Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docrck

Prewar NYC apartment bathroom 2: Finished!

docrck
11 years ago

Hi

Here is the second bathroom renovation. It is a TINY bathroom that would, outside of NYC, be considered a closet!

The bathroom is in a 1921 pre-war historic district apartment. We did not move any pipes so the layout is exactly as it was in the past. The last renovation was in 1979 by previous owners.

Once again, thanks to Gardenweb members for their help and to MongoCT and Bill Vincent for their technical expertise and guidance.

Here is what we used:
Floor tile: Honed Carrera marble 2-inch hexagon
Wall tile: white subway
Floor grout: Laticrete Permacolor, silver shadow
Wall grout: Laticrete Spectralock Pro, silver shadow
Wall paint: BM, sweet innocence
Kohler Wellworth toilet
Duravit Vero washbasin
Kohler Stance showerbody
Speakman showerhead
Gedy by Nameeks towel rack
Craftsman StyleDrain 9170-PVC-2

Here are some pics of the bathroom before we renovated:

And here are some images after the renovation:

Happy New Year everybody,

docrck

Comments (19)

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

There is nothing I like more than great use of small space, and your bathroom is fantastic! The sink is beautiful and I like the very neutral color scheme - congrats!

• kmcg
    11 years ago

You did a terrific job on both bathrooms - what an improvement! And it's great you were able to keep the classic pre-war feel without sacrificing function.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, small space but it looks great! I love those floor tiles!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

They both turned out very well--nice update while keeping the period feel.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

What a lot of nice in a little space! :)

• belasea
    11 years ago

Love it! Simple, clean and timeless! I love how you kept the theme of the age of the building. We wish we would have seen some of your choices earlier! We would have incorporated a couple in our little bath.

• crl_
    11 years ago

Really nice! Thank you for sharing! We are in the planning stages and are thinking of some similar choices so it's great to see them executed so well.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Agree, so clean and classic and great use of space. Love it!

Got some questions if you don't mind...

Can you please provide info on your wall and floor (beautiful!)tiles including grout type and color, and wall paint color?

Like what you did with the windowsill and shower shelves. What is it and did you use the same material for the shower curb? How do you stick those shower shelves?

Can you please tell me the shower demensions? I have a small shower in a downstairs bathroom that feels so closed in with a glass enclosure.

Was wondering will you leave the shower open, add a door or use a shower curtain?

Thanks!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I love it. What is that: 30" wide?

• docrck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! We're very happy with the outcome.

Island, in reference to your q's:
    -The tiles, grout and paint are noted in my original post above the photographs
    -The sill, shelves and curb are Carrera marble and they were cut to order at a stone depot
    -The tile master mounted the shower shelves when laying the tile
    -Dimensions of the shower stall are 30 inches deep, 33 inches wide and we have 9.5 feet ceilings
    -We had a track mounted on the ceiling for a custom shower curtain. The space is too small for shower doors of any kind and even if they fit, would make the space inside feel claustrophobic.

Hope this helps,

docrck

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

One of the things that drives me a little crazy on the forum is that the general advice tends to run toward that you can't do a bathroom like this at all.

This would not be currently to code in new construction of course, but 36" wide Would be, and even though it's a tight fit, people can and DO (like people in NYC) have usable, tiny (and beautiful) bathrooms. So often the message here seems to be, if it's so small, don't bother. I am glad to see something that (by necessity) counters this viewpoint.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Sorry docrck for some reason when I open your post it loads at the first before pic and I was so interested in seeing your final outcome I didn't see the list above.

Thanks for answering my questions. I see you mention the tiles, but there are many subway wall and hex floor tiles out there could you please share the specific source manufacturer or product # for the ones you used?

Also you mention this is the 2nd bathroom you did. If you posted pics of another one can you please provide the link? Would love to see what you did with that one. Thanks again.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Please disregard my last question, I found the link for bathroom 1. Going to check it out now!

• docrck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island, our tiles were from Nemo. The Carrera marble hex and the Carrera marble basketweave have to be custom ordered in advance.

• deedles
    11 years ago

That is beautiful! Great tile and the floor is gorgeous!. Love little spaces like that. Nice job.

• sparklebread
    11 years ago

I just love both your bathrooms.

I am intrigued by the track you had mounted on the ceiling for a custom shower curtain. Would you be able to post a pic if that?

Also, curious about your wall color....looks like a nice blue-gray. Would you mind sharing that as well?

Thank You!

• Joga
    11 years ago

So beautiful and timeless--nice work!

• kam76
    10 years ago

Just wondering how your real marble floor is holding up in your shower. I absolutely love the look of the simple subway with the beautiful floor but I have heard/read things about marble being a problem for shower floors.

• docrck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kam76, the floor has held up beautifully. No issues here at all. We still love our bathroom and the choices we made.