Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
64reno64

Plumbing supply store v. Big box

64reno64
9 years ago

So I see the benefits of buying faucets from plumbing supply instead of Lowes, (better quality), but is there a benefit to buying a tub and toilet there too? I will be buying kohler products, fwiw. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• ChrisInCT
    9 years ago

My understanding is that there is a difference. I a plumber once told me that the good toilets go to the plumbing stores. Then the ones that may not be perfect in terms of quality control, such as the glazing in a toilet, would go to stores like home depot. They're not awful, but not top notch either. Home Depot would be able to buy them for less, and the toilet company could move product that would otherwise be scrapped. A win win situation.

I'm not sure if it's true, but it sounds reasonable to me. I've also seen anecdotal evidence to support this.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I'm not convinced that this is true. First, I doubt that major name brands like Kohler want to damage their reputation by selling inferior stuff through the big box stores. Second, I am sure, because of the huge volume that Home Depot, for example, represents, that they can get a better wholesale price (and provide a better retail price) from the manufacturer than your local plumbing store. I do think that they sell some products at low prices that can be marginal in quality, but I have yet to purchase something from them that was a name brand and was of poorer quality. As long as two items have the same bar code and/or model number, I believe they should be identical.

This topic has been visited before. Here is one of the previous threads; I'm not sure this will get resolved soon....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lower quality?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Like kudzu says, if the SKU number on the bar code is EXACTLY the same then it is the same product. If not all bets are off. My personal feeling is at a box store you need to know exactly what your buying as the help is more often than not that knowledgeable.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

There is a conflict of interest with the plumber, so I don't believe those lines. Call Kohler and ask what the differences are.

• kingbiscuit41
    9 years ago

As someone who works internally at one of the top toilet/bath/faucet companies in the US, I can tell you that toilets and bath tubs sold at big box stores and plumbing supply stores are the same. As another member mentioned, as long as the model numbers match between retailers, it is the same product. Plumbing supply stores certainly offer more high-end products, but the big-box stores actually tend to get the newer/higher-tech offerings first. As long as you see the specs you want (tub materials, flush type, etc.) I wouldn't worry about where I'm purchasing these products. And no one sells "factory-seconds" to a big-box store. The risk is far too great, as all of the companies in this field make around 75% of their money from these big-box stores. The buyers at the big-box stores are extremely picky (rightfully so) and would throw us out if we started sending them "seconds".

Faucets are a slightly different story. Suppliers are squeezed pretty hard to offer the lowest cost products to the big box stores, so they tend to have lower quality (read: plastic) internal parts. Plumbing supply stores generally stick to the brass internals, but offer them at a higher price. Keep in mind, these are DIFFERENT products. As above, check part numbers if you are concerned. For the most part, the big box stores want exclusive products, so you more than likely won't find the same products (sold in-store at Lowe's/HD) at plumbing supply houses. Don't be afraid, however, to order something off the Lowe's or HD websites, as they'll typically carry those all-metal, higher quality parts to sell online vs their value-focused in-store products.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago
    kingbiscuit-
    Thanks...I appreciate the insights. What you say confirms what I've always suspected, but it's good to hear it from someone with first-hand knowledge.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    9 years ago

Never ever buy a toilet or shower anything from a box store.

• kingbiscuit41
    9 years ago

Do you have any reasoning behind this, John Whipple?

• loves2read
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can only speak from personal experirence--

we were remodeling home and needed to replace 3 toilets--one we wanted to do right away vs wait until after tile was laid. The contractor went to Home Depot and bought 2-pc toilet--American Standard I think--

He had to return it twice because the tank and the bowl would not fit correctly. I needed to get a valve for shower at plumbing supply store and asked about the toilet problem. Guy said that big box stores get seconds--there are more quality control issues with those products than what a plumbing supply store sells because a professional plumber is not going to waste time making trips to the store to get parts/products to work correctly...

I ordered 3 toilets--same style that we tried to get at HD--from him at basically the same price as HD's and they delivered to the house free of charge...all 3 installed w/o issue...

So now that we have vacation house in FL that needs a master bath remodel, I won't waste any time buying from big box stores for items like p;lumbing fixtures...

And I think you can also run into issues with quality control with tiles being just a little "off" coming from big box stores vs tile place like Emser...HD and Lowes sell lot of DalTile so that might not be as much of an issue but for specialty tile I think I would check w/tile store vs big box first...Order a box from each and check for imperfections before making full order...

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bottom line is that, for certain things...yes, Homer Burrito is certainly cheaper for valves and mixers. My wife works for a High End plumbing house.

The "Very Same" mixer is more expensive there than at HD. Why? One uses brass internals and one uses teflon. No difference in performance.....for 2 or 3 years!

You want a Chevy or you want an Acura? You pays your money and you takes your chances......

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    9 years ago

One other thing to consider: If you are hiring a plumber to do your install...ask him if he will warranty labor for a few years if he provides the fixtures. My plumber does this. I think it's a pretty neat policy.

My belief, is....If you need service and expertise, definitely buy from a plumbing showroom. And don't 'use' the sales staff and showroom (for advice and to see the products) and then go buy online. That's not very ethical, IMO.