Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkauf_gw

large rectantular tiles-small bathroom

dkauf
13 years ago

I've fallen in love with a12x24" ceramic tile and am wondering if any of you (1) have used them on floor and/or wall and (2) if any of you have used them in a small bathroom? Floor space measures about 3' x 10' Photos would be great if you have. Thanks!!

Comments (14)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We used larger tiles on the floor and tub surround in our very small MB. My finished bathroom thread shows pics. I can link it for you later if you can't find it on this forum.

• dkauf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Desertsteph and Cat_Mom for your ideas. Cat_Mom, your baths look a lot like mine. I was originally going to use 13x13 square tiles until I saw the 12x24 rectangular ones. That's where I'm vacillating.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Only thing I'll caution about larger tiles is they can sometimes "pillow". Meaning instead of being flat, they're puffed up or bowed up a bit in the center.

Generally it's not a problem if they are set in a stacked pattern. It can become a lippage problem if they are set in a 50% offset running bond pattern.

Might be acceptable on walls, but it might not be acceptable on a floor.

So check your tile choice before purchasing, or at least buy with the caveat that you can return if they are unacceptable.

• cangelmd
    13 years ago

Mongo - do the large tiles show pillowing in a 90 degree angle ?diamond? pattern - I don't know what the proper term is

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

I'm a huge proponent of big tiles in small rooms. I love playing with scale but on top of that I think it makes a room look bigger.

Here's my shower (this room isn't finished yet) with 12x24 tiles.

And I can't believe I've not taken any recent pictures of the floor, but here it is, pre-grout with 6x24 tiles (they were actually 12x24 but the tile setter cut them down):

Our bathroom is 8x8, so hardly huge.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Not all tiles will be pillowed, it's just something to look for, especially if they'll be on a floor.

If they are pillowed, you'll end up with the most lippage if the midpoint of the long side meets the end of a tile, so a running bond would the be worst case scenario. A herringbone pattern would do the same. Not sure what you mean by "diamond" pattern for a 12" by 24" tile. Though set straight in line with a wall or on a 45-degree bias, it's all the same, it's more important how the tiles stack against each other versus how the pattern is oriented/aligned with to the room's walls.

Again, it doesn't happen to all tiles, some are indeed flat. Starting several years ago I started doing more large-format with the 24" tiles, that's when I noticed it.

It a 50% offset running bond it'll be the worst, as you'll have the high midpoint of a pillowed tile right next to the lower ends of the adjacent tiles. Less so with lesser offset, like a third offset. With a stacked pattern lippage will not be a problem.

Didn't mean to throw scare into anyone. Just something to consider when thinking about tile size versus location (wall or floor) versus pattern.

• jules8
    13 years ago

i used 9"x18" porcelain tiles on the floor of my 4'x5' bathroom and on the walls of my 3'x 3.5' shower. I love the look. If I knew how to add photos to this message, I would......

• jules8
    13 years ago

I was finally able to include the photos.
    1/16" gray grout lines makes it almost seamless.
    the tile is Folio Artistica Meteor Silver

Here is a link that might be useful: meteor silver

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Wow, that's a stunning shower, jules8.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Ditto on that jules8!!!! Love the silver with the blue!

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

Yes very nice jules8, I used 24x24 laid tight and I love it!

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Go for it. Larger the better. remember, less grout is better, large tiles are bestest :)
    For my next bathroom remodel,i may go with full sized slabs instead of tiles. Grout lines are just nasty...

• qs777
    13 years ago

Another vote for yes! We have a 5 x 7 bath in which we used 12"x 24" tiles and love it. Our vanity/toilet floor area looks very similar in size to Jules' with our door leading in to the bathroom where her shower door is and our tub next to the toilet, if that makes sense. HTH

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm