Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hex tile and grout colour questions, answered

Posted by sandn (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 13:37

Hello Nutherokie and Onelady,
You asked about the tiles and grout colours in this picture:

The hex tiles in our bathroom are from Daltile. They are 1 1/4" inch hexagon, unglazed, through-body porcelain tiles. I think they come in black and white only. We originally had tile samples from a boutique tile shop and only when we were hunting for other tiles did we realize that they were Daltile. The boutique store was charging almost 3 times the price as some other retailers.
The grout our tilesetter used is an unsanded grout from Germany, which we left unsealed, except in the shower. It is a brand called Fugenbunt. The floor grout colour is Topas 036, a light grey. It hardly shows the dirt (and I am not a fastidious housekeeper), but it does darken, just slightly, between cleanings in the higher traffic areas. So i would probably go just a slight shade darker, if I were to choose again. The colour in the photo is a good representation of the shade I would choose (i.e. slightly darkened from use).
The wall tile grout is Jasmin 003, an ivory colour, and good match for the subway tile. We are going to use the same tile on our kitchen backsplash, but with a light grey rather than ivory grout for a more period look.
Here is a picture of our bathroom tile wall before grouting. You can see the definition between the tiles more clearly, and I think it looks more Victorian than the grouted tile in the finished picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hex tile and grout colour questions, answered

Thanks so much! I'm planning to use light gray grout for my 2-inch unglazed hex floor and have been debating whether to use the same color for the off-white crackle subway walls or to match the tile instead. Yours looks wonderful.

o

I love the floor. It is the look I wanted for our floor. Never having done any tiling before, we just went with white grout. Our floor is white with black pencil trim. Do you have more pictures to share of your bathroom?

o

Most welcome, Nutherokie. I hope you'll post photos of your finished bath. I really vacillate between grout colours that blend or contrast with the tile. Very different looks, but sometimes I regret not using the classic light grey.
Renov8r, I don't, just at the moment. Although the bathroom has been technically finished for quite some time, we neglected to take final photos. And then, in the intervening time, our white oak vanity succumbed a little to the ravages of UV from all the windows, becoming just slightly orangey--just enough to clash with the neutral palette and make me crazy. I am determined to grey things down a little, both vanity and trim, before I take the final shots. But when I do...

o

Thank you sandn. It is a beautiful inspiration bath.

o

It looks like Lanka Walltile might be back in business. I think you said in the other thread that they made the subway tile you used in the shower?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lanka Walltile Facebook page

o

Love the floor and have samples of it in my bathroom right now - thank you for sharing your progress photos of what you're creating. I like the grey grout too - looks fantastic! Keep the pics coming so we can see how it all comes together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here