Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdechris

12 X 9 master bath with HUGE tub (pics)

jdechris
15 years ago

My 5 year old master bathroom needs updating. The problems we face are: small 48" vanity, small shower unit (46 X 33) with outdated doors, and a huge corner tub (71" corner to edge). I am hoping to spend minimal funds with a DIY and we are not plumbers.

I definately want to to:

buy a bigger vanity ideally 72"

replace shower unit with tile & glass doors

keep the toilet & bidet

rip up the linoleum floor & replace with tile

I'm not sure what to do about the large tub. Should I keep it and retile around it? Should I replace with a smaller corner tub? I was also considering putting in a pedastal tub ($1200 at costco) on an angle but not sure if this would look weird. Some people walk in the room and think the tub is great. I walk in the room and think its way too big for the space.

Please give me your opinions. We plan to stay in this house about 8 more years. I'd love to gain a bigger shower and small tub but not sure our budget allows this so we are trying to get the most bang for the buck.

Comments (6)

• ladycfp
    15 years ago

I had a tub in a huge deck before and replacing it with a clawfoot tub added all kinds of space to make the shower larger, or in your case, the vanity. You could even add a pony wall to give the toilet a little privacy and use the side facing the tub as towel storage. That's all I have, but I know you will get tons better ideas than this.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I don't know. I just hope you close the shutters when moving from the toilet to the bidet!

I think you've nailed it with your list. I wouldn't spend the money on changing the tub since you don't plan on being there forever.

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

I am no designer or decorator but my opinion is I really like it and I'm seeing one of those tv redos on a budget.

Paint the entire room a warm color based on colors in Master Bedroom!

Vanity Area

Paint the Vanity a dark color based on the colors in your master bedroom.

Replace the counter top with a solid counter top with 1 vessel sink but allow the counter to extend towards the tub with island legs and a stool under it for a makeup/hair fixing area.

I never use the sink on my side of the double vanity. Don't plan to have one in my future bathroom.

Remove the med cabinet and put two mirrors with pretty lights (can't see the top of med cabinet).

Tub Area

The paint would "warm" it up but add some decorative candles for color.

I would add a couple of mirrors and greenery on those two walls. Possibly small shelves on 1 wall a large mirror on other wall or a corner shelf just above the tile work to hold a basket with bath goodies and possibly some greenery.

Floor
    If limited on budget, use the high end sticky tiles for an easy to diy project that looks great (my son's bathroom turned out wonderful).

Commode Area
    Remove the cabinet and replace with either a nice mirror or one of the metal wall fixtures that are so popular.

Shower Area
    I saw one of the diy shows use extra fine sandpaper to clean the shower doors and it made them look like brand new or simply replace the doors.

I wish I had your master bathroom. Mine is a standard 5' x 8' and dh has recently agreed to extend it by using the rear of the garage but funds for that is not going to happen quickly.

Good luck!
    Alicia

• cindywhitall
    15 years ago

Is your bathroom about 13 years old? It looks a lot like mine as far as fixture types. I couldn't face the expense of re-tiling around my tub (similar, but rectangle stuck in the middle of my longest wall) so we ripped out the flooring (half carpet-half white tile -yuk) and put down ceramic 12 x 12. We did the tiling ourselves (first time tiling!) and used tile from the closeout section. I wish I had spent more and picked a nicer tile, but I was happy hubby agreed to a project he didn't think we needed, so I was trying to keep it cheap. My tile is beige and white mottled so it matches well with the white tiles and my dark cherry vanity. I was afraid of too much of a difference that would make the tub tiles look too out of place.

You need to do 4 things. 3 of which I did.

1. Tile the floor.
    2. Get a frameless shower door (if redoing the whole thing is over budget). Your shower will look newer and bigger. Look up Kohler Fluence or Sterling Finesse on their websites. They have a small frame on the outside edge and the bottom (yours might on the top, mine is just a single door)The actual sliding door are all glass. Buy it from Lowes or Depot at less than list price.
    3. Get a granite (or that type) counter with widespread faucet. It will really update it (Mine comes next week-the last of my three changes)
    4. New cabinet hardware.
    5. (just realized it's 5 things!) PAINT! Pick a nice color to blend with the counter. It needs a little perking up.

Bigger vanity is a nice idea. With 72" you could do 2 sinks, if you want to pay a plumber.

I'd have loved to tile my shower, but wasn't up for that investment and it didn't strike me as a novice tiler's job.

Have fun. Get that checkbook ready!

• jdechris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great suggestions!

Cindywhitall - my bathroom is only 5 years old but looks 13 years - previous owners & builder made bad choices (IMO)

We have not touched this area - thus the unpainted walls. I just didn't know what to do about that tub.

I really appreciate the feedback.

• cindywhitall
    15 years ago

Sorry, I didn't mean it looked worn out, just the materials, mainly the shower doors, which they do still sell and the vinyl flooring. You need to upgrade those.

Most people love my large tub when they see it and say they wish they had one. Nobody has ever said they would prefer a smaller tub. I think the tub is probably meant to be the "focal" point of the room, and consider what a smaller one would gain for you. If you think you would really prefer it, then do it. I think with some paint and some good wall decor items the tub would not be as overwhelming. I think you would gain more from investing in a quality (I'm partial to granite) countertop with good fixtures and door handles to match. That would also draw attention that right now goes to the tub. Have you looked at granite? Check out the gallery images and you will see how nice it looks! By not changing out the tub and shower you will save a lot of money and demolition (mess!). The counter is an easy installation. Good luck.

PS If you go granite, choose the granite before the paint and tile. I did it backwards and had to limit my granite choices, which was dumb because it was the most expensive part.