Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akc_65

Duravit vs Americh tub

akc_65
9 years ago

I am remodeling and going from an old cast iron to acrylic. I have a small space (60 x 30 or 32) and we want it to be moderately deep (18-19") but less than a true soaker as it's our primary shower. So choices are limited.
The ones that interest me are the Duravit Architec or Duravit D code vs. the Americh Turo. None of the stores sell both of these brands and so I can't seem to get a real sense of direct comparison. The Americh is twice the price of the Duravit and I'm trying to understand why-- is there truly that much of a difference in quality? Ameritech is American and Duravit is German.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Anyone have any advice?

Comments (11)

• akc_65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

linelle- thanks for posting (especially love the cat in the tub!). And glad to see it with the white subway tiles as that's what we're doing too.Funny you mention the non slip bottom i(I don't like the look of the strips) but sounds like those non slip bottoms have a purpose.
    Do you find the acrylic gets more of a soap scum? Is it easy to clean?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

akc, I know what you mean about not liking the look of the strips. I've had some ugly ones. These are matte finish and almost clear, like a bandaid, and you barely notice them. I took some time to lay them out beforehand and was glad I got two packs because I didn't want to miss any slippery spots.

I use only clear liquid shower soap. After 7 months, there is zero soap scum anywhere. I clean the tub periodically with Soft Scrub, recommended for acrylic tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: non-slip strips

• cocoacontessa
    8 years ago

Hi Linelle! Thank you so much for your posts. I am remodeling my bathroom and purchased the Duravit Architec for a tub that will also be used as shower like yours. I was just about to send it back because when I stood in it after it was delivered, it seemed super slippery. Your tip on the non slip strips is a great solution. When I stood in the tub it felt very narrow at the base-does it feel cramped when you shower? This will be used as a shower 95% and a soaking tub 5%, so it's important that it feel good and comfortable when showering. How tall was your previous tub (ours was 8-9) and how difficult is it entering and exiting this one (almost 20'). I didn't realize how tall it was before ordering. Also, how has the tub held up-any feedback on how it's worn over the past 10-11 months? And lastly, did your installers have to do anything special during the installation (foam, insulation, mortar??). Thanks so much!!!

• PRO
    bathroomsforme
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We love Duravit due to quality. They just seem to always look new.

• shelbyroo
    8 years ago

I have a Duravit Architec. It's narrow but we fit in the bath (we're not small people) and it is not slippery at all. I was worried that acrylic would feel flimsy but my contractor assured me that it would feel very solid and it really does (but I can't tell you what he did to make it feel that way!) I am pretty happy with our choice and I love the flat front/modern feel to it.

• cocoacontessa
    8 years ago

Thank you Linelle, Shelbyroo and Bathroomsforme for the feedback.

• Jean Lin
    3 years ago

I know it's an old post, but hoping we might get an answer. Our plumber just installed the Duravit tub for us with the kind of cable drain that is operating by pressing the button. I just noticed that the drain stayed close when I press the button. Am I doing something wrong here?

• cocoacontessa
    3 years ago

Hi Jean. I think ours has a pop up drain, where you press it to pop up and push down to close. Sorry to not be more helpful. One thing I recommend is installing non slip strips on the floor of the tub, as it’s very slippery!

• ecdunton2
    2 years ago

I am about to order the Duravit Architec to replace a Kohler Archer that cracked. Would welcome any info on how others who bought the Duravit had the install done. With mortar? I want to do whatever I can (in addition to switching brands) to avoid another mess with water in my LR due to a tub crack! Thx so much for what you can share...

• HU-400763428
    2 years ago

Did your installer use a mortar bed with Duravit Architec tub...I know it comes with leveling feet. Plumber says mortar will support entire tub and eliminate cracks due to no direct support under the