Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuscatie

If You have a Bain Airtub - I Have a Question

cactuscatie
16 years ago

Our Oval Amma Bain airtub was installed last week. The lowest setting is 5% which still moves the water considerably. I can't believe that there is not a level that moves the water much less, more like a more calming ripple movement. I've heard that there are activities that you can do on the keypad that is not mentioned in the manual. I'm hoping someone might have figured it out. Thanks for any help.

Comments (44)

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Yes there are activities on the keypad that are not listed in the manual. I was given this information by BU tech support when I called for the exact same reason you've written about. I've given instructions on the forum but maybe you didn't see it :)
    Press and hold, for about 25 seconds, the upper left button on the control panel till you see the new menu. You'll have a menu that offers *lower intensity* (I think thats the phrase). If not, you'll recognize it. You'll have an Enable and Disable option. Push the upper right button for Enable and then exit out of the menu. You'll have a soft rolling action at %5...a bit more than a calming ripple but MUCHO less intensity than the raging river at 5% on the default menu. Warning: When I did this the first time, I ended up with two(2) "Contact Us" options on the default menu. One of the Contact Us took the place of my Chroma option :o YIKES! In case it happens to you, don't worry. I called tech support and was told how to fix it. Repeat the steps to get back to the secret menu. Scroll thru the list of options till you come to the *com.* option and select it. Scroll down to the *M2* option and select. I don't recall if this resets everything or just the duplicate listing. IF this happens and you find yourself back to the default intensity, just atart over. I much prefer the lower intensity menu to the default. You have a greater variance of speeds.
    Monica

• cactuscatie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

monicakm, thanks so much. I knew I read it here last week but when I looked today for your post I couldn't find it. Sometimes I like to relax in a babbling brook instead of a raging river :) And why the heck is there a secret menu anyway...sheeeshhh

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

::And why the heck is there a secret menu anyway::

That's what the tech support guy and I would both like to know! Seems to us that more options to the customer would be a desirable thing to advertise. The almost negligible difference in water intensity was the first thing I noticed and wasn't at all happy with it :( I thought something was wrong with my tub and honestly, I don't know that there's not. But it's the only complaint I have. Did you know you can increase the amt of time you have till the dryer comes on? When the jets stop and the dryer icon is flashing, press the upper left button twice to add 10 minutes. You can add additional time by repeating. Last night I pushed it 2x to add 10 minutes, paused and added 10 more minutes but the dryer came on at 20 mins, not 30. You may have to wait a certain amt of time before adding more time.
    Monica

• cactuscatie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Monica for the extra info. Anything else I should know? If I press a button three times will it pour me a nice glass of wine...lol

I have printed this post and added it to my official Bain manual...thanks again.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

You're welcome cactuscatie. I've been trying to figure out how to get a Bahama Mama out of it but so far, no luck :(

• deegeegirl
    16 years ago

Wow, I just happened to stumble across this. Thanks, monicakm! This sounds terrific. We have a BU Naos and I've found that the low setting is way too much. It wasn't relaxing at all and I had water splashing all over the place. I hope these tricks work on our model, too. I thought their instruction manual was very poorly written. And, then to learn there's a secret menu! Wonder what else they haven't told us.

• dlm99
    16 years ago

I am in the middle of my master bath redo & have the 7242 BU Alma waiting in my garage to be installed.I am glad I saw these posts which I am sure will be very useful when we start to use the tub. That said, since I have no exp w/the tub yet, I don't know how complicated it will be but it seems complicated. I can't believe that they made it this way. I believe I have the Mia Multi control. All us BU owners should voice our concern to BU Cust Svc to see if they will make a change to the controls and ship us new & improved versions.

• brendamc
    16 years ago

I wrote to their customer service saying I was considering purchasing one or two, but am concerned about reading all these threads about the complexity of their controls. This was my reply:

Good Day !

Thank you for your interest in our product. We have launched a new line of controls on December 1st 2007. The control for the Elegancia Series is the MIA Plus (see attached picture). It is very intuitive. You can find the operating instructions on our website under DOCUMENTATION and then Control - User Guides.

We still have the hidden option of lowering the power of the air coming out of the jets for people who are more sensitive to a all encompassing massage.

If you require further information or to order our DVD, catalogue, therapy guide or Essential Care products, visit our web site at www.bainultra.com or call one of our product consultants and I, or one of my colleagues, will be happy to assist you. Have a wonderful day!

Best Regards,
    XXXX

Anyone that's purchased one recently have any thoughts on this?

• deegeegirl
    16 years ago

Monicakm,

What model number is your control panel? Ours is the UR 5002, which is rectangular.

