Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llcp93

Porcelain peeling tub

llcp93
9 years ago

Our cosmetic remodel that began Dec 1 just never seems to end. We have been using this tub for two weeks. It is a brand new, porcelain steel coated tub.
Last night, our son fell asleep in the bath. When he woke up, got out and dried off, white stuff came off all over the towel. He looked in the mirror and saw pieces on his back. He examined the tub, and noticed the "coating" peeling off like semi-wet paint in three separate spots.
I called the plumber who purchased the tub for us and installed it. He has called the distributor rep and I am waiting to hear back on the next steps.
He says they may suggest a refinish, but he's going to recommend a replacement, which will mean, tearing out several rows of travertine tile to get the tub out.
The former tub we replaced was 16 years old and also a porcelain over steel. Never had a problem.
Anyone else ever have this happen?
I am just sick. And tired of this on going remodel. Our master shower glass panel and door was measured Dec. 11. It was just installed last Thursday. We were told 7-10 days from measure. GC called that week for install and the glass co says Starfire glass takes longer. With Christmas and New Years, they finally came Jan 3. They mis-measured (the owner) and so it would not fit. So we had to wait again. We could not use this hall bath because the tub did not come with a drain cover and the tub spout that worked the shower head was broken inside the box so we had to wait for a new order from Delta (thus the bath has only been in use two weeks).

{{gwi:2132949}}

{{gwi:2132950}}

Comments (25)

• lam702
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh wow, sorry to hear about the tub peeling. I've never heard of that, I thought the coating was porcelain, and as such, shouldn't peel. Chip maybe, but not peel. Get them to replace the tub if you can, I fear that just applying a coating will not hold up over time. Even reglazing a tub doesn't last forever, the factory finish is probably the most durable.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

That's a shame. I agree with hyny2 that it's better to replace the tub, since I wouldn't trust just redoing the surface. What a hassle!!

BTW, what's the make/model of your tub?

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

That's what an old tub would look like after a bad refinish job.

Another vote for a "new" tub..

• sloyder
    9 years ago

that looks like a refinished tub, or a second.

• llcp93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to insist on a new tub. Hopefully, I will get it. This is just ridiculous. It does look like a tub with a bad refinish job. It is supposed to be new.
    Off hand, I don't know the make and number of the tub. It is a builder grade porcelain over steel (supposed to be, anyway) that was just like the one we replaced.
    The plumber who bought it, is also a personal friend, who owns the company. I know he wouldn't on purpose get me a crappy tub. He told the plumbing supply house what to put with my order but he didn't see them put it on the truck or deliver it. Other workers actually installed it.
    Being a hall bath, and the one son still at home will be in college in 6 months, so we didn't go with a more expensive tub for back there. I just refinished the cabinet, kept the existing 20x20 porcelain travertine look-a-like floor tile, and replaced their tub tile (from builder grade white 4x4) white CM counter top with a Giallo Santo remnant, and toilet. so I could do more in the Master bath.
    I didn't think porcelain would peel, but would chip. Another bath we have has the original steel tub and it has a chip from bathing a big dog in it. This is definitely peeling. It is literally like semi dry paint.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I'd get a cast iron tub. That is a shame what has happened to your new installation. So sorry.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

It makes no sense that the porcelain should come off in pieces like that.. Isn't a porcelain tub fired at a high temperature so the porcelain surface can become vitrified? Is it possible that this tub never got fired and the porcelain slurry is sitting on the surface? Very weird.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 10:27

• llcp93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plumber called this morning, after talking with the company rep. The company wants a chance to refinish the tub, and was I happy with this option (he knew I wouldn't be but he had to offer it to me).
    So I said, no, that was not an option that would make me happy and explained why, as some have stated above. I purchased a baked on porcelain tub, not a refinished tub. Porcelain chips, not peels. This is a paint that is peeling.
    Plumber says very good. I will call company back and we will set up an inspection for him to come out and see it personally.
    I realize the company wants to get out of this scrape as cheaply as possible but that is not my problem. I want what a paid for, which was a new tub, not a newly refinished tub.
    Stay tuned......
    Don't even get me started on the car repair shop that ordered different after market parts than the item numbers I gave them and now want to charge me to order the right parts and even more to put them on. Really?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Unbelievable, on the auto too.

I'd get a cast iron instead. From a different company.

• hemera
    9 years ago

Wow. You're all worried about a peeling tub? I'm worried about the son that fell asleep in a tub full of water.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Someone was trying to cut corners...either the plumber that knew he was getting some cheap refinished tub or the person that sold him that tub as new...OR BOTH of them were in on the rip off! Either way, it's come back to bite them. Putting in a whole new tub is going to be a major undertaking!

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

That is NOT a new tub. And you should never remodel with ''friends and family''. You've just discovered why.

