Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning glass tiles in shower

Posted by susyqwolf (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 12:41

I have a new shower surrounded by glass tiles. What products should I use to clean the soap scum and water spots on my glass tiles? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning glass tiles in shower

We have a glass tile backsplash in our kitchen. I don't baby it (my backsplash over the range sometimes needs a thorough cleaning after using the oven esp after roasting using the convection fan or cooking at high temps, and I've thrown everything from BKF, to Dawn Power Dissolver, to OxyClean, etc., at it to clean the residual grease and discoloration, and the tile looks pretty much brand new). Outside of avoiding cleansers that might scratch the tile itself, or anything that might degrade the grout (Bill V. has said to avoid bleach or bleach-containing products because they will do something to the grout or sealer, or both--I forget!), I've used different products and the tile is fine--no scratches, no cloudiness, no etching.

I would think you could use most bathroom cleaners safely (when in doubt, always test on leftover tile or in an inconspicuous spot on your wall). Glass tile isn't porous (or as porous) as other types of tile (no need to seal glass tile, I've been told), so should be ok with whatever product(s) you use to clean your shower floor and sink.

o
RE: cleaning glass tiles in shower

Try to use only liquid soap or possibly Dove. Almost all bar soap contains animal fat as a filler/binder and that causes most of the scum. Also, towell off the shower whenever you can. Do these things and it will greatly reduce the cleaning chore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here