Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your SMALL (and I mean tiny) master bath photos

Posted by Rebeccamom123 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 12:32

My space is 7 feet wide by 8 feet long - Door from hallway is centered across front wall and there is a window centered across opposite wall. This is the main bathroom and only shower/tub for my family of 5. I am okay with a shower/tub combo for space saving but would love a double sink to allow for multiple kids to brush/wash together.

Here are a few of my inspiration photos for use of space:

Is this possible or am I living in a fool's paradise for thinking I could make this work?

I like this idea for a shower/tub combo:

Clever doors to reduce swingspace:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your SMALL (and I mean tiny) master bath photos

Rebeccamom, while that bathroom in the first photo is absolutely beautiful, it is NOT the same dimensions as yours. Assuming a very narrow 30" shower, a very narrow 24" for the toilet, and a very short 60" for the vanity (the shortest you can go with two sinks - and the vanity in the picture is much more than 60", more like 72" or more), you're already at 9-1/2' long.

The hall bath in our previous home was 7' wide by 8' long. We had a double sink vanity along one 8' wall, and on the other we had the tub, a half-wall, and the toilet.

o

I figured it was too good to be true. I am okay with a shower/tub combo. But the good news is, it sounds like I could still fit a double sink? I guess I should start looking for some new inspiration photos;)

o

I need to read begin to read the entire post before forming opinions--I was thinking your 7' x 8' bathroom looked fabulously roomy! lol oh..that was an inspiration photo.

Our master bath is a combined 11' x 5'. The shower/toilet area is a separate room from the vanity. I could punch holes in the guest bath wall to get you photos, but it is in the very awful before stage anyway. A double sink will fit in our space. If you combo your tub/shower you may be able to fit one into yours, too. When we were looking into double sink vanities for our upstairs bath, there were some available even in the 52" wide countertop vanities.

o

In ours, the door was in the middle (meaning when you opened the door all the way, it would "hit" the tub). On the other side was a full-length (8') vanity, so plenty of room for two sinks. Other people would object to a sink so near the door, but we didn't mind it. My kids grew up with that bathroom, and we used it for 26 years before we sold that house. We did like the fact that the toilet was somewhat hidden behind a half-wall (the wall was full-height, but only can out a little past the tub).

o

Okay, so a double sink is still within the realm of reality!?

Check out this beauty - they use something called a "European Splash Guard" to create an open tub with the funtionality of a shower too. This bathroom is 9X12 but behind the door is a seperate toilet room. So, maybe I recreate a similar layout but save space by using a much shorter sink/counter then toilet.

o

It is so hard to take a photo of a small space. This is 8+ x 7+. Plenty of room for two sinks. The toilet and tub are on the left side with a full height wall between them.

photo IMG_2297_zps77cf5a8b.jpg

-Babka

o

Wow, Babka! Your MB set-up looks to be similar to mine. I love your black and red. My photo shows our unremodeled, boring, unstaged current MB vanity area. Now you have me thinking....wallpaper? lol Never thought I'd be going that direction, but hmmmm...maybe. Thank you for sharing. Can I talk you into sharing shots of your toilet and tub section, too? How large is your toilet/tub room?
-----------------------------------
Not meaning to hijack your thread, Rebeccamom. But since we both share the tiny MB problem, and my elaboration seem to apply to your original design questions too, I didn't want to split the discussions apart.

I wasn't considering the tub/shower combo like you posted, but nothing is final for me at this point. I suspect my MB does not have sufficient room for one, but maybe I am wrong.

o

Wow Babka - thanks for sharing! Great use of space. Looks like I'd have plenty of room for double sinks. Yes - echoing Gry Falcon - let's see the bath/toilet!

Gry - Awesome space! What were you thinking for tub or shower? What do you have now? Any windows in your space?

o

For our MB, probably just a shower will fit. The shower/toilet room is only 5.5'x5.5', and the current shower takes up 32" of the width. Tight (use squeeky high voice--lol) . The upstairs bath is 10'x5.5, with a tub/shower combo. Still small, but all one room and probably the better candidate for a tub/shower combo.

Both have standard 17"x 46"ish horizontal windows that have already been retrofitted with double-paned. A fair amount of light comes through them due to sun direction. Although it would be nice to customize those, other home items will have better return for cost. As you can tell, the bathrooms are not the selling points for this house.

o

I posted the photo of our guest bath to show how easily two sinks fit into that size bath. The photos are not a remodel, but rather a redecoration. It is all original '60's stuff. We put in new faucets, floor, toilet, and wallpaper. It looks better now with smaller red rugs, I think.

-Babka

photo IMG_3888_zps0d6291c0.jpg

photo IMG_3885_zps703aeea4.jpg

photo IMG_3886_zps71d52bf3.jpg

o

Babka's guest bath pictured above is exactly the same layout (including location of door) as I was describing ---our kids' bathroom in our previous home. The only difference is the sinks were farther apart in ours.

o

Can you move the door a bit? 7 ft is 84 inches minus 30 inches for the door is 54 inches, which means you have about 27 inches on each side of the door. I don't believe 27 inches is wide for the tub/shower.

o

I don't think the door placement will be in the way of a tub? My bathroom is the same layout as this - door centered accross fromt wall, window centered accross back wall. Currently, my tub/shower and single sink are on the wall to the right and my toilet is across from the sink on the left wall, behind the door. I'd like to move my tub/shower across the back wall with the window (it's 8 feet across), just like in this picture, then put double sinks and toilet along the right side wall, like in this picture :

o

Babka, I was under the assumption that I didn't like light floors. But your bathroom is so nice, it has proved me wrong. I think the bold contrast really makes your bathroom special.

o

Rebecca, as a I said earlier, you can't accomplish your desired layout in 8' - the bath is 2-1/2 ft. Wide, the space for the toilet (side to side) is a minimum of 2' leaving at most 3-1/2' (42" - no way you're doing a double sink vanity in 42").

o

That's the layout we have. The room is 5' x 11'. It's 8' to the edge of the shower enclosure. Our vanity is 60".

o

This is a sketch I just drew up. Not locked into the layout but based on my measurements, it seems do-able to get a shower/tub (I'd like to do a full tile surround with European Splash guard) , toilet and double sinks into the space. Am I wrong? I know it's tight but I think feasible, right? Am I missing something obvious or did I miscalculate something?

o

If you can go with a 60" vanity then you can move the toilet to the same side as the vanity and down towards the wall with the window, use the space at the end of the tub for storage (shelves or a cabinet). That would get the toilet out of the way of the door and out of direct sight when you walk past the room.

o

It works fine if you're using both long walls (as in your drawing). That's not what you had described above (with the tub along the short wall, and toilet and double-sink vanity on that same wall).

As Babka and I both shared, our looked like your sketch, except:

1) we flipped the tub and toilet so the toilet was at the far end when you walked in, behind a full-height wall (between the tub and toilet) so not as visible. The door opened "into" the tub.

2) our vanity was not "floating" -- it went wall to wall, the entire 8'.

o

if the door's position is the issue, is there anyway you can change the door's position alittle to lay out your bathroom like babka's?? that layout is ideal for the size of the bathroom, imo...

i would think it would really be helpful to have the vanity the whole 8' of length so that there is as much storage as possible for the 5 people who share the bathroom. i also think having the toilet behind the wall at the far end of the bathroom is best so that if someone accidently walks in on someone else there is alittle privacy...

o

sjhockeyfan, you're right. the lay-out I had described previously was not doable. Great feedback on this plan, thanks!

Okay, so it seems like the way to go is to move the toilet to the opposite (far) end and flip it to the vanity side, then have the tub/shower on the other wall, with some shelving or a sitting chair.

Anyone know how much space is enough to have in the walking "isle" between the sinks/tub?

Thanks again for all the helpful critiques!!

o

The "isle" space is determined by the size of the people in it. I recall someone on the kitchen forum referring to a one fanny or two fanny kitchen. ;-)

-Babka

o

If your vanity is 21" deep with a 1" counter overhang and your tub is 30" wide then you have 32" of clearance. Our MB (until recently) was almost the exact same size and it did not feel cramped.

o

Okay, great. Sounds like I have a winning layout! Why is it that on Houzz, there are so few pics of this layout - which seems like it should be a standard master layout for a small space?

Still hoping to see more pics to get a better visual of how it would look.

And, any cost range of what to expect for this remodel? It will involve relocating all three fixtures (tub/sink & toilet) and knocking a wall to steal space from my DHs closet to get the extra 1.5 feet of width (it's even smaller currently for all 5 of us!)

Any insight is appreciated.

o

I wish I had pictures to show you, but we've been out of that house for over a year now.

