Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkx_gw

Tile around window in shower... How to fix/finish the job?

Merkx
10 years ago

Bathroom is being redone by contractor and the window in the shower has me very concerned (see attached picture). The tile was installed on the wall with the window and now, they are trying to figure out how to finish it around the window.

I was told the tile would butt up against a 3/4 inch wide wood framing wrapped in PVC. I would have thought that would have been in place before the tile.

I'm worried about waterproofing as well as the look of the finished product. I do not want the window framing to stand out.

Do I have reason to be concerned? How would you recommend finishing this window?

Comments (21)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Caulk the open joint around the window with Schluter Kerdi Fix. Then tile a border around the window. Caulk the space between the tile lip and window with silicon caulk that matches your tile or grout - this is the same silicon caulk that you will use in the corners and along the acrylic showerpan or tub if you have one. You will have to go to a tile supply house or order online for Kerdi Fix.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 14:20

• Merkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna, thank you for your response!

I'm trying to figure out where the tile boarder would be placed. Here are some add'l, close up pictures. The existing tile does not end evenly around all sides of the window and the tile is raised.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I would have a solid surface fabricator custom build head/jamb molding, sill, and apron. The head/jamb molding would lay on the tile and return to the window and would be installed after the sill. Caulk it in place heavily.

This detail should have been figured out by the tile man before a single tile was laid.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

And I'll add, make sure the sill slightly tilts down to the shower wall for water to drain.

• Merkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Trebruchet. I've read your response several times and I think I understand. How much of an overlay on the tile do you think is needed? Just enough to cover the edge of the tile? I'm trying to avoid a large border.

I'm pretty upset about the window, a lot of planning and $$ has gone into this bath.

Would the contractor's initial idea have worked if it was in place prior to the tile (wood border wrapped in PVC. Tile butt up against border?)

Today, the contractor brought over a PVC edge/corner piece of molding to apply over the edge of the tile and to meet the window. It barely meets the edge of the window on the top right since the opening is uneven all around. Is that solution feasible?

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Do you know what material they used as a tile backer board?

I just hate any situation where caulk is used as the primary method to shed water.

• Merkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The board used above the window (which is above the shower head) is different and looks like green board. I'll find out today for sure.

From the top of the winow down, it is stamped Hardibacker.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"How much of an overlay on the tile do you think is needed?"

Merkx:

I would want a 1/2" minimum contact lipping over and siliconed to the tile.

The contractor's original idea may have worked, I just don't like it.

• Merkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trebruchet, I really appreciate your advice. The granite is being templated this weekend and I'm going to have them look at the window as well. Thank you.

• enduring
    10 years ago

THAT LOOKS GREAT! Did the tile guy have anything to warn against or comment on regarding water getting into the junction of the tile moulding and the window frame? How did he caulk the junction?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

That looks really good, sort of like a window niche! LOL Is that just regular pencil rail or is it L-shaped underneath?

What tile did you use? This might work for my Sister's reno.

• Merkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I too am pleased with the results. Here's another picture of the bathroom but unfortunalely, not the best quality picture.

The window frame is a 3/4 in pencil with a miter cut on the corners. The tile is Naxos Pietra Sacra. The color is Celio.

I'll have to ask the specifics of the waterproofing method he used. He discussed a few options but I don't know what he decided to do in the end.

This is a guest bathroom and the shower is rarely used....maybe 10 times per year.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• Elana Rock
    8 years ago

I have the same problem and this is a great solution! Question one: How is the trim attached to the exiting tile at the window?

Question two: And does anyone have an opinion whether I can use this same trim around the baseboard between floor and wall tile.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"Question one: How is the trim attached to the exiting tile at the window?"

You have to ask the person who attached it. I have had mixed results getting this information, even on commercial jobs.

"Question two: And does anyone have an opinion whether I can use this same trim around the baseboard between floor and wall tile."

If the detailing is appropriate, sure.

• missuswife
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm so glad I found this thread because I have a similar problem. We just bought our house a month ago.

There's a window in the shower, above the tub. The previous owners had sealed the window shut with silicon caulk. I knew the grout would need touching up but this morning I tried opening the window to see how secure it was, and it opened right up. It wasn't even locked let alone sealed. There also is no extractor fan in there (having one installed this month) so now I'm really anxious that the wall is full of water. We can't afford a reno right now. Can anyone recommend the best stop gap solution to limit damage while we save up for a reno?

• nicole___
    8 years ago

Merkx....A fabulous fix! Thanks for posting!

• PRO
    owen dawson photography
    7 years ago

Merkx - could you send me a few close up photos of finished framing around the bathroom window. I have a similar issue with how to finish my BR window. thanks owenpga@comcast.net

• Chris
    7 years ago

We are having our bathroom redone in about a week and around the recessed window we are having slabs of travertine used as a border, since our contractor said that there's no seems or grout lines that could develop leaks. He says that he does this all the time. I will post of picture in a couple weeks once the bathroom is completed!

• PRO
    owen dawson photography
    7 years ago

furring out the window unfortunately is not an option. bathroom is extremely small so any outward furring would run into toilet. as it is now , the durarock butts up to the frame evenly ,so it's smooth to the window cavity . the other issue i'm found today as i started to install durarock is the frame is 3/8 " off . trying to figure out how to get it vertical .

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living