Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

How narrow is too narrow: toilet room and vanity area?

kaysd
13 years ago

Our master bath is in serious need of an update. It is 6' wide by 9'3" long. When you walk in (door is on one of the 6' walls), the toilet is immediately to the right of the door, then a single sink vanity is next to the toilet on the long wall. There is a 4' wide "aisle" immediately in front of the door, and a 5'x32" tub/shower is on the opposite wall (with a 1' bump out wasting space so the builder could use a cheap 5' tub instead of a 6' tub).

We can borrow a small amount of space from the master bedroom, but the max the bath can be is 7'4"x9'3" (interior measurements). We would like a large walk-in shower, 38" tall double vanity, and a separate toilet room. I think I might have found a plan that will work, but wonder if certain areas will feel too tight. My plan is to leave the toilet in the lower right corner, but turn it to face the far wall, rather than the door. The toilet would be enclosed in a room that is 30"x6' interior space, then a 4" wide wall with a pocket door, then a 34" aisle that the door to the bathroom will open onto, then a 20"x6' vanity in the lower left corner. The shower would still be at the opposite end and be 3'x7'4".

DH is worried 30" is too narrow for the toilet room, but our guest bath has a 33" long full height wall between toilet and shower that leaves 29" of width in the toilet area between the shower wall and outside wall, and I don't feel like the space is too narrow while using the toilet (although the area in front of the toilet is wide open). I also wonder if 34" between the vanity and toilet room wall is enough space. In our last house, we had 36" between vanity and bathtub, and it was plenty of floor space to move around and use the vanity, but the tub had "open air" above it, and the full wall may feel more closed in.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz