Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
8x7 Room- Basic Layout Help

Posted by Elm110 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 17:22

We are redoing our master bath and removing the unused whirlpool tub to put in a shower. (1) 7' seems like a huge space for a shower in our small home, but to keep expenses down, we were hoping to keep the plumbing layout the same. (2) I'm concerned, too, that a shower door (frameless ideally) across the 7' span won't have room to open given the location of the door to the bathroom. We can't do a pocket door, so is there room for a barn door style on the exterior of the room? The door is 32"W and there's just 32" to one side of it. Any ideas? I'm new to this. Here are pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 8x7 Room- Basic Layout Help

You have enough length in the shower to skip the door completely and just have a partial frameless glass panel about 4 feet long, giving you 3 feet to enter the shower. OR you could change the swing of the wood door and have it open into the other room instead of the bath area.

-Babka

o

I agree with Babka. It would be the perfect space for a walk in shower. Look on Houzz or pintrest for some ideas. Good luck.

o

Personally, I would stick to a 5 foot shower, and use the extra 2 feet for storage. Then you'd be able to find standard sized shower doors/base, and gain useful space.
Here's a pic from Houzz, though I wouldn't leave the door space open, I like a nice warm shower, and often find doorless showers drafty.

This one is not built in, but gives you the idea,

30 inch or more deep space can be too deep, so you could use the back part for a niche in shower?

o

I think we're going to have to put in a tub for family reasons. I did find some standard tubs that are 5.5', leaving me 1.5' to put in shelving/narrow closet for storage. Anyone have a preference among Americh Turo or Hydro System Sydney or Jason? The cast iron tubs (Bellweather) are lower but they have that nonskid surface that is so hard to keep clean...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here