Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liveinseattle

what 10k can buy for a bathroom?

liveinseattle
11 years ago

we are in planning stage for master bathroom re-do. my budget is 10k. It will be a DIY project, but we will have plumber to move plumbing. the only fixed item on my list is TOTO one-piece toilet ( we have AS one right now, and I hate it. it seems taking forever to finish flushing and have to flushing few times to stop water from running.) we installed TOTO toilet in hall bathroom, and very happy with it. This will be 3/4 bath with shower no tub. I would like a towel warmer, but it seems very expensive. Any thought on what to get for master bath?

Comments (14)

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

No problem. $1k tile, 1k Kraftmaid vanity, 250 sink, 250 faucet, 500 showerhead, 1k glass door, 300 towel bars and other hardware, 500 mirrors, 250 lighting... money left for plumber and granite and miscellaneous.

I could do a lot with 10k. It depends on what materials you want and how large the shower is. Are you building, tiling the shower yourselves?

• User
    11 years ago

If you are moving plumbing and paying a plumber, then you are talking builder grade materials for everything else. The best way to stretch 10K for a bath is to not move the plumbing.

Bath plumbing fixtures are surprising expensive. Start there and work your way back for the budget to the tile, then the vanity and countertop and accessories. Figure out what you want in your shower, and how you can get that. If you do leave the plumbing in place, then you may have room in the budget for something beyond just a basic showerhead and hand shower if that's what you want. But again, only if you aren't paying a plumber 5K to move everything around.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Hollysprings nailed it. The plumber will be the most expensive thing. And it depends on if you have a slab that must be cut through and trenched for drains or if you have a basement that can be worked in.

I'd get those estimates first. I built one from the studs recently and it cost about $3,500 for the plumber, the guy who built the shower pan, and the guy who hung the wonderboard and drywall in a 5x10' bath in So Cal. I had a slab floor.
    Renee

• liveinseattle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for answer my question. in out current master bath, the sink is open to the bedroom and the toilet+shower has a compartment with a pocket door. It is 12x11' area wit a reach-in closet on the 12' wall. a window on another 12' wall, the 11' opening to the master bed room. I have come up 2 layout plans and trying to figure out the best way to use this space. No way we can keep everything in the same place. we need move plumbing for sink and toilet. will keep shower plumbing but make shower bigger. we did other bathroom 3 years ago, and paid plumber 1500 to get new hot/cold water lines to the washer, added hand shower to the tub/shower combo, and kept existing shower head plumbing. we also had him installed all fixtures for tub/shower combo. but my husband installed toilet and vanity faucet .
    I am think about 2k for plumbing, 500 for toilet 1000 for tile/etc( we will install tiles ourselves). Frame wall and dry wall cost maybe minimal, if we re-use the 2X4s from existing wall we taking down.
    We already has a fan in the room. We will keep our elf closet system and re arrange it after all done.
    Other items on the list:

A regular door
    New window
    Dry wall and etc.
    Vanity
    Linen closet
    Sink
    Shower fixture
    Faucet
    Lighting
    Mirror
    Other accessories

I want to make a walking shower without door, may just tile walls up, that will save some money.

This will be � bath, no tub.

will see if I can sty in budget

• User
    11 years ago

Be sure that you are not going to be penny wise and pound foolish here. DIY is a great way to save money. But only if you have the skills and understand the processes. Read up on how to construct a fully waterproof shower. There are even pros that don't do it correctly.

And your estimate for moving the plumbing is low. You may even need a bit of structural work in order to move the toilet. Don't cut any of the floor joists without fully understanding what they support and how, and even IF they could possibly be cut. I've seen way too many homes wher plumbers and electricians cut holes willy nilly in the framing until the integrity of the home was suspect. Don't let that happen to you.

If you look online for tile from Craigslist and pick up some interesting deco tiles to use as an accent then you can create a pretty shower without a lot of expense in the tile. You'll still have the expense of the backer board and waterproofing to do though. Just the plumbing fixtures for the shower can top 2K for even medium priced plumbing lines if you want something other than a simple shower head in a chrome finish. If the window is in the shower, its worth it to get something completely waterproof such as a high quality vinyl or fiberglass. Anything else is a waste of money, but high quality isn't cheap. The 60" vanity and linen cabinet that I just ordered for my sister was 3K from a medium priced cabinet line. That included a standard wood (alder) and only a light glaze to accent it. There was a nice chunky crown and 4 decorative bun feet for the vanity, but that's really it for the upgrades.

I'd urge you to save more money and develop more DIY knowledge and skills before tackling this job. And post your layout on here for assistance in figuring out how it can be altered with the least amount of moving stuff around.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I'm in seattle area too, and the plumbing WILL kill your budget. I'm in the midst of a remodel. Trim out alone (for 2 simple baths) was 1250 among my least expensive quotes. The actual plumbing--stuff I can't do (trim out, I might do), was 4500 and up. (btw--my 2 bathrooms are side by side, no new stacks, easy access to water heater, etc).

• liveinseattle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Hollysprings
    Thank you for your message. I knew everything is expensive nowadays . We did hall bath 3 year ago, and bought 42" vanity cabinet and a 24" linen closet 2 30" wall cabinets in maple with play box construction and plain white paint totaled $3800. I am not planning to go over kill for the vanity this time, may looking for the vanity/sink/top combo. We put fiber board down on the floor and walls for tiling, but we had Tub/shower combo in hall bath, and it made tiling easy. Attached is my current bath/clost layout, I have come up 2 plans and all require moving plumbing. any other suggestions? we have to have closet, we don't need tub, just shower is Ok. prefer have a door to bathroom.
    hi, Kirkhall, Plumbing can be very expensive. We had 5 bid from 3 big plumbing companies and 2 from independent plumbers. we went with an independent plumber. He was not cheapest, but we feel he was nice and easy to work with, and he paid attention to what we wanted. we will call him to find out what he will charge this time. We get all tiles from "discounttiles", and pre-cut all corners at shop after I designed the tile layout. Straight cut with no charge from this store. But we did pay them to cut a big hole on a tile for the shower trim, we used 18x18 tiles on floor and walls, with 2x2 accent tiles. Bigger tiles means lesser grout. The hall bath turned out great. Knock on the wood..

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

Last year I gutted an 7' x 12' bath. Used all quality products: Toto toilet, Grohe shower valve and shower head, new 6 panel door, 55" floating vanity, $6 sq ft tile for shower and floor, glass shower door, new can lights, digital timer for bath fan. It was about $8,000. You should be OK with $10k.

I needed some plumbing help with moving the toilet. I asked around (try a local hardware store), and found a retired plumber. I got everything all prepped - it took the two of us about a day - cost me $300 and a dinner.

Check out this web site for vanities: http://virtuusa.com/

Their vanities come with the sink, marble counter top, faucet, drain stopper and mirror - no need to buy individual components - and they are quality.

• suzanne10023
    11 years ago

We did floor-to-ceiling ming green marble, with a mosaic floor and walk-in shower with a bench and lots of fussy extras, for

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

suzanne10023, I am considering ming green for my new bathroom. Do you have pictures and could you show them and tell me what brand your tile was possibly?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Here is Suzanne's spectacular bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ming Green Bath

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

Thanks hosenemesis !
    Suzanne if you check back and know the tile brand, could you share. Not sure if all ming green is created equal and yours is gorgeous!

• kompy
    11 years ago

I am in the middle of gutting and remodeling my 1930's bathroom. Me and my 11 yr old son gutted it ourselves. Here's what we've spent so far.

$1396 New Sterling Tub,Surround & fixtures, installed by plumber
    $1039 42x18 Showplace "furniture style" vanity; inset Concord doors; Vintage distressed finish
    $300 Silestone quartz top (scrap price)
    FREE Kohler Caxton sink; given to me
    $38 Crystal knobs for vanity
    $79 Broan built in wall heater
    $95 Grohe faucet at Lowes
    $49 Mirror
    $39 Train Rack for towels (Tuesday Morning); Was $189 at Rest. Hardware and Pottery Barn
    $15 Toilet paper holder
    $40 White Spa Shower Curtain
    $300 Hex style vintage flooring
    $180 Beadboard from Nantucket Beadboard
    $100 Trim
    $258 Lighting
    $80 Fan
    $900 Electrical
    $180 New toilet
    $1000 Labor (w/ good friend discount)
    $33 New handtowels and bath mat at Tuesday Morning.
    $200 Misc. Odd-n-ends (paint...)
    Re-used existing curved shower rod.

$6321

I will post pics when it's done next week. It's take us about 3 weeks.