Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Another bathroom grout vs. caulk question!

girlgroupgirl
11 years ago

Hello:
I have never posted on this forum before, but I'm a gardenweb user.
A few years ago we had a lovely basement bathroom installed with a tiled shower. Every year the shower corners crack. I've re-grouted them, sealed them...and this year the cracks against the exterior wall are greater.
The grout lines where the walls meet are fairly large, almost 1/2 an inch, and they are fairly deep. There is durarock behind them, however in the corners there are voids.
It has been suggested on this forum and on other tile forums I've read to use a sanded, siliconized calk where planes change in tile, as opposed to grout. Since I couldn't find it here, I mail ordered laticrete sanded caulk.
However, now I've read some other comments by people that their sanded caulk shrunk very badly.

So my question: is this this brand of caulk right medium? Should backer rod be placed in the void after I remove all the grout? Will this caulk seal the "edges" of everything including other grout lines? You see the tiles are not square, they are oval with crosses between them, so there is other grout around this area that is not part of the corner and cracking issues. I want to ensure we're all sealed up and can use this shower again, after the caulk cures, of course (I do not see a curing time on these tubes...)

Thanks for any help. I am trying to avoid completely removing all the tile and having the shower re-done again. The tile is beautiful and no longer available....
girlgroupgirl

Comments (4)