How is the upper left button on yours labelled? On ours, it's for on/off. Pushing and holding it for 25 seconds turns it on and then changes the drying duration. I didn't see anything come up about intensity. The manual shows other controllers like Zur - just curious which one you have. The manual says that you can turn the intensity down so children could use the tub, but that definitely wouldn't be possible in our tub now at even the lowest setting.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

But WHY is it HIDDEN? And if they have it "for" their customers, just how many of their customers would even know about this "hidden" menu? The intensity isn't the only thing that the "hidden" menu offers. I don't feel I'm "more sensitive" but prefer a wider degree of intensity the "hidden" control offers.
    Thanks for the information brendamc
    Monica

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

We must have hit "submit" at the same time :) It wasn't possible on the lowest setting on my tub either, till I was told about the hidden menu. Here is our control. I think it's the Z2. As you can see, there is nothing on the screen display at the main menu. During the drying cycle, the dryer icon flashes in that corner and you can push it twice to add 10 minutes to the drying delay time. Call BU about the hidden menu for your control. I hope it has it. My 20 month old grandson loves to get in our tub and 5% and 10% intensity works well.
    Monica

• brendamc
    16 years ago

Exactly my question back:

Why are they hidden? Why not just have all options easily available?

Reply:

Bonjour !

All the useful functions are on the key pad and very easy to use.

We have a few hidden programmation option (very advances functions)
    for special cases. This information doesn't need to be in the General User Guide
    because it's seldom needed and would make the use of the control less friendly.

Anything else I may help you with ?

Are we all discussing controls made after Dec 1st, 07 or before?

• jbjust
    15 years ago

I'm emailing BainUltra now. We tried out our new Elegancia last night and the lowest setting (which I think is 10% on the Mia Plus controller) was still splashing water everywhere. I'll let you know if I find out where the "hidden" features are on the new controller.

• jbjust
    15 years ago

In case anyone cares, to access the hidden setting on the Mia Plus, do the following, but make sure the screen is completely blank before you start.

> Press and hold the "OK" button.
    > While holding the "OK" button, press the left or right arrow to go to the hidden menus
    > One of these menus will give you a choice of "high" or "low" for the blower setting.
    > Select "low" and press OK
    > Press on/off to return to the blank screen.

I just got off the phone with Bain and haven't tried this yet.

• educatorsusan
    14 years ago

WE have the AMMA 7048. WHERE do you put the MiaPLUS...on the tub...on the wall?? Any suggestions...installing tomorrow!

Hugs,
    Susan

• rtwill
    12 years ago

I have had nothing but problems with my BainUltra jet tub. The tub would turn on randomly throughout the night and eventually the keypad stopped functioning altogether. Tried getting the tub repaired and BainUltra would not honor their warranty. Buyer beware!

• lucianf
    12 years ago

I was amazed when I recently came across the 2010 price list for the TMU 6060 which I own. It has practically doubled in price since my purchase in 2005. They are great tubs, and made to very high standards. I'm still astonished at the price.

If I understand previous postings correctly, the "Z2" controler has extra features which can be accessed by depressing and holding the upper left button for 25 seconds? Bain Ultra no longer uses that controller. I happen to like the streamlined look of it though, and the orange led.

• alliemacdee
    11 years ago

I have a Bain Ultra Bath question that's different from the intensity issue. I have to add, though, that I think it's goofy that the intensity adjustment control is in a hidden secret spot. I knew about it before reading what you have written today but only by calling Bain Ultra. Anyway . . . my problem right now is that the light is on on my control panel (Z2 model) but there are no commands visible, i.e. no words to read, just a blank screen. If I randomly push buttons the pump will turn off and on but I need to read the full scoop. And of course it's a long weekend so I can't call Bain Ultra to find out what to do. Anyone have any ideas???? Would be much appreciated. Especially because this tub is in a guest suite and we have new guests arriving this afternoon. Thanks!

• yuhaftarun
    11 years ago

I have a Bain Ultra Bath with a Mia Series Control panel. Right now the only thing that works on the panel is the on/off button. The LED lights do not work either. What can I do to fix this?

• susini99
    11 years ago

Alliemacdee - did you ever solve your problem with the control panel not having any words on it? I am having the same problem.

• yuhaftarun
    11 years ago

My issue with the Bain Airtub/Mia Series control panel has been resolved. I wound up calling Bain. They had me do a series of tests on the control panel to determine it was in fact not working. Then they sent me another free of charge.

• Sonya Luse
    8 years ago

I am having an issue with the control panel. It is lit up, but when you press the buttons nothing happens. Does anyone have suggestions?

• rtwill
    8 years ago

Mine died and Bain Ultra refused to send me a new part. Clearly I'm not the only one having an issue. I would suggest buying a tub from another manufacturer -- preferably one based in the US that stands behind their products.

• alliemacdee
    8 years ago

susini99, I apologize! I did not see your question until now - years later. You've hopefully moved on from the problem but ours turned out to be a recurring one. Bain Ultra (BA) replaced one of our controls
    and then the same thing happened again about 6 months later. Then it was determined by the BA tech that
    the pump was the problem which seemed pretty weird to me. Because I had paid for the new control (not
    cheap) they sent me a new pump and another new control. Then of course the pump had to be replaced
    and when this place as built there were no access panels installed. The tub deck had to be ripped apart, then
    rebuilt, retiled etc. Not an easy or quick
    or inexpensive fix. Well, it did get
    fixed but I’m still not confident that that was the problem. When things were all ripped apart, it was
    noticed that one of the tiny wires going into the control was crimped or not
    fully into its receptacle (or whatever technical jargon would be applied here).

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

I haven't had an issue with my control panel or pump. The tub was put into use in Dec 07. You might check to see if there is a reset button. I don't know if anyone else does this but I stretch a stocking over the air intake on the pump (ours in in a closet at the front of the tub). I know it keeps from sucking in dust and pollen that might be in the air and shoot it out into your bath water...ew! Ohhhh, this thread is YEARS old. Oh well, maybe someone will come along and can benefit from it.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

Secret Menu's ! - That's fun. Like James Bond.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

My Bain Ultra tub is 8 years old. I've never experienced that. I don't see an option in the menu for the dry cycle to come on everyday at the same time. Maybe their Technical Support can help.

• Lana Johnson
    8 years ago

Thanks for your quick reply! I was wondering if I had inadvertently set up a timing mechanism for the dryer jets to come on. I can pretty much set my clock by it! I found out later that my tub was installed in 2004 and it's a "twoseater".......have any idea what the model name is? Thanks again!

• rtwill
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Customer support will try to get you to buy a new tub and won't solve your issue -- they might even try to pitch you a new keypad. I would never buy a Bain Ultra tub again.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Bain Ultra customer support has always been very friendly and helpful to me. They've never tried to sell me anything and in fact sent me some free scented bath additives. I'd suggest taking a picture of your tub and emailing it to Technical Support to see if they can identify which model you have. You may have a defective keypad and need a new one.

• Lana Johnson
    8 years ago

Thanks to both of you!!

• rtwill
    8 years ago

I even spoke to the president of the company (Henry Brunelle) on my issues and they were complete jerks. The best solution would be to run far away. Difficult to get anything accomplished since they are not a US company -- everything is run up in Canada with no ability for me to reach consumer protection agencies like you could here in the United States.

• rheanjd
    8 years ago

Hi Monica.. i had a question... my bain ultra amma 6060... doesn't have the chroma option even though i have it. .. any idea on what i can do?. ..i have to call bain ultra on monday but thought i would try here first. ..

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

"Doesn't have the chroma option" meaning it doesn't exist or it doesn't work? I'd have to call Bain Ultra either way... to see if it could be added after the fact or fixed. Sorry I couldn't help.

• alliemacdee
    8 years ago

Lana, you’ve probably figured it out by now but there definitely
    is an option to set the drying cycle at a certain time each day. It’s there, for exaple, for those that have a Bain Ultra
    as a tub/shower and that want it to go off when no one is home (ie - at work and/or
    school) so, say, at noon instead of after each time to tub is
    used. And it is easy to inadvertently
    set. When/if you phone Bain Ultra, they'll
    probably want to know what kind of control you have in order to guide you. If you don’t phone, look at your user manual
    (or find one online) for directions. On
    my Z2 control it is found when pushing Menu - Others - Drying Cycle. ‘Enable’ sets it to go off each day at
    whatever time you actually push that button; ‘disable’ makes it go off only
    after the pump has been used.

• Lana Johnson
    8 years ago

I shall be looking for that!! It used to be 6:47 p.m. until the time changed the first of the month. The other day I was walking into the area after work and it scared me to death when it star ted up!! Thanks for the info...................

• rheanjd
    8 years ago

Just spoke to Bain Ultra- they said the "Chroma" option can be put on the list by accessing the "Secret Menu".. Will go home and get it fixed :)

• Leslie Malotky
    8 years ago

Rheanjd, were you able to add the Chroma option back to your menu? I'm having the same issue and was hoping to find the resolution online. Thanks!

• alexis_wiley
    8 years ago

I think I have a BainUltra Mia. The most basic model. The air jets keep coming on every 20 or 30 minutes or so. I don't have a screen on my control panel. I can't turn it off. I tried pushing the on/off button twice. I pushed it once and that didn't work. I have no clue what to do. It's 2am. Please tell me how to stop this!

• jayhenryk
    7 years ago

We have just purchased a BainUltra AMMA 7048. Last night was the first night that we turned it on. Even at 10% massage, it is too powerful. Water splashing quite a bit. I have read about this secret menu. Does anybody know if this still exists and if so, how to access it. I phoned BainUltra today but just got their messaging system. I left a message but no one called back.

• kservos45
    6 years ago

Any more news on the "secret menu"? I tried folllwing some of the steps listed above, but since mine is a newer model (installed in 2017) I'm not sure the secret menu still exists. I'll try calling Bain Ultra soon, but agreed - even the 10% is too much!

• User
    6 years ago

Hi All,

We have just purchased an amma 60x32 bain ultra tub to replace a previous one we had. With the older model we had the turbine installed in our basement ceiling helping greatly with the noise. However, this new tub has a very short plug attached from the turbine to the tub. Has anyone tried to relocate the turbine further away and if so what steps were taken? It will reach if the turbine is upside down but I don't think that is how it is meant to be positioned.

• Karen Mitchell
    last year

I just spoke to Bain Ultra for my new 2020 Evanescence. You can reach the secret menu when the control panel is 'off' and holding the "OK" button until the secret menu comes on (about 25 seconds). I was able to lower the intensity on the tub. They did tell me that 40% and up intensity matches the 'standard' setting. I can't wait to try it.