very large, very old cast iron boiler which radiates much heat, but now that's closed off in a utility room and there are several walls between it and the bathroom - so it's cooler, but not uncomfortable in there, and I'm not noticing it feeling damp (even with the still dirt floor), but I want to be sure there aren't any issues.

Eventual look and feel of this bathroom is 1920s/Art Deco classic - not over the top, but a nod to the past. Hex tile floor, possibly unglazed, also running into laundry room, black & white color scheme - subway tiled bath, pedistal sink. Simple but we all know simple is never simple to create!

So, hopefully someone made it to the bottom of this - or you'll all just click NEXT everytime you see my name. ;-)

I've read a lot here over the years, admired many bathrooms, mostly in silent awe.

Hang in there, I'll reuse this thread for the whole basement bath adventure, which knowing us, could take the next year or two! ;-)

Here we go.
Always ;-)
Hunzi

Photo of some of MrG's fine work (Located in the 1950'sBathroomFromHell). Yes, that's really a live wire.

This post was edited by hunzi on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 11:34

Comments (157)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree you should tile the ceiling. The arched hydrorail has a nice streamlined look to it. Not too sure about the beamed one. I don't like the last one either. It's the sliding bar I don't care for. Keep on, keeping on!

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG. There is an actual concrete floor in my basement! ;-)

Goodbye dirt!

This post was edited by hunzi on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 23:35

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hooray! Where is the picture? Got to see a picture :)

• crl_
    10 years ago

Hooray for concrete!

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Congrats! You must be psyched!

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We just keep going down and looking at it! ;-)

Now it's under plastic to cure, so there isn't much to see or photograph.

I took a couple of snaps while they were finishing up, so I'll see if one of those is good enough to post once I upload them from my phone.

We ended up way over-buying concrete, so the guys not only hauled 60x80lb bags of concrete down to the basement, they're going to have to haul 26x80lb bags back to the store. DH apparently both estimated up when he gave me the square feet to calculate the bags (it was probably closer to 85sqft than 100 - he counted in a brick ledge that wasn't part of the slab), but also only made the slab a 2x4 deep - so it's closer to 3.5 than 4, which also threw off the count. Needless to say, I'm giving them (DH & Friend) both a week or so to fully recover before they return the concrete.

Next up will be the underfloor heating and SLC.

The new slab looks pretty dead level, but it's out of level with the old slab by about 1/2 - 3/4 in in most spots.

Once we pour the whole area, we'll probably have to go back and re-pour a couple of very low spots in the old slab - there's a pair of low spots that are out nearly 1.5 - 2in. (and that's just the laundry room - we'll do the other basement areas in another project).

Love that Mr. G and his very non-level old concrete job!

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Promise the photos will be up soon. (I know you are all waiting with bated breath to see my concrete slab!!!)

Ok new topic:
    Next big thing is the radiant floor heat that goes into the self leveling concrete.

So which brands have you used?
    Do you like them?
    How quickly does it heat up? Since we will only use this bathroom now and then, I don't think there will be a regular schedule so that I could program it to be ready and warm.
    Which thermostats do you like?

Any good priced sources?

I can get warmly yours and laticrete brands at Lowes. Or I can go online. I know I'm looking for 120v versions vs 240 - I don't have room in my panel for another 240v circuit.

I think I only want to heat the small floor space in the bathroom from the toilet to the sink/tub area - probably only about 24sqft, and if I can score it at a good enough price, I'll continue it into the laundry room area in front of the washer & dryer - probably another 24sqft. I know I could do it with one continuous loop of the plastic lath/wire roll out type vs the fixed rectangular mat type. I think the roll out type will work best for us.

I wish I could use the new Ditra Heat-E! It looks like a great system, and I like how they use a conduit to protect the thermostat wire and that also means it's easy to replace if need be, but again, it requires 2in tiles, and I'm doing 1in hex so that's out.

I'm open to all good brands! Suggest away!

