Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pendants in bathroom above medicine cabinet

Posted by liviarimon (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 17:31

My decorator suggested that we put mini pendants above the 30 by 30 inch triview recessed medicine cabinet.
I am concerned about the glare from the light and also if there would be enough light. Right now we have 2 high hats in a soffit and this is great. She suggested we get rid of the soffit and put a pendant in that space. It would look similar to this picture .
http://www.houzz.com/photos/71675/Powder-Bath-contemporary-powder-room-other-metro
Will there be enough light? Some of the pendants use Led lighting. Does that glare less than halogen? is the led light cold and too white?
Really like the idea and the decorator is usually right on target but when I go to the lighting store they all try to talk me out of it saying that pendant are usually at eye level not higher up.
My ceiling is 8 ft high.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pendants in bathroom above medicine cabinet

WIth an 8' ceiling, I'd say no. A pendant won't provide any more or less light than a standard above the mirror sconce. However, with only 8', there just isn't enough room for any dangle with the mirror placed properly. Even a small pendant won't drop down but maybe 6"-8" and that's not enough drama for the hassle of doing it.

o
RE: pendants in bathroom above medicine cabinet

If your current soffit lighting is great, I don't see any reason to change to pendants, as I doubt the light quality would change and the look won't be that striking because of the short drop.

To improve the quality of lighting at a mirror you would be better off with side-lighting. Overhead light is supposed to be less flattering and casts shadows that make it harder to apply makeup, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here