Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suger4630

Master Bath Remodel-Before and After

suger4630
10 years ago

The GW bathroom forum provided so much help and guidance to us when we were planning our master bath remodel, that I thought I would post some before and after pictures of our recently finished project with the hope that it might help others going through a similar remodeling journey. And a journey it is! We went from a somewhat functional 80s bathroom to a new, and we think, much more functional modern space. We didn't keep anything from our previous bath, except part of the layout. We kept the remodel within the existing floor space. The biggest plumbing change was to move the toilet from under the window to the inside wall. This was done by removing the giant whirlpool tub and replacing it with a small bubble tub and placing the toilet next to it. This has given us a lot more functional floor space. The other big change was taking out our steam shower which we never used, removing all the drywall that enclosed it, and bringing the shower out by 10 inches and bringing the width in by 6" to accommodate a 60' double vanity. The shower is now 42 x 42 which makes it plenty roomy. We decided not to include a bench inside the shower in order to maximize the floor space. We debated about using marble tile or porcelain and in the end decided to go with porcelain for ease of cleaning. Finding the perfect tile proved to be a daunting task, yet we are so pleased with the choice we made. A wonderfully talented remodeler did all of the work including the painting and finished the project in 3 weeks. Our vanity was custom made by a local cabinet maker. We chose cherry with a natural finish. The light fixtures and mirrors are from Lowes. The toilet paper holder and towel bar are Delta Dryden and match the faucets and shower head. Paint was Ivoire by SW. Taking pictures and posting them has proven to be a bit of a challenge, but hopefully you get the idea!

Before: Steam shower and 54" single bowl vanity.

By bringing the shower in by 6" and bringing it out by 10" we were able to accommodate a 60" double vanity and still have a roomy 42 x 42 shower.

Porcelain 12 x 24 tile Mannington Carmel.

Porcelain on the shower floor.

Before: Toilet under the window next to a large whirlpool tub. The tub was seldom used and the toilet was obviously not in a desirable location.

We chose a Kohler Devonshire Bubblemassage 60" x 32". A perfect size for the space and a perfect size tub for a relaxing bath.

Kohler Wellworth Highline Toilet

Granite countertops in "Hawaii" with Kohler Ladena undermount sink and Delta Dryden Faucet.

Comments (13)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful with a touch of practical!

• raehelen
    10 years ago

3 weeks, I'm so jealous! Really updated, I bet you're enjoying having more light in the shower! Just a quick nosy question, why did you put the toilet paper holder behind the toilet instead of on the side wall?

It looks so much more spacious, such a good use of the space!

• suger4630
    Original Author
    10 years ago

raehelen, we did think about putting the toilet paper holder on the side wall but the towel bar (doesn't show in the picture) is on that wall and the two things looked awkward together. I have naturally gone to that side to get the TP though! We do love the added light in the shower. We thought it might be drafty but it isn't at all.

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

Good job! Question: It looks like you have a shower head with a detachable hand-held. What is the brand/style name of it?

• suger4630
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jewel654, it's a Delta 58470 Chrome In2ition Two-in-One shower head with hose Square.

This post was edited by pixe1 on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 21:43

• Olychick
    10 years ago

What a wonderful space you've created. I think the changes you made are perfect to make it more attractive and practical, too. Looks like a lovely spot to relax in the bathtub and be able to gaze out the windows. Very nice!

This post was edited by olychick on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 13:26

• annkathryn
    10 years ago

Very pretty bathroom, love the cherry cabinet and granite counter. I used Ivoire in my previous house - such a nice color. Thanks for sharing!

• kyshine3
    10 years ago

Wow!! What a wonderful bathroom loving the vanity you guys did a great job!! Wondering do you have a heating mat or anything under your tile?
    Great Job and thanks for posting
    Deb

• Gooster
    10 years ago

congratulations! everything turned out so well. And more than a touch of practical.

I missed your original thread, but what was the original builder of that bath thinking with that toilet / window placement!

• suger4630
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kyshine3, we did consider a heated floor under the tile but decided against it for cost and labor reasons. We use rugs by the vanity and toilet/tub area and use a bathmat by the shower so we rarely step on the tile in bare feet. It would have been nice though! Thanks for the compliments.
    gooster, the toilet by the window was a topic of much conversation at our house! Glad to be rid of that set up!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Wow, what a gorgeous result! And your layout changes look like they made a huge difference in functionality.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful end result! I know you are enjoying it. We just finished our MB reno just before Christmas. I too can't believe a builder would put a toilet in front of a window like that. Almost like they forgot to put one in and then said, 'oops, let's put it here'.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

much better layout and beautiful choices. Congratulations!