Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

size for over-tub chandelier

bbstx
10 years ago

The alcove for my tub is about 5'x7'. The total size of the bathroom is 10x16. There will be 2 can lights in the ceiling in the main part of the room and 2 sets of 4-light vanity lights, so amount of light is not an issue.

What size should the light over the tub be? I don't want it to look skimpy. I like chandeliers to be slightly over-sized, but not ridiculously so.

I know the general formula for a room is length + width treated as inches (ex, 12x15 room would need a chandelier that is appx 27" in diameter). Should I use that formula for my bathroom, even though the chandelier will be off-set to one side in an alcove?

Comments (22)

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

I'm terrible at figuring scale for things like this, so hopefully someone else wil come along that can help you. I'm posting to share related info when it comes to hanging a chandelier over a tub:

When bidding out the remodel of our master bath, we interviewed 3 different contractors. Three times we heard that codes don't allow hanging light fixtures above a tub unless there is 6' of clearance between the top rim of the tub and the lowest section of the fixture. Then, the fixture has to be "damp conditions" rated. So, that eliminated our ability to do anything except a fixed (rather than swinging) fixture above our tub. FYI!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jewel. Due to tall ceilings, we have the required distance and are not required to have the "damp conditions" rating.

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

That's great! Jealous! :)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

I have never seen that formula before. But I just googled and voila. I don't have an answer for you but I recently bought 2 ceiling lights of different sizes. The one that i thought would be just right is, in fact, too small. And the one that I though would be overkill for the closet is exactly right and works beautifully. If you're in doubt I vote go a little bigger than you think is necessary and will still keep it out of reach while someone is in the tub.

All the ones I have seen on houzz.com that really make a statement seem to be at least 18" and often more. Go for it!

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

I thought it was actually 8 feet above the rim of the tub according to code. All my research came back as that. Just wanted to mention it in case I'm right and someone has the impression its 6 feet. Or someone can correct me and tell my how its 6 O.o

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

Maybe it changes by state?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Building codes are location specific. My town has adopted the ICC Building Code but then made amendments. Another town an hour away has also adopted the ICC Building Code but made totally different amendments. So, on the surface it appears to be a uniform code, but it isn't.

My builder builds in both places and has to remember where he is and what the differences are. Yesterday we got to talking about a light fixture in a closet. Something as small and mundane as that is treated differently by each locality.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't think they are allowed in our area....but I could be wrong...

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

Ok, I was under the impression everyone was bound by the NEC..good to know!

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

While there are several versions of building code out there, they sort of all intertwine. And for sure, code doesn't apply in all locales. And some areas do have state and local amendments that pile on top of whatever code does apply in those areas.

IBC, NFPA, IRC, NEC. They all sort of come full circle. With regards to this discussion about lighting over a tub, here's the general text. It's worded similarly in all of the codes, but the reference paragraphs are different:

Bathtub and shower areas.
    Cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended-luminaires, lighting track, pendants, and ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall not have any parts located within a zone measured 3 feet (914 mm) horizontally and 8 feet (2438 mm) vertically from the top of a bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower. Luminaires within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 8 feet (2438 mm) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations and where subject to shower spray, shall be marked for wet locations.

The goal is that to keep pendant fixtures out of the reach of a bather that is in a tub or shower. If someone was in the tub or shower and slipped, they would not be able to instinctively reach out and grab a lighting fixture.

The "wet" and "damp" restrictions address corrosion issues, for fixture and conductor durability.

• brucewright
    8 years ago

checked with local code here and a flush mount or surface mount light is executable within 8 ft as long as its on a gfci

• gailw176
    7 years ago

Codes do dictate electrical over a bathtub but today I found on Etsy a wonderful remote candle chandlier ...perfect!!

• meghurtado
    3 years ago

I have a 51” tub so recommended 17 “ diameter chandelier.. but, the light I’m interested in is either 15.7 or 19.7 “... what should we go with? Slightly bigger or slightly smaller ? Thank you!

• PRO
    Robert Frank Interiors
    3 years ago

As long as you have the height, I’d opt for the larger fixture so it doesn’t feel undersized for the room.

• meghurtado
    3 years ago

• meghurtado
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

thank you. Space to the left is where tub will be with pendant.

• PRO
    Sea Glass Interior Design
    2 years ago

Definitely use the larger fixture. Totally agree with Robert Frank Interiors

• Verbo
    2 years ago

• PRO
    Sea Glass Interior Design
    2 years ago

Yes of course. Highly recommend a non-electrified fixture. ;)

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

Even setting aside the building code requirements (and I understand that your locale is different), I would not want to be lying in my tub soaking, and staring up at a large hanging electrical fixture above me. It would give me the willies. Maybe I have just seen it prohibited by Code too many times. There are so many other places in the home to hang a pretty chandelier. It would sincerely ruin my bath soak time - even with my requisite wine and chocolates - to have an electrical fixture hanging over me while in the tub. Are you sure you are OK with it

• Kathy ridout
    last year

Ha! Get over it

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler