Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntruro

DIY bathroom renovation cost actuals

ntruro
13 years ago

I thought other DIYers might find this actual cost information useful. This was a complete renovation, down to the studs and subfloor. The only outsourced labor was for the installation of the roof cap vent. (Our roof is too steep to walk on.)

{{gwi:1389200}}

{{gwi:1389201}}

Here are a few pictures of the completed bathroom.

{{gwi:1389202}}

{{gwi:1389203}}

{{gwi:1389204}}

{{gwi:1389205}}

Comments (14)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks! This will be useful, and soon I hope!

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Awesome job. lovely bathroom. and two thumbs for the Yes, I can DIY job :)
    Thanks for sharing the expenses.

How much would this job have cost professionally? Is it usually double of cost or triple of cost? I guess it depends on the labor put in.

• diynewbie_sf
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing - you kept great records and your bathroom looks great! We are in the midst of multiple DIY projects incl a bathroom reno and to be honest, I have so many lowes & HD receipts in my files, it would be hard to figure out how much was spent on each project so it will be really helpful to others to see how you organized your record keeping.(btw, you got some great deals!)

• Danielle
    13 years ago

Just curious - how wide is the area for the toilet? I'm contemplating moving my toilet into an area that will be only 30" wide. I have a very small bathroom and by doing this will allow me to make better use of the space.

• ntruro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Socstarscer,

37.75" wide

Although it does not appear to be in the photo, the toilet is centered in the space.

And the CB2 magazine holder (attached to the wall next to the toilet) doubles as a cover panel for the tub plumbing access hole.

• Danielle
    13 years ago

ntruro:
    Thank you for this info. Great idea for the magazine holder - I will be faced with the same issue if I move the toilet. Also, thank you for sharing the budget info - very helpful to a DIY like me!

• Aliska
    13 years ago

From what I can figure out, you must be in Columbus, OH (like me) as I am looking at several suppliers you dealt with. Why did you end up at Home Depot & Lowes as opposed to Carrs, Worly, or Plumbers Supply? Any suggestions on other dealers would be helpful.

My tile will come from Hamilton Parker, looking at Buckeye Marble & Granite, pricing out the hardware for best deal. A future tip - Bargain Outlet has great deals on closeout stuff. Where is National Builder Supply located as I am also looking for a deal on Toto toilets.

Any tips, comments on finding local suppliers would be helpful as I am still in the shopping phase, although have settled on quite a few things. Thanks!

• ntruro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aliska

Yes, I live in Dublin.

Several reasons for using Lowes and Home Depot instead of supply houses.

Convenience - Most of the supply houses are only open weekdays from 8 to 4 or 4:30 - very inconvenient for a DIYer. And the supply houses are all located significantly further away.

Expertise - The plumbing expert at my nearby Lowes, Jim, is a retired master plumber. He's a very nice guy and a great resource for answers to my plumbing questions. He's familiar with 1960s vintage plumbing and he knows exactly what pieces I need.

Product selection - Except for a few specialty items (Kerdi, Ardex Feather Finish, Laticrete SpectraLock grout, etc.) most required items were available at the big box stores.

Return policies - Both of these big box stores have exceptional return policies. I can return anything by simply showing the credit card with which it was purchased. (They can look up my purchases using my credit card number.) I always over buy and return the excess on my next visit.

Our experience with Hamilton Parker was unsatisfactory. A significant percentage of the tile arrived damaged. It was up to me to find the damaged tile and report it to HP. (They did not inspect the order for damage despite the boxes being heavily dented.) Their solution was for me to return the tile to them (a 35 minute drive) and wait for a new shipment which I would have to pick up. I ended up keeping the original shipment and being very careful using it, making sure I used the damaged tiles for cuts.

Buckeye Marble and Granite are great. It's a small operation and the owner, Tony, was very responsive and wanted to be sure we were pleased with their work.

National Builder Supply is located in Georgia. I found them through ebay. We bought three Toto toilets from them (2 separate orders). Great prices and customer service. Other good on-line sources include irawoods.com and homeandstone.com.

• suzanne_sl
    13 years ago

socstarscer - I seem to recall that the minimum width for a toilet is 30". You should double check that because I'm not home where my notes are. If your space is an alcove like ntruro's, you might give people claustophobia attacks with just 30".

• advertguy2
    13 years ago

You call that actual cost information? I see glaring discrepencies that should have been accounted for. Wire nuts? Finish nails? Exactly. Perhaps you should hire a better project manager and accountant next time.

Just kidding of course. Nice job listing everything and nice looking bathroom.

Enjoy it.

• intruder_tx_rr_com
    13 years ago

Material cost for the moderate shower project I tackled came to $8,560 using a Wedi wall and glass surround.

B.

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Wow ... I'm very impressed. What I can say for anyone else looking at this is that ntruto is obviously extrememly organized and can find a good deal.

I literally stopped adding up the numbers for our bathroom. I don't know what it cost and I don't want to know and I thought I was finding great deals all along: I got a remnant counter, found all the fixtures with coupons/discounts, etc. online, had a friend who is a pro tile installer do our tile so I paid cost for the materials and got a huge discount on the labor and it's still crazy expensive.

Oh well, it's worth it. Great job on the bathroom and the budgetting!

• chrisofot
    12 years ago

Hi Ntruro,

I saw your post back in January and saved it to come back to once I started my project (Your details are great!). I am getting ready to start my bathroom reno, but I am now not able to view your links.

Will you re-post your actual costs (or email directly to me)?

Thanks!

• ntruro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the delay in re-establishing the links.

Here are the cost sheets

And here are some photos of completed bathroom