<<>>

Actually, I wouldn't do it that way, but it's certainly a possibility. I like the full-height wall at the end of the tub, followed by the toilet (the tub is quite a bit wider than the vanity, so this layout provides more privacy for the toilet)

o

Babka, very nice bathroom and fancy decoration!

You have a lot of interesting posts here but unfortunately almost all pictures are not available.

o

It looks like you're considering a pocket door. I don't know if it is just our house, but our pocket door gives absolutely no privacy. Every sound is heard out of the bathroom...I would change it if I could.

o

It looks like you're considering a pocket door. I don't know if it is just our house, but our pocket door gives absolutely no privacy. Every sound is heard out of the bathroom...I would change it if I could.

o

Babka, your original 60s bathroom sure outsines my original 60s. lol Thank you for posting the other photo, too. I'm going to use some of the design ideas.

o

Thanks, Gyr. Our whole sub-division had colorful Kohler sinks. I needed some wallpaper to steal the attention from the boring, old-fashioned (but still in good shape) 4" ceramic tiles. The paper is black and metallic silver, altho it looks white in the photos.

-Babka

o

Rebecca, are you DIYing this reno, or hiring someone to do it for you? DH is doing all our plumbing and he just showed me why I can't have the toilet in the place I wanted it for our next BR. It had to do with the order of the fixtures in the line re venting/waste pipes etc. So, even gutting a room isn't enough when it comes to arranging plumbing. Check with whoever is doing your plumbing as to how feasible moving things around is before you get too much further in the planning.

Having said that, in a reno anything is possible, but it could involve a lot more money!

o

http://www.houzz.com/two_faucet-trough-sink

look at the picture for a double faucet trough sink which is a nice alternative to two sinks when you don't have the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: double faucet trough sink

o

We have a double faucet trough sink in a 66" vanity. I like it but some things to consider:

*all the ones that I looked at were more shallow than a standard sink so consider how you use it.
*if you need to fill it up it will take more water and take longer.
*without the space you get in between 2 sinks you may have to reach across or ask your partner to "pass the toothpaste"

Ours came with a nifty wooden bridge that spans the sink and is big enough to hold the toothpaste, brushes, soap. It's also very pretty in a zen like way.

o

Hey Lotteryticket!
DH and I are in the planning stages for two bathrooms to be remodeled, hopefully in the coming year but… ;) We are considering the trough sink for the master and I like your idea of the nifty wooden bridge. Can you add a link for that for me?
Thanks!

o

Look at the undersized tub thread -- that might give you some ideas for other options.

o

Hi earth_pal,
Didn't see your message until today. We got the sink from Wetstyle. I saw it on the showroom but not with the bridge. Some pictures on Houzz showed it with the bridge and I was hoping I could find one or make it. I was happily surprised it came with the sink!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wetstyle sink

o

Raehelen, I must have missed your comment earlier this week. I am planning on using a contractor. I don't myself for my DIYing anything that involved plumbing or electrical. That is a very good point. I also have a built in radiator on the back wall under the window of my space that will also probably pose some creative challenges. Great point about not getting too far along in the planning phase without a reality check :)

o

here's our small master bath we renovated last year. The dimensions of the room were 110 in x 90 in and the shower was 40x34. Keeping everything white really gave the illusion of it being larger than it really was.
 photo DSC_4891.jpg
 photo DSC_4897.jpg
 photo DSC_4899.jpg

This post was edited by pipdog on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 0:51

o

Oh WOW pipdog, that bathroom is to DIE for! I love everything you've done! Amazing use of space - so luxurious! How has the shower held up to wear and tear? Is that carrera marble tile surrounding the shower and bath? What is the color of the walls? So beautiful! Dare I ask your budget on this? Our space is just a bit smaller (96 X 84) but I think even those few inches would cost me the ability to squeeze both a shower and tub like you have been able to do.

o

thanks, rebeccamom. The marble is Calacatta marble from AKDO. It held up pretty well although there were a few scratches from my kids tracking sand and a handful of etches on the floor. This was the main bath and only tub for a family of four -- my kids had a smaller bath with a shower but they are toddlers and never used the shower.

For maintenance, we squeegeed the shower after every use which got old. I doubt I'd do marble again in a shower. Maybe white subway with marble in the niches or as accents, but not marble on the floor or walls of the shower.

The wall color is BM Light Pewter. Here's a link to the reveal with other details - I think it has the budget info in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom reveal thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here