• llcp93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hemera, Yes, I am concerned about a peeling tub. Why shouldn't I be? I paid money for a service and have every right to be concerned. .

Addressing the issue of the 17 1/2 year old, 6' 2" 200 lb, national merit scholar, All State marching band drummer on Tenors (quads) and UIL level 6 6A All Stater son falling asleep soaking in a 5 foot tub with some Epsom salt, baking soda and lavender oil after drumming for 6 hours, carrying 60 lbs of drums on a harness, and practicing for upcoming regional finals, was not the place on the Garden Web Bathroom forum. So I didn't address it in my original post. But thanks for your concern.

Look folks, I do not doubt the plumber's integrity or ethics. No one was out to pull a scam. A definite mistake happened and now it is in the process of being rectified. It will be costly for someone but no one has tried to get out of it to make it right or make an excuse. Thus far, everyone wants to find out where the fault lies and is willing to rectify it if it lays on their shoulders. We just have to determine the shoulders.

What we know so far as of today:
    We moved out of our house to 3 miles down the road due to all the construction that was going to take place.
    Plumbers ordered a Proflo S2 Series steel tub from Ferguson's was ordered. It was picked up and installed on December 5th.

Plumbing fixtures were installed Dec 19. The Delta Trinsic tub spout leaked upon installation and testing, so a new one was ordered Dec. 22, The tub had come in chrome and my fixtures were ORB so ORB overflow and drain w/cover were ordered.

We moved back in Jan. 4th. The tub spout, ORB overflow and drain w/cover was installed the week of Jan 12. We did not use this tub those 8 days in between. The boys only began using the tub to shower on the 12th.

Our 17 yr old son was still using our Victoria and Albert claw foot tub in the master bath, in which to soak. His elder brother was still home from college until Jan 19, and they had showered in this tub but not bathed (always an argument between them when younger bro took up so much bathroom time). This was the first time soaking in this tub.

Investigation is now underway to find out if what was picked up from Ferguson's dock was the tub that was ordered for me or a mix up with some other tub that was on the dock for whatever reason.

Preliminary findings show, now that this material has peeled off, is that this was a damaged tub somewhere down the road and someone tried to repair it. How a damaged tub with a cheap fix ended up on my plumbers truck and in my house is yet to be determined. I am 100% sure that my plumber did not knowingly put a damaged and cheaply repaired tub in my house. Before the peeling, it looked absolutely flawless. The stickler of a tile guy didn't even notice it either. The paint job was good on it.

My plumber has no qualms about doing the right thing and fixing this issue, if he/his company is the one at fault. He's just not willing, and rightfully so, to jump in and fix it until all avenues are searched to find where the fault lies: ProFlo, Ferguson's or them.

I have no reservations about hiring friends or family who own companies and run businesses whose integrity, ethics, knowledge of the industry and practices, and character are above reproach. Would I hire everyone/anyone I know that runs/owns a company? No, I would not. I also did not run out an hire friends or family who are employees of businesses in the trade to do work for me as a side job. I got the necessary permits from my township, and hired licensed, insured, professional companies whom I knew the owners personally and trusted.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Isn't there any way to identify what brand this tub is? That should be easy enough. Is it a ProFlo after all or is it a different brand of tub? It seems to me that one should start there to figure out if it is at least the brand and model of the tub your ordered.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I just had to say, I sleep in the tub all the time. I had no idea anyone would think there could be something wrong with that.

I'm so sorry about your tub problem, zookeeper. Such a shame to have to pull it out after finally getting everything finished.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

Plumber should get you a new tub regardless, and work the reimbursement out with the supplier when the time comes.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Ferguson's?

Omg.

Something is wrong with this picture.

• llcp93
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What is wrong the the picture, Snookems? That sounds ominous.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

That a repaired/refurbished tub could be received through Ferguson's. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe it was some flukey mfr defect. What is the brand?

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Maybe it was returned as defective after it was damaged on a previous job, a repair was attempted, and the customer was not happy with the repair. When returned, it was mistakenly returned to stock ... ? I guess anything is possible, but I would be inclined to think "mistake" rather than "deception."

• lafdr
    9 years ago

I am sorry for your stress. This can and will be fixed. It might be as simple as a tub refinish, or as complicated as pulling out the tub and putting in a new one and fixing and tile/floor damaged in the process.This should not be at your expense. This is completely unacceptable.

Not that it helps, but I would be freaking out too! Take lots of pictures.

lafdr

• roof35
    9 years ago

It's understandable you want believe the plumber has integrity, since this is your personal friend. However, consider this business transaction for what it is, a business transaction. Forget the personal part of the transaction. Where would you place the blame if friendship wasn't involved?

