Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Can I keep this tile and work around it?

numbersjunkie
11 years ago

Happy New Year to all my GardenWeb friends!

My project for this year is to update my hall bathroom. We have 2 kids - both in college. At a minimum, we need to tear down the wall paper, replace the tub/shower fixtures and the vanity top/sink/faucet. I also want to replace the vanity because the paint is chipped and it just seems very dated to me. My house tends towards contemporary - cedar siding, open floor plan, vaulted ceilings.

So here's my dilemma....I want to replace the vanity with something like one I saw on houzz - see link below. we have a 77 inch wide vanity now so it should work well in my space - and I think we can build it inexpensively. But I really don't want to replace the floor tile or the tile in the tub. Its solid white, but the style is dated. Can I keep the existing tile and make the more modern style vanity work?

Any suggestions for colors or finishes that would tie it all together? Here are pics

Here is a link that might be useful: [Vanity from houzz website[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/wondered-where-i-can-buy-the-bathroom-vanity-please-dsvw-vd~129571)

Comments (6)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think because it is solid white, it's fine. It doesn't have such a strong presence that it will conflict. I actually like the parquet effect and long thin tiles are rather popular right now, anyway.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I think the tile is totally fine. Definitely has a contemporary-modern vibe (retro-modern?). If the tile runs under the existing vanity, or if the floor space underneath it will be completely covered by the new vanity, you're pretty much good to go. If not, you'll just need to choose something to fill it in.

I have two thoughts. We used painted base-molding in all three of our bathrooms (satin finish, Aura paint), rather than tile bullnose/base-molding. I prefer the look personally, but also think using it in your bathroom might contribute more to the contemporary look that you are seeking.

My other thought is regarding grout. If yours is in good shape (can't tell in the pic), you can opt to leave it alone. If it isn't, you can decide if it's worth the effort to re-color or re-grout.

Share pics when it's done! :)

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the tile and grout are all in great shape. And I think pulling off the tile baseboard and replacing it with wood is a great idea - hopefully not too big of a job.

I doubt the tile runs under the vanity, but if you look closely at the Houzz picture, there appears to be a toe kick under there, so I think we can do the same.

Any suggestions for finishes for the drawers and counter that would look OK with the existing tile and the vanity style? Also looking for ideas on a suitable color scheme?

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Lots of options for drawer fronts/finish. Your tile is neutral, and bright. I think you can go with anything from light to dark, or something in-between, depending on your preference. Slab drawer fronts, as shown in your inspiration photo, will keep the vanity looking modern. There are so many gorgeous wood species being used by forum members (especially here and in the kitchen forum)--natural walnut is a current favorite of mine! Bubinga, a gorgeous wood, was used to great effect by Pharaoh in my all time fave blinged-out bathroom!!!

Of course, a stained black vanity, with the white tiles would be a nice look, too (we have a black-stained vanity in our contemporary look MB, with a white sinktop, and black floor tile).

Your bathroom colors can be anything, too! You can stick to shades of white, esp if you do a light colored vanity and top. Or a pop of color on the walls and for the accessories can be nice, too! Sorry--not much help! See what you gravitate towards when you look at bathroom pics online and in magazines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bling!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I think your tile is very timeless. Not trendy, but nice, classic white tile. Anything will work with it. I like the idea of using baseboard too.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you all think it will work with my existing tile. Don't think DH would let me spend the $$ to re-do all the tile. I just wish I could visualize it better in my own mind, with finishes that would work. Thinking of a corian top, something that will hide everything since it will be used by my kids when they are home from college. Still not sure about what to use for the vanity drawers.