Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weiss528i_gw

Decision Time: Air Tub or Soaking Tub

weiss528i
13 years ago

We need to order our bathroom plumbing this week. We have a small bathroom that cannot fit both a separate tub and a shower. We need to have a shower/tub combination. At first we thought we would just install a soaking tub, but now are intrigued with the idea of an air tub. We have space for a 60 x 36 unit. We plan to tile in the unit (I don't like the skirts)

Please share brands, models -- include the good, the bad and the ugly and pictures. We've been to different plumbing stores and have been told about Jacuzzi, Jason and Kohler ---

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I installed a Sanijet, which I am very happy with. Here are pics (protective plastic still on bottom of tub). It seems like it would be very awkward to get in and out of for showering, though. If you're young and spry (I am not) then that wouldn't be such a problem to worry about. I also don't know how you'd mount a shower curtain or glass enclosure to contain the shower water from the deck of the tub. This model can also be an undermount, I believe.

Here is a link to a post where I sang its praises not long ago:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sanijet love

• bh401
    13 years ago

I went with the kholer Archer air bath. It's not installed yet but I liked the clean lines of it plus with the horizontal overflow you can have a deeper soak with out the super deep tub.

• astridh
    13 years ago

Olychick, which model Sanijet tub did you end up choosing? Do they have any showrooms, or did you just buy it from the internet?

• Olychick
    13 years ago

this is the model I selected with grab bars added:

http://www.sanijet.com/pdp28c66d.aspx -

they don't have showrooms so I just swallowed hard and ordered it. Love it!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Sanijet model

• slateberry
    13 years ago

I've had my eye on a Toto Clayton tile-in airbath for a while. I can't say they are any better than a kohler or other brand; we just stumbled on it because we'd already bought a toto clayton toilet and thought we might stay in the same line as we redo the bath.

As for the step depth, I remember reading about the design work of Shusaku Arakawa and Madeline Gins, who believe that we can defy death through architecture. They believe that houses that are physically challenging to live in are better, and their designs are frankly crazy by any standards we are accustomed to. I rolled my eyes when I first read about their work. One of their designs required crash helmets and hiking boots to tour, and some visitors broke bones. (I couldn't make this up if I tried!). But as bizarre as their designs are (you can check out their website at reversibledestiny.org), it did make me start to wonder, what if our houses required us to move and stretch a little more than they do now? So while I don't want to live in a house where visitors regularly fall and break bones, it seems to me that a navigating a deep step into tub is not asking for that much, especially if you have grab bars in the right places and a non-slip floor next to the tub.

I suppose an indigenous hunter-gatherer would roll their eyes at our sedentary coddled lifestyle and think we're crazy to live in a way that allows diabetes and heart disease to become epidemic.

So go ahead and get that airbath. Maybe you'll live a little bit longer :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: toto clayton airbath.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Slateberry, that is really interesting and worth thinking about. Getting into a deep tub for a shower is really not any more awkward than getting in for a bath, when I think about it. Who'd have thought it could be beneficial to us!

• catherineri
    13 years ago

I have a Bain Ultra Amma (it is separate from the shower). Many models, including the Amma, are offered with a tile flange. I have seen their models as a combo shower/bath in a local showroom. The sides of the amma tub are amenable to sitting on the side and swinging your legs over if safe transfer becomes an issue as we all get creaky.

You may already know this, but there are many postings about air tubs and Bain in particular, and I am very happy with mine. Before I purchased I checked them out by staying at a Bed & Breakfast that had them. On the Bain website is a list of places that have their products.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

http://www.sanijet.com/BuyDirect-Promotion.aspx

Sanijet is having a sale right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sanijet Semi-annual sale

• astridh
    13 years ago

olychick, is the Sanijet you picked comfortable for reading in, even though it has no arm rests?

• slateberry
    13 years ago

-hijack alert-
    Olychick, my office is on the 3rd floor of my house but I am constantly running down to the first to shuffle laundry or get a cup of tea, answer the door, etc. I keep reminding myself how healthy it is for me, especially when I forget to bring something back upstairs and have to run back for it again. I should move the laundry even further down to the basement for an even greater workout, ha ha.
    Oh, and the art over your tub is *perfect* with that tile border, as is the paint color. The whole design really sings.
    -end hijack-

back on topic: If I only had one bathtub in my house and was planning on having kids, I might not get a super-deep tub. People complain about back strain from bathing little ones in a clawfoot tub; I bet one of these deep airbaths might cause a similar strain. I usually just climbed in with my babies and held them in my lap so it was never a problem.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Astrid, I answered on that other Sanijet thread about reading.

Thanks slateberry; when I saw that triptych, it really confirmed that the leafy tile would work.

I am continually cursing about things I forgot to take upstairs, etc. I admire your attitude.'

I have a 2nd tub downstairs and will leave it so I can bathe the grandbaby when he's big enough, instead of using the bigger tub. I agree that it would be hard to bend over for too long.