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• raehelen
    10 years ago

No advice on brands, I don't have infloor heating, but I do remember reading a piece of advice here about leaving an extra probe in case there was a problem with the thermostat (as I gather that that is what tends to go). I know Enduring did that, so maybe she can pipe in as to what that entails/means.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I've read that any of the systems work. I used Warmwire by Suntouch in both my bathrooms. They are 240, I understand you'll need 120v. I have had them off since our vacation and just turned the active bathroom on yesterday and timed the temp elevation for you :) I watched it rise a degree about every 3-5 minutes for the 3 degree rise I was present. That sounds about right for my system as it takes about 30 minutes to get up to my setting of 76 degrees. When it cools down it seems to be around 66 or so, which is were we keep our house temp. I don't use it in the summer, as the cool floor feels so good in the hot midwest summers.

If you are only going to be using it once in a will, I honestly don't know if it will be worth it. You can always put down rugs under foot. I notice a tad bit of room warmth coming from the floor heating. But my stingy husband always says "Ah, this floor feels good" when he walks on the tiles in his bare feet.

I have mine programmed to come on Monday through Friday at 2 times, early morning and at bedtime. Weekend option available and I have it set to a different time. There are 4 programmable on/off cycles/24 hours. I skip the 2 during the day.

Are you putting a thermal break between your concrete pad and your floor heat system? What kind? I have wood floors and a basement underneath so didn't have to concern myself with heat loss.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm starting to wish DH had been willing to dig the prep a little deeper - then I could have put 2in Styrofoam insulation under the concrete. It's definitely different doing a basement slab post-construction vs. initial construction - in that case, we would have a layer of gravel, added weeping systems and radon abatement in case it was needed later, and put in the Styrofoam. As it is, I think we'll put 1/4in cork (or synthetic equivalent - there was one company that offered that) under the RFH to create the thermal break.

I am just not sure how this bathroom will get used - honestly it will be nicer in many ways than the current 1920s bath on the 2nd floor (way better than the current shower in the clawfoot tub!), so it might get more use than I'm anticipating. And it will be the only working bath when we renovate the 1920s bathroom so it will get a fair amount of use then on more regular schedules - and there's always a possibility that DD might move back home after college for a year or two and it may get more use due to that. So I think I want RFH, and a programmable thermostat, even if it doesn't get a lot of regular use off the bat. Also, if I put it in the laundry room too, it might get more use - turn it on all weekend in the days/evenings etc. We use the laundry room on and off all weekend between DH & I doing the household laundry & the Chinese daughters doing theirs. Right now, I have those rubber gym puzzle mats in front of the laundry machines because the concrete floor will suck the heat right out of you.

And while it's silly - I hate the thought of doing a tile rug/border on the bathroom floor then covering it with mats. Irony, I bought bath mats for this bathroom last summer before it was even started because I didn't expect we'd add RFH and I had bought some for my 1920s bath then found some others I liked better - so I just kept the 1st ones for the basement.... They'll get used someplace or DD will claim them I'm sure.

This post was edited by hunzi on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 14:22

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

We also contemplated a tile rug/border for the bathroom and I nixed it for the very same reason. Instead we will just put it on the shower floor.

Renovating is never easy but you'll be happy with it in the end. I still look at the pictures of the sports bathroom every time I open this thread. I'm sure this bathroom will be just as awesome.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since this is a tub/shower combo, I don't have the option of just making the shower floor pretty. ;-) If I did, that would probably be the way I'd go.

I considered just doing plain white hex or a daisied hex for the whole floor in the bathroom and laundry - but plain seems too utilitarian - it's already a basement with no windows and a low ceiling, it doesn't need help feeling soulless! Random or regular daisies - the laundry area is basically a galley - laundry machines & sink on one side, some storage and a door on the other - so it is already very rectilinear - a border just makes it look neater. And in the bathroom - it's a huge dream of DD's that this bathroom have an Art Deco feeling - so I'm going to at least see how a Greek key will feel before I make final decisions. To be honest, left to me, I'd do something way more spontaneous. Like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: My fun message rug

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I still look at the pictures of the sports bathroom every time I open this thread. I'm sure this bathroom will be just as awesome.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! for that! There are 3 rooms in this house that really have my stamp on them - the Slightly Imperfect Powder Room (SIPR/sports bathroom), my library (old school traditional), and my bedroom (just a little beachy). The rest is coming along.

I go in the SIPR anytime I need inspiration! I love it. Hey! I guess SIPR can stand for Super Inspirational Powder Room to! ;-)

This post was edited by hunzi on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 16:23

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Behold:The awesomeness that is wet concrete!

Snort.
    Hunzi
    finally synced her phone

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and since LotteryTicket mentioned the Slightly Imperfect Powder Room, I thought I'd finally take a photo of the sconces in their much improved position! No longer wonky, off center and too low! The tops of the sconces used to be about 2/3 the way up the mirror, now they are even with the top.

DH moved them up and centered them when he was finishing the wall behind.

Now, other than the lack of a door (there is a door still on the former 1950s Bathroom From Hell which serves as an anteroom - so it's not lacking privacy) it's Practically Perfect In Every Way.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One last photo of the SIPR! Here's my hidden storage cabinet! It has taken quite a bit of work to make that door work properly!

• enduring
    10 years ago

it's Practically Perfect In Every Way.
    Oh Mary Poppins, it is!

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Indeed, it is. The navy blue is seems like a bold choice but is just fantastic with the white trim and wainscot.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sneak peek at the layout! ;-) It's cozier than it looks before framing, but it's functional! And way better than dirt!

Tub on the back wall, sink on right, floor drain rough in & toilet rough in. I didn't mark in the doorway. From the line of the tub to the wall between the laundry is 45 inches.

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Nice progress. What you imagine will soon be reality! Probably feels good to no longer have a dirt floor.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh the excitement of watching concrete cure is just .... overwhelming!

So we're past the halfway mark! Actually, I think the plan is to put in the radiant floor heat and pour the self leveling concrete at the end of the month.

Hmm, I guess that means I need to get on the whole business of actually ordering the radiant floor heating and the other bits and baubles!

This weekend we flushed the hot water heater out and established that it is still fit as a fiddle in what is probably its 60th+ year. (We call it the magic hot water heater!) We'll drain it again and scoot it over a couple of inches to fit better in the closet with the water softener (also need to get that ordered today!)

Progress is being made!!! It's just that it looks like curing concrete.

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

This post was edited by hunzi on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 14:23

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh so my credit card company loves me today!

Here's a tip for you - if you order radiant floor heating from Thermosoft, watch the cycles on their sales! I noticed they offered 50% off the mats on Mondays, but by Friday the discount was down to 45%. And I saw they had a "call for specials" note on the website - so I figured out what I needed, waited for Monday and I called to see if they had any better deals - results - I saved another $90! I'm heating the bathroom and laundry for under $600.

Yippie Skippie!
    Always ;-)
    Hunzi
    feeling the power of saving a few pennies today

This post was edited by hunzi on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 0:42

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Sweet! We loves a bargain.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So the massive ordering has commenced. Water Softener is on the way, as is the Hansgrohe I-box and a shower head (I may use this one to replace the badly limescaled shower head in the clawfoot tub in the 1920s 2nd Floor Hall Bath and buy another for the bathtub in the basement - I just wanted a good look at it now so I can make some decisions on shower plumbing....

So speaking of shower plumbing:

I am debating between two versions of the Kohler Hydrorail - which is my work around for wanting to run a tub spout, a wall mounted shower, and a hand shower and still use just the shower trip with a 2 way diverter. I didn't want to add another diverter plus a shower bar, plus a wall outlet, plus the shower arm (which would look really busy on a short tub wall), so the Hydrorail combines the shower bar & arm, outlet, and extra diverter I need into one unit. (Yes I will verify that really would work!)

The question is, which Hydrorail? I can pick the beamed version, which gives me a rain shower, plus a hand shower, or the short arched version which is more of a traditional 45 degree angle on the wall shower head plus the hand shower. I'm actually leaning towards the rain shower version because the hand shower mounted on the bar would cover the traditional showering. Either way, I'm working with a low ceiling height - only 7ft, so I want to be sure I have clearance.

The video has all 3 versions in it. What do y'all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of Hydrorail

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

You need to figure your ceiling height and the height of people who will use it.

When I was considering the Hydrorail for my bath remodel, I would have gone with the short arched version. My tub resides in an alcove that's got a lower ceiling than the 8' ceiling in the bathroom. The pipe for the rain shower head can't be right up against the ceiling, but if you lower it, what's the height of the bottom edge of the rain shower head? I don't think having the pipe only and inch or two below the ceiling would look very good. If a rain shower head is a must, it's probably better to get a ceiling built-in one instead.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm, well shoot! Maybe I will go with the short arched version (more like a wall arm) - I was thinking the longer beamed rainshower one exactly because I would put it practically under the ceiling - I'm thinking with the shower head it would be at maybe 6-9 or so.

