Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoshannah

Custom or Stock Shower Door?

shoshannah
15 years ago

We are at the point in our bathroom remodel (upstairs hall/kids' bath)when we have to make a decision about a shower door. It's a cast-iron Kohler 60" tub (Villager) with a shower overhead. We want a dual-bypass frameless slider. Custom door estimate is $1500, including the special coating that reduces the need for squegee-ing. Stock doors I've seen run about $500. Is it worth it to go custom?

Comments (5)

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

For a previous bathroom with a tub we used a frameless bypass shower door from EXPO. less than $500, we installed it ourselves which was quite easy. 3/8" glass. very nice quality and finish. Just apply rainx and squeegee daily. looked like new .. I wouldnt do custom for a 60" tub. that opening is standard size.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I got a stock glass slider manufactured by Century Bathworks and purchased from my plumbing supply place. It was more expensive than the stock doors sold in Home Depot (about $750 including that special coating), but my contractor said it was better quality. I'm happy with it.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I echo charlikin. Just make sure to get the thicker glass (1/4 inch) and it'll look very classy.

• cindywhitall
    15 years ago

I ordered my Kohler doors from Lowes or Depot. Similar to stock doors, but I wanted nickel and semi-clear glass. They were not hard to install, and I don't see how custom are any better for that type of installation. Frameless doors have to have thicker glass because of how they are constructed. Try Kohler Fluence or Sterling Finesse. You can view choice on their websites and the store price is usually lower than list.

• big_deck
    15 years ago

Oh, have I been waiting for an opportunity to gloat about a mistake I made relative to shower doors. Turned out to be the best mistake I have ever made.

We looked at a whole variety of sliding shower doors and actually want a tri-slide. I spent a lot of time on it.

Finally, I decided on clear sliding doors from Lowes.

When they arrived I freaked as they were not for a tub, but for a shower stall!

However, when I measured from tub sides to ceiling they fit just fine.

Matter of fact, they are about a foot under the ceiling and the end result is that the amount of overspray that is released from the shower is an absolute minimum! The wife is very happy with them as cleaning the bathroom is a snap.

We purchased the Kohler Bypass Shower Enclosure. Here is a link.

Only complaint I have is that the 'screws' that hold the towel rods have to be retightened regularly. The cure for this problem turned out to be using threadlocker on the screws.

Soooo, if you can handle the height of a shower door verses tub doors, you might be happy too!

Also ended up being about $1,500 less than what I wanted as custom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Web Site