Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Onyx tile shower: where to use caulk vs. grout?

kaysd
13 years ago

Next Tuesday, our contractor is installing our new tub/shower. It is a white Kohler Expanse tub in a 3-sided alcove. The wall tiles are 12x12 Lady Onyx, with a 6" tall border of 2x2 Lady Onyx mosaic part way up the wall. Per the recommendation of the tile store, we purchased unsanded white grout and white thinset. We plan on very tiny joints. Are spacers used for very thin grout lines?

I know we should use caulk instead of grout for the horizontal seams where the tiles meet the tub. In our last house, we used clear silicone caulk for this purpose, but Bill Vincent recommended siliconized latex caulk in another thread. Are there particular brands that perform well? I would prefer something mildew resistant. Should we use clear or white caulk? Do we fill the tub with water before caulking? (I remember reading that on here.)

Also, I remember a thread mentioning using caulk instead of grout in the "corners," but I am not sure if that means just the bottom corners, or the whole vertical seams where the back and side walls of tile meet.

Comments (3)