Currently, we have no tall people in the house, I'm 5-7, and the tallest person living here, but DD's boyfriend is about 6ft, so it's possible we'd have the occasional tall guest and I don't want it to be awkward for them.

Perhaps the arched version is a better option.

This is partly why I have the wall showerhead incoming already - I figured I'll swap it out with the one in the clawfoot tub (2nd story bathroom) and get an idea of how it works and how it would fit. (Bonus, if I like it, it would be way better than the old one in the clawfoot!)

The fixed showerhead I've chosen is the Hansgrohe Raindance S Multi Function with 6" Spray Face. They also make a 5" spray face if it looks like a slightly smaller one would work better.

Am I just being crazy trying to do this this way with the hydrorail vs shower valve plus diverter plus handshower/grabbar, wall arm & outlet? plus the tub spout of course.

In the current plan:

1) Hansgrohe S Thermostatic temperature control with Volume control and diverter for 2 outlets. (I like the idea of being able to control volume!) Diverter controls tub spout & Hydrorail
    2) Hydrorail - has diverter between wall arm and hand shower
    3) Fixed shower arm and shower head
    4) Handshower & hose
    5) Tub spout
    Pros - less wall objects, bar works as grab bar, Cons - can only use 1 shower head at a time

Alternative plan #1:
    1) Thermostatic temperature control with Volume control (no diverter)
    2)Quatro Diverter valve and trim,
    3) fixed shower arm & shower head,
    4) slide bar.
    5) a wall outlet
    6) Handshower & hose
    7) Tub spout
    Pros - could use both shower heads at the same time, Con - more expensive, more objects on wall, slide bar doesn't double as grab bar

I guess if I want to go cheaper and simpler, I can give up the fixed shower head (and keep the one just ordered for the clawfoot tub).

Alternative #2:
    1) Hansgrohe S Thermostatic temperature control with Volume control and diverter for 2 outlets.
    2) Slide Bar
    3) Wall Outlet
    4) Handshower & hose
    5) Tub spout

Pros - less expensive Con - slide bar doesn't double as a grab bar

Nothing is ordered yet but 1 I-box and the one 6" shower head, so I'm not committed to any path yet.

I may need to put these all side by side on paper and think about it!

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh today is super fun - it's toilet scrubbing day!!!

I have managed to drag the 1949 Standard toilet out (J,M,&J that thing is HEAVY!) , and I'm busy scrubbing it inside and out with CLR, rotten stone, scrubbie sponges and lots of elbow grease.

Good news is it is cleaning up nicely and I have no doubts it will look shiny new again.

But oh it's a nasty job cleaning off 65 years of lime scale, rust stains and other stains I'm not going to overthink.

Renovating is really a form a mental illness. ;-)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi
    feeling very glamorous

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

I think you can go with the angled hydrorail since installing a separate sliding bar with a hand shower would essentially be the same thing. And you have a little more freedom there with how high you mount it.

With the rainshower head, I mean you could put the pipe on the ceiling, but if it's painted, it's in the way when you repaint it. IMO, ,it wouldn't look good paint or tile with the pipe right up against it. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

Is your toilet a one-piece model?

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going to go with the angled model - I went back and re-read this giant ode to bathrooms, and remembered I have a shower light due to go in the ceiling too! So the whole rain shower wouldn't work anyway.

The toilet is a two piece - it's just all assembled and probably weighs over 100lbs and until today when I filled the tank, I had no idea how it would flush, so I didn't want to take the tank off yet. It's officially a 5 gallon flusher! And yay! No leaks!

It currently is looking extremely fabulous in the middle of my kitchen in a huge plastic bin! - (it for moments like these that they invented bleach!) - It was too heavy and awkward for me to carry outside by myself (I now understand why plumbers are so burly even if I'll never understand why they can't buy shirts that cover their buns!) I dragged it in on a rug and managed to roll it into the bin then stand it up. We haven't turned on the outside hose bibs yet anyway so I needed access to the kitchen sink. (I'm betting this is going to completely gross out the teenagers when I get them from school - lol! ) I'm not freaked out because there are no microbes that could survive all the acid I was using.

Good news is, the toilet completely cleaned up. Took a mirror to get the bits under the rim scrubbed out (oh that was nasty!), but it looks brand new again. I even got all the lime scale under the waterline and splattered paint in the tank cleaned up. I couldn't even read the stamps on the tank before.

It was a dirty job, but it was worth it. Now I just need DH to come home and lift it out of the bin - and then wet vac all the water & CLR out of the bin.

I also epoxied the broken chips that came off the front of the base so now I just have one piece - I haven't glued it to the toilet yet because I wasn't sure how hard I'd be on that corner when I was cleaning it, but I'll get it put on soon.

Always ;-)
    Hunzi
    Just call me Mrs Mike Rowe (ohh there's a thought!!!)

Mini update - I industriously located the wet vac, cleaned out all the crud in it, and began to suck all the water out of the bin - and then it began to spray a lovely foam of CLR & Water ALL OVER THE KITCHEN! Yes, I am that awesome. I have invented a completely new way to clean your entire kitchen. I have now managed to clean up most of the mess and finished emptying the water out of the bin. I am taking a quick break now so I can either laugh hysterically or cry.

I just keep telling myself life is all about the stories.
    Always ;-)
    Hunzi
    cleaner of kitchens and toilets

This post was edited by hunzi on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:41

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

You really should start a blog or get on tumblr or something. You make me laugh so much! Thanks!

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ironically, I have a blog - but it's about my Mary Kay business and I'm neither terribly funny nor very consistent about writing there. I think I need to revisit that! ;-)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy Easter! He is Risen!!!

Oh happy day! I had DH put the new Hansgrohe Raindance showerhead (the 3 mode one) in the upstairs bathroom.

O.M.G! I loved it! It's so much better than the one we had. Now I'll have to think about whether it goes to the basement bathroom when we are done or I just buy a 2nd one. ;-)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• enduring
    9 years ago

What model have you got? I'd like to see a picture or the lookup model number:) Yes you should get a second one.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's Hansgrohe 27495 in Chrome.

I really liked it! DH just said he did too!

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe 27495

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh enduring! I'll be in your neck of the woods on Wednesday! Hopefully I'll get to hit some of those stores you recommended.

Always ;-)
    Hunzi
    still hunting for her white whale - the laundry sink

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey enduring! I got to see your antique shop today! Wow that place was a hoarder's paradise! ;-) It was pouring rain, so I didn't get to see as much as I'd like, but I did talk to the owners and let them know what I'm hunting for, and they were going to check out on their farm and see if they had a sink similar to what I want. - if not, they'd keep an eye out. It's going to show up eventually in someone's grandma's basement or barn - I just need to get the word out! ;-)

And in other fabulous news, my dog is in a stable remission and we won't have to keep coming up to IA State for chemo! (but I'll do the occasional check up there, so I'll get to see that store again when I have more time.)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• enduring
    9 years ago

Great news about your dear doggie! I haven't been to that antique store in probably 20 years. I'm glad you got to check it out :) I posted on my shower tile thread with information on my tile and NFM option.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Progress, progress, progress!

So this weekend was phase two on the flooring project! We primed the floor, laid out the RFL (got the thermal break thinseted down, laid out the mats, primed the mats and thermal cork), and poured the Self Leveling Concrete!

It took 14 bags. And I had estimated perfectly (bought 15). About halfway through, DH panicked and thought we were going to come up a lot short. So I was sent out on an emergency run for more. By the time I got back with 15 more bags, they were pouring the last 2.

No worries - we'll use the rest for pouring the rest of the basement. Heh - now he has to do it.

I just went down and looked - and while there's still a couple of high spots by the wall in the electrical closet, and behind where the washer & dryer will be, the rest of the floor is FLAT and Level!

Yay!

Next up we're waiting a few days for the SLC to cure, then have to move the washer & dryer back in place for laundry.

Next steps - back to basic construction - framing in the bathroom, (yes we leveled before we framed - it was that bad). Then we'll do all the rough plumbing & electrical and we need to hook up the new water softener and get the hot water heater/water softener closet all situated.

Then I think DH wants to do the tub alcove and tile before going back to the floor. Plus there's loads of millwork to do in both the bathroom and laundry.

I'm hoping we'll get the rooms done before the end of the summer.

Always ;-)
    Hunzi
    hoping the progress starts to get momentum

• enduring
    9 years ago

Hunzi, you won't get done with the bathroom before this thread runs its limit of 150 post :0 You will have to start a part II I'm afraid.

Looking forward to the pictures!

btw did you see my comments about NFM tile options and RBC tile showroom? It is on my shower tile thread I believe.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, I did! And I have both pinned your photos and the info to my Pinterest board for that bathroom!

150 post limit? How cruel. Don't they know some of us have projects that last for eons? ;-)

I'll try to make this one count - a photo of a flat floor!

• hunzi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Super fast mini progress report!

Floor: Level.
    Framing: Started!
    Put in all fixtures temporarily again and got to see how all of them work together!
    Layout finalized! Yay!
    Most supplies are here - still need to finalize orders on tile.
    Lots of questions coming.

Super Busy! Two teens graduating from high school today! ;-)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

More progress! Congratulations to your graduates!

• Hunzi
    8 years ago

FYI, since this was begun back when things were GardenWeb not Houzz, this thread has a 2nd part - here: http://bit.ly/1i1WTV8

• stickgarden
    2 years ago

I wonder if you’ll see this! I so relate to your story of the endless renovations. Anyway I’m looking to install a nearly identical shower/tub system in my only bathroom. I love the look of the hansgrohe fixtures but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how it all goes together with a tub, and two shower heads, all in one space. I would LOVE to know, 5 years later, how you feel about your shower and what advice you can give me for putting it all together! It’s the only place in my house where we can actually bathe ourselves, so I need to have everything in the house before the plumber arrives. No time for forgetting a part! The neighbors won’t be keen on letting us use their showers for weeks on end, and I have given up my gym membership to save up for fancy tile.

• Hunzi
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I did see this! And yes, I still LOVE it five years later. We still haven't begun the 2nd-floor bathroom, aka the 1925 Hall Bath/Faux Master which is our only bathroom on the bedroom level with a clawfoot tub & a shower ring. So the Starting From Dirt Basement Bathroom is still my favorite place to shower.

So here's how to do the Starting From Dirt Basement Bath set up:

Hansgrohe Ibox rough in

Shower & tub fixtures - Hansgrohe Rain S Showerhead & hand shower

S Thermostatic Trim with Volume Control and Diverter (tub to shower)

Kohler HydroRail Shower Column and Diverter (showerhead to hand shower)

Metris S tub filler

The Tub Filler & Hydrorail are tied together at the Ibox by the diverter on the shower trim, the two showerheads switch between each other on the Hydorail. Run it all by your plumber - I don't know if all these parts (especially the hydrorail) are still available!

Good luck!

Also, here's a link to Part 2 of the Adventure: https://tinyurl.com/ydntvkzc

• stickgarden
    2 years ago

Thank you!! On the advice of the sales person for hansgrohe, I bought a diverter to go between the two shower heads, and I bought a tub spout with a diverter to go between the tub and the shower. I also bought a rail which may or may not have a diverter on it? It will all be here soon and I’ll definitely run it by the plumber. I hope it’s all going to work, I managed to choose parts that were all in stock and I’m a bit worried about the supply chain situation if we get into ordering different parts!

• stickgarden
    2 years ago

Glad to hear you love it. I’ve stayed in hotels with hansgrohe showers that I loved, which is why I got fixated on their fixtures.

• Hunzi
    2 years ago

The Hydrorail doubles as both the shower rail (to mount the hand shower) plus the fixed shower head mounts at the top, and the diverter is integrated at the bottom (plus it's a safety grab bar because we blocked the wall behind the tile with plywood and used long screws to mount it). I liked that it did everything except switch between the showerheads and the tub filler and I didn't have to have a second separate diverter on the wall - when you are working with the short wall on a tub, there isn't a lot of real estate on the wall. I'll pop down and see if I can take a photo tonight or tomorrow that shows the setup a little more clearly.

• stickgarden
    2 years ago

That sounds like what I need! I’ll look into it. A grab bar is good- we aren’t getting any younger.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living