Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have CLEAN shower grout? If so...

Posted by kswartwout (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 15:30

My question is, IF you have clean shower grout (no discolorations, mildew, or build up), how often do you clean it and what is the routine? I basically want to do it only as often as necessary, but want to really make sure I never let it go too long to have any difficult to fix issues. I have a few bathrooms that will have new white subway tile with light gray grout, and a master shower that will have white marble with light gray grout. I'm especially worried about the marble since harsh cleaning agents are not allowed.

I'd love to know how old your grout is, what color, sanded or unsanded grout, what cleaning products you use, whether you wipe it dry after each shower, and how intensive your scrubbing is when you actually scrub.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have CLEAN shower grout? If so...

I have OLD grout, bathroom tiled with white grout in 1987. We did regrout the tub area about 5 yrs ago, so its not too bad. But our floor is the original 1987 grout, and it was quite dingy and grayed..We had been lax about sealing it every year as recommended. Just last week, I made a solution of an oxyclean type cleaner and water, sponged it on the grout and let it sit a good 15 minutes,then scrubbed it well, rinsed with clean water l and it did come very clean, I was pleasantly surprised how well that worked. Of course, on wall grout, the oxyclean is going to drip downward, this might require repeated applications. However, in a recent trip to the tile store to pick out our kitchen backsplash, they told us you can get grout now that that has a stain resistant product mixed in with the grout. If you are going to use white grout, or any light color, I would definitely check into that. We are using it for our backsplash, time will tell if it really works. Supposedly, this stain resistant grout doesn't need to be sealed.

o

In our newer bath (2 or 3 years??? I lost track) I have only one tiny spot of discoloration. It is at the bottom where the tile meets the pan.

Each time I shower I rinse the walls, then quickly and easily squeegee the walls and door. DH does not do this. I do not wipe. The room also has two fans and is never steamed up.

To clean the bathroom, each week I spray the tile walls with lyson bathroom cleaner or something like that. I take a microfiber cloth and put it on my swiffer. I wash the walls with it. I never actually scrub the grout. I then rinse the walls (hand held). Thats it.

I really think that having a good exhaust fan and my rinse/squeegee method keeps the shower and whole bathroom very dry which lessens the chance of mildew.

photo house6-10Photos010.jpg

o

Check out epoxy grout

o

Both hubby and I squeegee after shower, wall and floor. Takes only another 30 - 45 seconds. I do not wipe down. I didn't have to clean shower until 2 years later. I could've gone for another year but there were some darker spots near the floor and that's it. It looks as good as new. We have large tile on walls though. It's 18*18 travertine.

o

I use a soft rubber car type squeegee, i do the walls first, then the door and the sill. After I dry off, I wipe my glass doors with my tile. I rarely have to clean my shower, if I do it may just be the corners and I spray a bathroom cleaner and I'm done. Daily maintenance is really easy and it save having to use heavy elbow grease weekly or so.
Once you get in the habit, it easy to do.

o

Since I posted this, I started doing a rinsing of the walls and glass prior to turning off the shower water, then wiping down with a towel. It actually is really fast, and I'm not minding it too much. Hoping that with a light cleaning every week or so, I will keep all issues at bay. Keep the answers coming, I'm always interested in any stories or tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here