Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Very odd shaped bathroom, wasted space, please help

akl_vdb
10 years ago

We have angles everywhere in this house. It's a bit challenging. I've drawn a layout of our bathroom/closet. It's a big space, but also a lot of wasted space. We've had a couple designers/bathroom people come in, but so far the only ideas have been to keep everything as is just have new stuff. I'd like to move things around but unsure how.

I wouldn't mind a bigger shower. We do have another tub in the other bathroom. But I think I would like to keep a tub in the master bath. Just a soaker.

The window must stay. On the other side of the angled vanity is the stairway going down stairs.

Any ideas? Any ways to switch the closet and bathroom around?
Thank you so much!

Comments (10)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bathroom pic

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Maybe you could have the closets on either side of the pocket door. The angled wall could have tilted shelves mounted to it for floor to ceiling shoe storage. I like having the bathroom and closet together but I think it might be better to be able to access the closet without having to wait for someone to get out of the bathroom.

Move the bathroom down into the closet area and square it off.
    I'll try to sketch out what I'm thing about later. I'm at work right now.

You do have a lot of footage and sometimes the quirkiness of a space can be asset.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lotteryticket. I was thinking of something like that. Would love to see a sketch if you have the time.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Could you put shower where your vanity is? So a large corner shower, right angles out into room, angle where the vanity is. Tub beside shower, a free-standing soaker?
    Then toilet where shower is now, and vanity where tub is?

This gives you a much bigger shower, much more useable vanity, and less space for tub, but enough for a soaker.

Do you utilize the wall where your mirrored doors are in the closet? If not, you could take maybe a foot or so from your closet and add it to BR. Or, keep the 66" in closet, just make the 60" into one 30" door, pocket or swinging. and build a half wall of shelves/storage in the closet.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas raehelen. I could make the doorways smaller, it is a bit of wasted space. With the vanity where the tub is, I have a window there. How would you place the vanity?
    Thanks for the ideas! I really appreciate them.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I love natural light, (my name is Rae after all! LOL), so to me having a vanity under a window is not a problem. I looked on Houzz and there are tons of vanities under windows. Many used the window part to make a make-up/vanity section, but I don't think your vanity is long enough for that. I would probably put the sink/mirror to one side and leave counter under the window.

Here's an example from Houzz:

[Beach Style Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2110) by Boston Interior Designers & Decorators Elizabeth Swartz Interiors

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Neat, thanks Rae! I never thought of putting the vanity on that side, but I can see how it might be nice with the shower/tub somewhere else.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

This is one idea I was thinking of last night. I forgot to sketch in the window. Is having that over the toilet a deal breaker? We have a window over ours but it looks out over woods with no house in sight.

You could put the tub and shower side by side and might be able extend the tub deck into the shower for a bench if there's enough room. Sorry this is not at all to scale. But it's always good to see a bunch of different layouts.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lotteryticket! Mine isn't to scale either, and that was stretching my creativity as it was :) This is really interesting to see another view of it. I really appreciate the effort. I like how it kind of 'hides' the angle.

Thanks!

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

You can't read my scribbles but that small piece on the angled well was supposed to be for some narrow shelves or angled shelves for shoes. It could go from floor to ceiling, leave it open or install a glass paneled door to let in the light.