Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam Shower. Kerdi vs AquaDefense advice needed

Posted by jdougjo (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 13:10

I'm about to remodel my master bath. I've got bad arthritis so I think I want to invest in a steam shower.

After using the Internet to research it seems the consensus is that Kerdi is an excellent choice to water/vapor proof the enclosure.

I've used one tile guy for a number of years and when I asked him about it he said he has built a number of steamers and is familiar with Kerdi by prefers using liquid (he mentioned AquaDefense).

His description of using liquid waterproofing was "Everything in the process is basically the same except for the waterproofing which gets two coats of liquid over underlayment and fabric in the corners to seal completely."

Should I be comfortable with this? Or, should I ask him to use Kerdi? Or should I look elsewhere? I've been very happy with him in the past. He's got over 30 years experience in tile setting.

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam Shower. Kerdi vs AquaDefense advice needed

I don't believe that AquaDefense is a vapor barrier, which is what you need for a steam shower. If he isn't comfortable with Kerdi, I would look for someone else. Noble also makes a vapor barrier, which would be just as good as Kerdi.

o

AquaDefense can be used in conjunction with a vapor barrier. Your tile selection can affect your decision to use Kerdi. I recently finished 2 tub surrounds which were 100% glass tile. The tile manufacturer specifies modified thinset and Kerdi specifies unmodified. There are many different opinions on modified vs. unmodified with Kerdi. I wasn't willing to risk it.

o

"AquaDefense" is not a vapor barrier like you mentioned catbuilder and I would look for someone else as well.

o

Although he says he's done many steam showers I don't get the impression he knows that much about their construction. Like the fact that they need to be vapor proof as well as waterproof and even the reason you build them with a sloping ceiling.

But, the work he did with the granite and tile in my guest bath and kitchen was excellent at a fair price with very little hassle so he's a find in that regard.

I'm not sure he's ever tried Kerdi. Would it be a huge risk for me if I was his first try? He's a smart guy with tons of experience so my guess is he could do it well.

o

I sometimes hesitate for someone to experiment with a new system for his "first time." Having said that, Kerdi is relatively easy to install and the learning curve isn't very steep.

o

Well,somebody has to be the first. Maybe he'd give you a discount?

o

Kerdi is fairly easy. The Kerdi Shower thread that I posted years ago was my first Kerdi install. You have to start somewhere.

And if he's a decent and conscientious worker, he might actually be more meticulous than most with this being his first Kerdi installation.

Though I haven't touched it in years, RedGard is a topical membrane that's a vapor barrier too. The thing is, with topical membranes on a shower floor I prefer to use a flanged drain instead of using a divot method with a clamping drain. With RedGard, you'd have to use the divot method in order to maintain the weep holes.

So Kerdi would work.

Or he could use Aquadefense, but only in conjunction with a vapor barrier behind it.

Me? I'd use Kerdi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here