According to you, you paid the plumber for the tub and installation, not just for installation. It's no secret contractors must mark up material for which they supply. He should jump through hoops to make it right for you as the customer, regardless of who he has a beef with to get reimbursed. Or, how much of a headache he has to go through.

The responsibility is solely his and his companies to make it right for you. You should not even be involved of where the fault lies, he supplied the tub, you paid him not the manufacturer or supply house. This is one of many benefits when you pay for the contractor to supply materials. As much as it pains you to believe he is not responsible, he is. His company signed off on the received item, it is their responsibility to check the item. It is not the tile installers responsibility to check the quality of the item you paid the plumber for,

Like hollysprings commented, you should never have family and friends work for you.

This post was edited by Roof35 on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 21:01

• Judith Humphrys
    8 years ago

I too have discovered that our tub for our extensive bathroom rebuild is peeling just as yours is. What a nightmare. Ironically, my husband and I had the same bathroom remodeled 23 years ago - shortly after moving to this property - by an acquaintance. We will NEVER make that mistake again.

This time around, we have had everything re-done: floors, tile, ceiling, walls, doors, all new fixtures, soffit over the tub yanked out and the ceiling opened up making the room look larger, etc. Of course the bathtub was the first thing to go in after the new concrete wallboard and flooring. Everything else was built around it, including an expensive marble floor and tile in the tub area that was on order for at least 8 weeks after the item we originally picked out was deemed "unavailable"...

Back to the tub. Once the bathroom project was far enough along that we could clean the tub and bathe in it, I cleaned it with an organic cleaner and an old washcloth - in other words - I used no abrasives whatsoever. And to my amazement, a lot of white peeling stuff the size of grains of rice came off onto the beige washcloth. I kept polishing and off peeled a piece of white paint (I guess) that was about 1.5 inches by 2.5 inches. Then a second piece came off the same size. I kept the strips and the washcloth with small grains of paint as proof of what I observed. The builder came out and said he didn't want to replace the tub because of all the work involved in removing it, etc. My husband and I were both at home for this visit. The builder looked at it and "assured" us that he would call a bathtub refinisher who would do a really good job refinishing the tub. The builder called the guy to come out to refinish it before my husband and I could really digest what was happening and come to a firm conclusion. I wanted a new tub, my husband could see the "wisdom" of refinishing it - after all, even if we have to refinish it again a few years from now, it would be less headache than ripping out a finished project to begin again.

Besides the builder assured us that the refinisher was good - after all, the only thing the guy does is refinish bathtubs... My cynical opinion of that was: yeah well, how many times does one customer do repeat business with a bathtub refinisher?

Fast forward one additional week while we were out of town. The tub refinishing effort had cured and I set to work cleaning the tub once again with the same mild organic cleaner and a fresh washcloth. You guessed it - the opposite side of the tub peeled off just the same as the first time. It appears that the refinisher only re-did the side of the tub that seemed to present the problem, cutting corners. I kept a sample of the peeled crud and washcloth for reference. Now my husband and I are going to insist that the builder replace the tub with a different model from a different manufacturer.

This too has been a project without conclusion. The demolition began 11 August 2015. Today is 17 September 15. We only have one full bathroom and no one in my family has bathed here at home for over a month. I am tired of hotels and imposing on my in-laws.

I don't think I can survive another remodeling project. This builder came with amazing recommendations, is highly regarded in our town, and did 2 expert jobs (one was an entire kitchen remodel) for some friends of ours (who were not friends or family of the builder). It just goes to show you that you can't really trust anyone.

I am really curious to know how your bathtub nightmare was resolved. I do not recall the tub manufacturer, but can find out. If your bathtub was done by the same manufacturer, we could bolster one another's case for resolution. I am hoping to not require an attorney for our crappy bathtub. It has been difficult to take photos because the porcelain makes a considerable glare for the camera. I will not relinquish the bathtub peeling evidence to the builder. I have a feeling that I need to keep it for future reference.

Stunned in SW Ohio

• llcp93
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sorry to hear about your tub issues.

I shoukd have updated my saga but life got busy.

I got a quote from the tile guy, to remove 4-5 rows of running bond 4x8 travertine tile and to relay it. Gave quite to plumber/owner of the company, our friend. His guys came out and took off the plumbing hardware and took out the tub, replaced with a new cast iron tub (did did not charge me more for this when he usually does because of the weight), and within a few days, at the plumbers expense, the tile was replaced, grouted and sealed. All has been well these last 8 months.

I never caught up with him about if he ever settled up with the tub Company, Proflo. It did come from Ferguson's and at one time, the thought was that a damaged tub had been put on the dock and when they came to get the tub, (it was just a builder grade they kept in stock), the guys thought it was the one pulled for them and put the wrong one on the truck. Like I said, between the plumber, Ferguson's and Proflo, they were trying to figure it out without me in the middle. My plumber paid for the replacement of everything.