Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Grout for Ostrich Gray Slate/Quartzite Tile

pricklypearcactus
13 years ago

I am in the process of installing (DIY) honed ostrich gray / silver gray slate / quartzite tiles (16x16) in my laundry room / mud room, powder room, and pantry. I would really appreciate grout recommendations. Overall, the tiles are smooth with primarily silver, charcoal, and black coloring. There is a great deal of variation and strong patterns of veining and splotching in the tile. I have sourced from a local stone tile wholesaler so I do not have an exact "brand", but the stone looks just like Arizona Tile's Ostrich Grey Honed Quartzite.

I am considering either a charcoal or black grout that would match the dark tones in the tile, or a silver or gray grout that would match the lighter tones in the tile. What would be the effect of matching the dark vs light tones on the overall look of the tile?

Are there any brands that would be long lasting and retain color? I do intend to seal the grout (and of course the tile), but I would like to make certain I select a high quality product.

I read in another post that grout tends to dry lighter than grout sample sticks. Is this true? For all brands? Should I always select a sample darker than I really want? I have only ever worked with white grout and do not want to make a mistake.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Comments (6)

• pussuskattus
    13 years ago

Hello, pricklypearcactus -
    I just got done installing the same product (Arizona tile's product, specifically), and I used "Dove Grey" grout from Polyblend. Home Depot carries it, but as a special order item.

The Dove Grey is a blue grey, which, to my eye, matches the blue undertones of the tile. (Natural grey from Polyblend is a green-grey.) And the dark grout minimizes the tile pattern.

The sealer I am going to use is the Miracle 511 sealer and impregnator - it's one of the recommended ones on this and JohnBridge's (tile setting) forum.

However, one thing I am struggling with right now is whether I want to use an enhancer/sealer. Same company makes that as the Miracle 511, but the enhancer makes the tiles darker (and the grout). I have noticed that, when the tiles are darker, they are less "busy" - the lighter and darker parts of the stone are closer together in color, so the pattern of the tile is more subdued.

So I tried some samples in both the sealer and sealer/enhancer - will make the decision tomorrow morning!

Good luck!

• pricklypearcactus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much, pussuskattus for your insights! I brought home grout sample sticks from Mapei and Laticrete from my tile store and was really struggling with what tone of gray or black to choose. It looks like the Polyblend Dove Grey would go very well with the deeper gray/charcoal tones of the tiles (but still be lighter than the really deep charcoal/black tones).

I took in one of my tiles to the tile store yesterday and tried out the 511 sealer/enhancer and another sealer/enhancer that the store carried (though it's not as high of quality as the 511). I'm going to pick up some 511 sealer (without enhancer) to test as well. I absolutely agree that the enhancer darkens and almost seems to subdue the pattern, which was exactly the opposite of my expectations.

If possible, I would love to hear what you end up choosing in terms of sealer vs sealer/enhancer. And of course I would love to see pictures when you are finished with the floor. Thanks very much for your help.

• qs777
    13 years ago

Pricklypearcactus:

We used the gold/green slate/quartzite in our kitchen. Our lot seemed to have much more gray/silver than gold or green and we ended up using Pewter from Polyblend and seemed to be a good match for us. HTH

• pricklypearcactus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, pussuskattus! Your bathroom is looking fantastic. Thank you for sharing the picture. The Dove Gray grout looks perfect. What sealer did you end up using (with or without enhancer)?

• pussuskattus
    13 years ago

The picture you see is without enhancer (I sealed it so the construction guys would not damage the stone when they spill stuff on it).

I've decided to wait until the whole bathroom is done (the tub and shower are going to be tiled in sumi-e 1-by-1 mosaic in zushi color) and then decide whether to enhance the stone. I am certainly leaning that way, but I have too many other decisions to make right now that cannot wait! (We are building a new house, and are about three weeks away from being done).

The countertop was installed today - white quartzite with grey veins/swirls/streaks, whatever you want to call it.

Thanks for the compliment!