Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbrazmania

Riobel faucets/shower heads

jbrazmania
11 years ago

We're starting a MB reno and we just saw some Riobel faucets and shower fixtures that we liked. The prices seem very reasonable. I've never heard of this Canadian company before. Has anyone purchased and installed these? Any comments or recommendations? Should we stay clear of them or do they have a good reputation? I couldn't find anything in the forums about them or on the web. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• anrol
    11 years ago

Hi. We have Riobel faucets and shower fixtures in one of our bathrooms. No complaints. They were bought at a reputable kitchen and bath place locally here in Canada. They are made in Quebec. They are good quality as far as I know.

• jbrazmania
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your follow-up post, door1. We would be buying it from a plumbing supply company in Massachusetts. They had nothing but positive things to say about Riobel, but I had never heard of them. Their prices seem very reasonable, too!

• Sun43
    10 years ago

We're building a five-bathroom home, and quite a few plumbing fixtures on our final list are Riobel - including a floor-mount master bathtub filler, rainshower and handshower heads, sink faucets....- to name a few.
    They felt solid in my hands, although what do i know... and they are at a great price point too. As i had never heard of the brand before i did some google on it, and found that PLUMBERS REALLY HATE RIOBEL!!!

many of the plumbers also comment on how they had to talk to the tile setter specifically before installing any Riobel trims....

the showroom sales ALL rave about it, ("oh it's a good brand! they do wholesale / high end spec houses that's why you've never heard about them the way you heard about Toto and Kohler") - same thing i found on plumber forums... i wonder how much of a kickback Riobel must offer to showroom sales worldwide, that EVERYONE seems effectively bribed to sing their praises? Are the said praises fabricated, or well deserved??

would REALLY appreciate any first-hand feedback on Riobel products, esp things that are hard or expensive to replace (behind the wall etc), before we bite the bullet.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

We have Riobel fixtures for our new shower. Was the only way I could justify going with Brushed Nickel as every other line was so much more expensive in the BN finish. We haven't installed them yet, DH is 'the plumber'. Our experience was similar to others, bought from a very reputable plumbing supply place who thought Riobel was excellent, and they have had no complaints! I was talked out of a more expensive line as they said the fittings were more cheaply made... will post again in a year or so with a follow-up (hopefully positive! :>)

• lewk416
    8 years ago

Old thread however worth commenting. We used Riobel throughout our new home as we were advised it was a higher end product. After 7 months the kitchen faucet head came apart. Cheap plastic interior. Wonder it lasted as long as it did. It is the pull down spray model where one turns the head to change from spray to regular flow.

Will see what happens in terms of warranty.

• anrol
    8 years ago

Still have my Riobel. No problems so far. My nephew is installing Riobel in his new bathroom reno. My DH installed ours and is installing my nephew's fixtures, as well. Bought them all from a reputable kitchen and bathroom place.

• silken1
    8 years ago

Thanks for the opinions and for the follow up from anrol. Our contractor has just included Riobel products in his quote for a new bathroom job. I had never heard of the name before. Is there any more feedback from people who have used their products??

• silken1
    8 years ago

casadeisol, I mentioned your problem with the set screw to DH and our builder. They said to just use some lock set on the screw and it will stay put.

• sherryrocchi
    7 years ago

We have Riobel faucets in 3 of our bathrooms and they are TERRIBLE. They began to leak after 1 year. The plumber can't loosen the screw without breaking it and so we need a replacement. Riobel refused to give us any discounts on replacement parts. The water is also very cloudy. This is a mystery because the water is clear in our other bathrooms with faucets from different companies!?!! Has anyone ever had problems like that?? I would not recommend buying with this company - terrible customer service and a low quality product!

• msommer12
    5 years ago
    I know this is an old thread, but those of you that commented that they were putting in riobel, how are they working out? Thanks!
  • Susan Burton
    5 years ago

My advice....stay away from Riobel! I have them installed in my guest bathroom. Unfortunately I cannot swap them out to another brand without ripping into the wall. I felt I paid a premium for the product, talked into them from showroom sales person. They looked stylish but not easy to use. Have had to replace parts several times. The handle on the shower control constantly comes loose, the dials do not make sense to guests and I am stuck with them. To replace this shower handle with something from Riobel that is easier (but not easy!) to use cost me over $300. There are many better brands out there that use universal fittings. Go for them.

• msommer12
    5 years ago
    Thanks for writing back! My fear was that if there was an issue I would be stuck with that brand. I ended up choosing brizo. Good luck!
  • royea_jennifer
    3 years ago

Just also wanted to add onto this thread - not me but my sister put in Riobel in her guest bathroom and for two months had the Riobel rep there trying to fix things. Parts didn't match, the diverter leaked and the rough in for the shower was somehow wrong. I was still contemplating putting Riobel into one of my bathrooms n my new home because of the price point and design but after reading so many bad reviews I think it may be worth paying a little more.

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Starcraft Custom Builders has a site that constantly amazes me for the detail and updating that they do. I have no idea who they are or why they provide this to us, but always refer to their site for faucet information. If you want to know about a faucet, check their site. Here is their Riobel review:

http://www.starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.Riobel.htm

• HU-813233651
    2 years ago

No Customer service for an overpriced, poorly made faucet,if you speak french it might help,rude and non responsive service

• merfster
    2 years ago

I used Riobel Products for some bathroom renovations done about 15 years ago, and have been very happy with their performance. I am currently renovating those bathrooms again to update them, and I chose Riobel again for one of the baths. I have to say though that I am concerned by what appears to me to be a change in quality of the products. I will have to wait and see how they hold up. I have to say though that I am feeling a little uncertain about replacing the old product with what appears to be a product of lesser quality (lighter in weight, and a difference in finish quality) solely for the purpose of acheiving a fresher design look. The old product functioned without fail for fifteen years. The finish and the function held up beautifully. I am noticing that the company was sold in or about 2015. I am hoping that the quality has not deteriorated, and that I am getting the same quality product that I purchased when I first discovered the company. I will have to wait and see.