Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twss_gw

Help with final tile decisions / 2 days to install!

twss
9 years ago

Hello all - I've been a lurker here getting great ideas and help when remodeling our 1980's bathroom.

We ripped out the old Jacuzzi tub and will now have a large shower. I have gone back and forth on tile decisions and would appreciate some opinions.

We have already install the dark gray slate-look tile on the floor and plan to put in a marble look in the shower. I had picked out a glass and marble listello to do in a line around the shower, but now I am getting cold feet. I like the components of the listello, but I'm worried it will look to stripe-y. I don't know how to post more than one picture in a post, so I'll start with the shower tile.

Comments (13)

• twss
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the listello tile. The Arabesque is for the floor of the shower. Also shown is the panel of the vanity.

• twss
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I'm wondering if I should skip the listello all together, or maybe use the arabesque floor tile as a listello on the shower wall also? Grouted in white or gray? And if I did that, what to border it in?

Any opinions or help is appreciated. Tile guys come in two days and I've got to make my final decision.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I would skip the accent tile in the shower. The glass and marble one looks too contemporary for the marble & vanity design. The listello looks too white next to the marble - I would actually like to see the dark grey tile on the shower floor too. I don't think classic looks like what you have typicallyhave an accent strip. Less is more IMO.

• twss
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about dark on the shower floor, but everyone has cautioned me that soap scum is more visible on dark surfaces. The vanity has a solid white top and the arabesque tile in good lighting doesn't seem too white next to the faux marble.

I kind of agree that less is more, but I'm getting flack from the family that just solid gray and white is looking to sterile.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would not put the stripe with the arabesque--it's too many patterns. I don't think marble ever needs any embellishment.

Having said that, I had this saved in my Houzz Ideabook along with several other unique ideas for using accents. You could frame the arabesque in place of the subway tile. I like accent tile when run vertically through the plumbing fixtures or through the shower niche.

{{gwi:2132990}}

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Jason Ball Interiors, LLC

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Here it gives a waterfall effect, which skinny tiles would accentuate.

{{gwi:2132991}}

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Los Angeles Interior Designers & Decorators Georgette Westerman Interiors

• Gracie
    9 years ago

This one is more about the different textures while keeping the color palette soft. But I think you can see how adding a different shape to the large format and arabesque would be too much pattern.

{{gwi:2132992}}

[Transitional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2112) by Vancouver Interior Designers & Decorators Enviable Designs Inc.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Could you just vary the direction of the marble tile to create a little interest? Maybe a waterfall effect like the pics mayflowers posted?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like it the way it looks in the first picture. I'm not a fan of adding "interest" for no good reason!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Agree with the others who suggest skipping the listello tile. The shower floor and vanity detail will give you enough "interest." Adding a recessed shampoo box in the shower will also break up the space and add interest without being distracting or competing with the other elements.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

+12

Agree with ditching the listello.

Agree with not putting in a strip of arabesque.

Agree with numbersjunkie that with that wall tile, with the bathroom floor having a charcoal or dark gray slate look-a-like, I think that same dark tile on the shower floor would look terrific. You can use the same tile but cut it into smaller pieces, or use it in a different pattern, etc.

If you still wanted an inset on the walls, then perhaps inset a deco strip of the same dark slate that was used on the floor. Again, it could be a different size than the wall tile, but in proportion to the marble rectangles. Just don't get too cute.

Carrying the slate through the room can help unify the various tiled surfaces in the room, and shifting pattern and/or size can keep it interesting. You want to keep it simple though...again, the goal is to not get too cute or to "over design" the design.

Marble and charcoal slate? To me, it's a classic look. The materials will show themselves off. A simple yet coordinated pattern will let the material shine.

Get your colors to punch the room up a bit with your accent items. Wall paint if desired. But definitely change out your towels, floor rugs, etc, as your mood or the seasons change.

Sorry for rambling.

• kats737
    9 years ago

I agree with others to skip the listello. I really think that kind of tile is going to scream 201-s bathroom down the line.

Don't listen to people who think your bathroom will look sterile. I am biased because I am doing white walls and white tile :) but IMO, exquisite materials and finishes will speak for themselves.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love the first picture, so no accent stripe or anything with arabesques or the other tiles. Less is more. The only type of accent I would consider is textural, tone on tone.