Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

mirrored medicaine cabinet recommendations?

Fori
9 years ago

I'm looking for a recessed medicine cabinet to go over a 36" vanity--it'll be the only mirror in a small guest bath. I can't put the cabinet elsewhere because I went nuts with pocket doors on the other walls.

Any favorite cabinets? Or suggestions on how wide it should be? It looks like you can get up to about 24" wide before you need a double door which I don't want. Is 24" wide enough for a 36" vanity?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

If you restrict the cabinet to a single door you have physical problems when it gets too big. Mine have mirrored fronts and inside fronts, so the doors are heavy, and the heavy sheets of mirror glass are only stuck on to the outside metal door frame with double sided tape, which in it's turn sticks only as well as the grey paint covering the back of the mirror's glass. It's really good tape, but one bad day, one bad bump in an overheated bathroom and you could have lots of glass to sweep up. EDIT: Been there. Done that.

The other problem with single doors is they have to swing out into personal face-space to open, and if you have a 24 inch door on a wall 21 inches away, you're already in ducking range. Any bigger and there's a real risk of your eyeball or the top of your head contacting the edge or corner of a beveled piece of glass in a permanently unwholesome manner. Beveled frameless glass doors are seriously dangerous; some corners get pretty sharply chipped after a few years of use.

I like huge fully mirrored cabinets. They're wonderful. I have one 36 inch vanity with a 36 inch double door unit above it and a 21 inch one at the side at right angles to the first, opening away from the person. I'm (today) roughing out a wall for a 48 inch triple door cabinet over a 60 inch top, and each door is only 16 inches. There will be no side units because of the same pocket door problem you have. None of the mentioned doors reach out far.

It's critical that the blind people (and the clumsy ones like me) in our house do not have any serious problems with contacting glass edges accidentally. I have kids, grandkids trying to climb onto the vanity with the cabinet door open to reach toothpaste, eighty to ninety year old inlaws, blind visitors to the house who don't know the bathroom layout, and half-asleep -me- in the room at 3:00 a.m, so I see these things as a safety issue.

To finally answer your question: visually, the bigger the better.

This post was edited by grubby_me on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 14:33

• crl_
    9 years ago

Do you plan to put sconces on each side of the medicine cabinet? Do you care whether the sconces are mounted wider than the vanity below?

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bigger IS better...but...it's a small space.

I'm planning on putting a fixture above the mirror/cabinet--we just don't have that much space for sconces. The vanity is against the wall on one side.

I could just do a mirror and skip the medicine cabinet entirely if that would get me a better size, or recess a non-mirrored one over the toilet (right next to the vanity...)

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I would do the recessed cabinet over the toilet and just get a great mirror. A guest bath doesn't have the same need for a medicine cabinet. In fact, maybe you can skip the medicine cabinet altogether if you have storage space in the vanity, especially a shallow drawer or two.

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I might just do that...don't want guests to get too comfy anyway!

• crl_
    9 years ago

For a guest bath with drawer storage, I think skipping the medicine cabinet is just fine. We did it in our master bath actually, because we couldn't fit a recessed medicine cabinet into what is an exterior wall, and it's fine. The lighting from side sconces is nicer than from above the mirror though. . . .

• rooandcheese
    9 years ago

We went with the Kohler - not the cheapest and not the most expensive either. We haven't installed it yet, but have taken it out of the box and checked it out. It's nicely constructed and I like that it's mirrored inside as well as out. I included the link to the one we chose, but obviously you would want one of the smaller sizes it comes in. Personally, I prefer a med cabinet to a mirror because of the extra storage and the ability to swing the mirror around to get the best angle for doing makeup. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Med Cabinet

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

This one is 24 x 30 above a 32" vanity. I keep everything from bandaids to disposable razors for guests inside (even a digital clock). Believe ours was made by Broan.

{{gwi:2132916}}

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks great!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath