Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does anyone else have a family bath?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

In my farmhouse remodel, I have space for a small master bath (single sink, toilet, walk in shower) and two bedrooms with a fairly small bath upstairs (single sink, toilet, tub/shower combo) but I want a larger 'family' bath, too. I've noticed Sarah Richardson (HGTV) uses this term a lot, in her remodels.

The house is based on a 1920's look, so I really want to have one bath, with a clawfoot tub, sink with marble vanity, hex tile floors, small slipper chair, armoire storage, etc. Baths from this time period were usually added on to the existing home (as this one was) or were put in areas that were small bedrooms or other existing space. So a larger bathroom (even a hall/family bath) doesn't seem out of place.

The bath will serve a few different purposes. It's the family bath, or access to the claw foot tub for everyone. (Right now it's me and my husband, but family and friends do stay over...especially nieces and nephews.) Since there are showers in the master bath and upstairs, this is more of a luxurious bath that everyone can use. It also takes the place of the hall bath and powder room, close to the back door. There are two entrances...which is nice for access...and even provides a shortcut, between the master bedroom/bath and the laundry.

Here's the plan and a few inspiration pictures. I love the first picture, but just one set of drapes, one light fixture and beadboard, rather than wainscoating is more my style. The floors are beautiful (even with pink tiles) but I'll probably choose a different color. There's also an armoire example, for the storage area across from the toilet. The half wall, between the toilet and tub, has built in bookshelves...handy for the tub. I think this is going to be one of my favorite rooms in the remodel :)

Oh, and we live on a farm, so hopefully that explains the big pantry, mud room and open kitchen. The vestibule and mudroom also provide great airlocks. It was -14 F. the other night and more cold weather expected in a few days. It's 20 right now, so things are warming up! LOL

{{gwi:618187}}

{{gwi:618189}}

{{gwi:618190}}

Summerfield did this beautiful plan, on the Building a New Home forum. I couldn't find the picture, so this is just from my description...then I finally found the picture. What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do...and such a talented designer. Even things I didn't mention were on the plan...thanks again, Summerfield!

Comments (7)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll let this drop.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    13 years ago

Sorry you didn't get any replies. Initially I was going to tell you that we have a "family bath" but I realized it wasn't quite the same thing. Our "family bath" is just the main bathroom in our small ranch -- the only bathroom w/a tub. The other bathroom, a master, has a shower only.

I do think it's nice to have one bathtub in a house...and I do not think more than one tub for a family is necessary. At first I regretted buying a house that only has a shower in the master, but I never have a time for bath anyway because I have a kindergartener and a toddler running around.

Your family bath idea sounds VERY luxurious and I think, if you have space and budget, makes sense b/c it will give your place the one tub. It may not be used regularly, but when it's used it will be enjoyed!

• pps7
    13 years ago

It's an interesting idea and looks like it will work very well with your layout.

When I read your post, I thought you meant a bath that everyone in the family uses. We are a family of 3 with only one child. He has his own bath upstairs but prefers ours right now b/c of the heated floors. I thought I wouldn't want him in our bathroom but actually I don't mind. Only one bathroom to keep clena-LOL!

• brickton
    13 years ago

We have a family bath in our plan, but to the exclusion of a master (ie we chose one larger bath upstairs versus two smaller ones). It's all in the way we live, and with 3 kids under 5 right now we all end up in the bathroom way more often than you might expect. Haircuts, potty training, tubby time, medicating sick ones, the doing of hair, the list goes on. All of that means that a more spacious bath took precedence over a more private one. Plus as pps7 said, my wife is all about fewer bathrooms to clean. She would rather have two spotless baths rather than 3 functionally clean ones.

Plus if you have room for an airy bath particularly with a great claw foot tub under a window.. yes. Just yes.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

A family bath is nice in theory, but I don't know how functional it is in practice. Those large garden tubs take forever to fill, and the cast iron claw foot tubs, while lovely, get cold fast! I'm speaking from experience on that.

It is very convenient to have all the kids in there with you when they're little, but they get big FAST and want their privacy -- and so will you. You don't have potty training and "tubby time" for more than a few years, and there's nothing quite like a teenager in the house to make you wish for your own space again.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Title of this thread caught my eye, and I too misunderstood what it meant. It's an individual thing and one that has to fit your home, lifestyle, wants and needs so if it's important to you go for it. But I have to ask, if you think it will become one of your favorite spaces, why not reconfigure so the tub fits in your master bath?

You mentioned you have shower/tub combos upstairs so wouldn't that be more than adequate for guests?

I can only speak for myself and my family, but as guests in other people's homes, even close relatives, we're more comfortable using bathrooms closest to the bedroom we're staying in. It's more about getting in and out rather than lingering like I'm at an inn on vacation. Looking at your plan, I'd think most guests would probably use the baths upstairs too because they'd be more private than choosing the bathroom surrounded by your social areas and off the deck. I love my tub time, but I wouldn't feel comfortable hogging that first floor bathroom. I think a powder room or small bath downstairs and a larger MB makes more sense.
    Do nephews really like to take luxurious soaks or need a big tub? If they want to frolic in water wouldn't using the hot tub on the deck be more fun, scenic and make more sense?

Also agree and know from experience that those club foot and large tubs get cold so fast. I love long soaks with a book so a seperate shower and a large tub in the MB was important when we bought our house, but I often go to the bathroom with a smaller tub so it stays warm longer. When I remodel the MB tub will be deep narrow and heated.

Just some thoughts.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Ooops forgot to ask. Is your plan to scale? I ask because it says the MB is 6x10 and the family bath is 8x10, but eyeballing it the family bath looks wider than the master by more than 2 feet. Am I reading it wrong?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals