Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmsweethm_gw

2nd finished bath: Master bath

hmsweethm
16 years ago

I just posted our new powder room. Here now is our Master Bath, which is not so big at about 6'10" by 10'4" or so.

To view more photos, I've put a link to the Photobucket account with pictures of all our baths and kitchen below. There is a list of the different selections on the left hand side.

Here is what we used for the master bath:

Kohler toilet San Raphael

Kohler sinks

Kohler shower fixtures (rain shower head, handheld and regular shower) Â in Varnished Bronze

Glass doors through Expo Design Center

Tile ÂCasa Dolce Casa porcelain; through Expo Design Center

Arch/niche tile and backsplash mosaic trim  travertine from Home Depot

Counters, bench in shower and top of "pony walls at shower  Durango travertine stone

Cabinetry  custom made locally; cherry w/custom stain

Sink faucets  Aqua Brass in antique brass

Towel fixtures  from Expo in Antique brass

Radiant heating - Warmly Yours

Vent  NuTone w/light

Lighting  Restoration Hardware Grafton double sconce in bronze

Paint  Benjamin Moore Mocassin

Here is a link that might be useful: Hmsweethm's baths & kitchen

Comments (10)

• slc2053
    16 years ago

Beautiful ....so warm...traditional yet classy...great job...what is the size of your shower?

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, slc2053. We love the new bath. It used to be a closet, so it's great to have our own bath that we don't have to share with the kids. The shower is about 3' by almost 7', the width of the bathroom. It's not quite seven feet. But you can judge by the large tiles, which are 12"x12". It's plenty big enough for us.

Here's a picture showing the bench we had built in there.

• janwad
    16 years ago

You've made my day! I've got 2 baths to redo and I hope I do half as well as you have.

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, janwad! The choices available for faucets, tiles, colors, etc., are just overwhelming, but all the stress and time spent on this are well worth it, because you end up with a bath you really want to live with for a very long time. I never want to renovate again, but isn't that what we all say? LOL! Good luck to you.

By the way, I wanted to add to my list of items I used:

Robern medicine cabinets, which have mirrors inside the doors and the shelf area.

Lighted magnifying mirror (it's attached to our window frame -- needs refining; wire shows). It's either a Conair or a Hotel brand, I forget, cuz they had both brands at the Linens n Things where I bought it.

• snowyshasta
    16 years ago

I love it, too! I really like the cabinet separating the two mirrors/sinks. I saw something like this in a magazine and am seriously considering it for our master bath renovation. I like that idea better than one huge mirror, and also I thought the upper storage could be a medicine cabinet (more out of reach of little hands). How is it working for you?

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

WOW, I love it. You can tell you put a lot of effort into the project. All of the details are perfect. You did a great job.
    Donna

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments, Snowyshasta and organic-donna. We absolutely love our bathroom, now that we've been using it for a few months. We also saw this design and "borrowed'' it. Actually we saw a bathroom in a showroom, and immediately knew it was what we wanted -- the colors, the look, the fixtures. It wasn't too feminine, or too masculine, but just right for a his and her bath.

I just asked my DH what he liked best about the bath (he's sitting here watching basketball), and he said the shower. It is equipped with three heads -- a handheld, a stationary one and a rain head. "It's like being in a spa,'' he said. I love all the storage. As you can see it's not a huge room, but we created a serene space for the both of us, with every nice feature we wanted, and with enough storage for all my girlie things away from our three teenage daughters, and our collection of nice towels. My husband loves having his own space too. His, of course, is not as packed as mine, but we actually still have some half empty drawers and shelves. The tower is so handy. Our cabinet maker tried to talk me into making the glass doors on that tower a frosted glass, but I insisted on clear glass, and I'm glad. Doesn't look great in the picture, but I love that I can see everything in there. You can always hide things -- like first aid medicines -- in pretty baskets and still keep them there.

We love the radiant floor heating, and we especially love the Robern medicine cabinets, which have mirrors inside the doors and even along the back of them. Love, love love our new bath.

It was costly, and like you, Organic-donna, we worry about money, especially with the economy being as it is. But we think we were smart shoppers about everything we bougtht, and know that if we ever want to sell our house (but we have no such plans), we'll get our money back. We built it for us, and every single day I am grateful for this pretty bath and have no regrets that we did this. Besides, I grew up in family of nine -- and we all shared one bath! I'm done with sharing.

• snowyshasta
    16 years ago

Thanks for your response, especially on the tower. I am really interested in having one. Hadn't thought about the clear vs. frosted glass question, thanks for bringing that up, I guess I can see pros and cons each way. We are also looking forward to floor heating in our updated bath!

• Jim Peschke
    16 years ago

Your bathroom is gorgeous. Even though I saved the picture on my computer I keep going back to the pictures on line. I love how you handled all the details like the towel rings and racks. You mention the dimensions of the room, but I was wondering if you could tell me how long the vanity is and how wide the cabinet between the sinks is. I really like your set up and wonder if it would fit in our MB.

- Jim

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, Jim.

I just went and measured for you. The vanity itself is just shy of 80 inches across -- the cabinet maker made it as long as he could once we laid out the shower. The tower is 15 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 50 inches tall. As for the cabinets themselves, the drawers under the tower are 18 inches wide, and the cabinets for the sink are about 30 inches wide. Hope that helps.

Oh, and I didn't mention it in the list above, but the knobs are all Restoration Hardware, I believe they're called Chatham, in brass. Bought on sale months before the renovation was complete.

Good luck.