Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Bill, guess what! Laticrete piece on the SI Memorial

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

Hey Bill (and others, just calling to Bill because he knows the Laticretes personally :)),

Did you see the piece on the SI Memorial?! My Malina (Terri Irwin's late rescue cougar) is front and center on the title page! (along with Nancy Neubauer's camel -- for some reason a camel and a cougar are neck and neck, as it were...but anyway) I couldn't believe I was seeing my dear Malina there!

They were so wonderful to Sandy during the process...I am DYING to know what Terri thinks of my rendition of her dear one--Sandy hasn't told me anything yet...but I see that they rearranged some of the tiles, I think to make the face somewhat 3-D, it was explained to me...I want to see the panels in person sometime...

Here she is :)

Here is a link that might be useful: I love all the specifics about what they used :)

Comments (14)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

That's extraordinary work!! You did the cougar?

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, although the number of times I reworked every single inch of that face I figure I did 5 or 6 cougars LOL!

They definitely rearranged some of the tesserae, though, not only for the 3-D, but to put the grass around it. I didn't have grass around it. I can't imagine what a challenge it must have been to try to put all those *hundreds* of contributions together into anything approaching coherence.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

OH MY! What an amazing talent! Thank you for posting your beautiful work!

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

Your work is absolutely gorgeous! The cougar is amazing. Congratulations!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

They're right, Fly-- that cougar is beautiful, as is the rest of the project. Absolutely stunning! I'm going to post the link over at John's in the Pros forum in the amazing work thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Your Craziest Custom Design?

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

fly, you are amazing! I didnt know you had that talent. plus what a nice tribute..
    show me more of your tesserae work. I want to learn :) I would love to do an ukiyoe in glass tiles for my wabisabi bathroom ...

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw, go on with y'all :) There are so many amazing animals in that project, contributed (all work done pro bono, btw, not on commission -- by everyone from professionals to schoolkids) from all over the world. My DD even has an American Grey Wolf in there too, so the Western Hemisphere top carnivores are in the house :) (or maybe "on the wall" is more appropriate)

Bill, so cool that you posted it over there on the Thread of Honor! Laticrete deserves a whole lot of credit for making this happen on the Australia end, but then again who wouldn't want to help honor Steve Irwin (and Terri), IMO...

(I went to see your post and can't *believe* that trompe l'oeil shower that was posted the page before - WOW! I have to do that in some shower before I die :))

pharoah, you know what? I discovered mosaics because of the Kitchens Forum -- when the backsplash decision came around I got a bad case of Ann Sacks-itis and ended up DIYing something that was inspired by one of the Erin Adams patterns that we never could have afforded :)(isn't the same, but that's where the motivation came from). It was really simple yet tedious, and I moved on from there. I'm *still* trying to carve out time to finish an extra, more interesting panel I decided to do for above the sink!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

What a wonderful mural and your work is wonderful. I love the fact that you gave your creativity and time to add to a wonderful mural treasure. That was good of you.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Flyleft! Wow!

Congrats girlfriend!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Bill, so cool that you posted it over there on the Thread of Honor!

If ANY project deserves to be there, this is the one.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

Fly, BEE YOO TEE FULL work! My hat is off to you and the others who so generously contributed to the project.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mongo, thanks, guyfriend :)

Bill, I remember Sandy saying that when she'd open every package and see all the loving work that went into the tiny butterflies or frogs or whatever kids did, she'd not be able to keep from crying. Granted, she's a bit labile (in a good way :)), but I can completely understand what she means. I only wish it were not such a sad event that elicited this outpouring.

bbstx, thanks! Nancy Neubauer did the camel that Malina is considering pouncing on (at least that's the story I have made up to explain why a camel and a cougar would be right next to each other :)), along with some *amazing* parrots, who are her pets, actually, and some other masterful additions; I don't know who did the zebra, unfortunately. There is actually a blog somewhere with all the pieces individually photographed pre-mounting -- I'll try to find it.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Hey Fly-- shoot me an email, and I'll forward one to you that I just received. As a result of posting that link over at John's I might have some PAYING work for you. :-)

Funny-- I post over there for people here, and vice versa! I should start my own nationwide referral service! Maybe I could get off of my knees!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

O.K., Bill, e-mail coming :) Nice of someone to think of that, even if nothing ever comes of it. Gave me a smile :)