Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Can I see photos of your two vanities?

redroze
15 years ago

Can you share photos of your two vanities? I wanted to get some ideas for our master bath. If you don't have photos, did you make the two vanities exactly the same in style and/or size? I read this post on the sizing of two vanities in a luxury bath, and appears that a lot of you have two vanities which I've never really thought of before as I had only seen the long single double sink vanities.

I'm intrigued with this idea of having two separate vanities, a "his" and "hers". It started off with the idea of us having two completely different faucets, which we may or may not do. We want to fit two sinks, a shower, and a clawfoot tub in our master bath, and our designer suggested two vanities that were not directly parallel to each other. I would prefer symmetry, but I noticed a post here (can't remember who) who had two vanities on separate walls, and it looked really nice.

Comments (13)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

You've probably seen my unfinished bathroom before red, but just in case I'll share my two vanities. In advance, I have to tell you that my husband's vanity (the smaller one) is not finished. It needs trim as well as two very large corbels that sort of carry it's weight visually :) Also our doors have to be changed (they're backwards) so I haven't put the knobs on yet (more shells) but...here ya go:

From the bedroom you just see the one big vanity area:

{{gwi:1388977}}

{{gwi:1388177}}

{{gwi:1388978}}

Then, so you see how it all flows, here's the tub area:
    {{gwi:1388178}}

Then his vanity:
    {{gwi:1388179}}

I think the reason ours works is that even though they're different, they're very silimar. Both have the french backsplash, his is higher than mine on the sides, and mine is broken up, but they're still basically the same curve lines. Our sinks are set the same, at the same height, debth, faucet height etc., and our mirrors are the same. I actually originally had two of the same mirrors but his was larger, thinking he had the room so it would look fine, but it didn't...the balance needed to be maintained to carry this off (IMO).

The general cabinets don't have any symmetry :) And given my vast level of design training...I'm fully qualified to say, symmetry, shwimmetry :oP who needs it! (One quarter of classes then dropped out to take care of the baby LOL) but I got an A for my bathroom on paper heh heh

Keefer would like me to add...please make your sinks big enough for just one:

• twosacharm
    15 years ago

igloochic,
    I love what you've done with the two different vanities and tub. DH had a question about the tub...do you have steps to get in/out?

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

Sorry these photos are so washed out.

Here's vanity #1:

From Master Bath

Here's vanity #2, which could have been a double vanity but I just had a single sink put in (I wanted a longer counter):

From Master Bath

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Igloo - Gor-geous. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you. I like the bumpout on the vanity with the uppers. I think you're right, in order to make it work there has to be a lot of similarities between the two vanities. Sure, the sizes are different but all the finishes are the same, and the fixtures and sinks are the same.

Thank you Annkathryn! Again, same deal as Igloo in that everything is kept the same. Great doors - lovely bathroom!

We weren't sure if we could get rid of this little corner wall "bulkhead", so this is the layout our designer came up with. I didn't like how the vanities were just randomly placed, it didn't feel right.

Now we know we can get rid of the wall, and our GC came up with this layout which I actually really like. The tub becomes a focal point, we get our two sinks, one of which is beside the toilet. It allows room for a larger shower. And the window isn't centered to the wall so it doesn't make sense to put the tub under it.

• ladycfp
    15 years ago

Igloo, every time I see your MB I want to rip mine out and start over again. Then I come to my senses. Nice job!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

LOL Lady, don't be so drastic...three years and it's still not done...don't put yourself through that hell LOL

(But thank you)

Red I like the redesign. I'd agree I don't care for your designers idea. A bit too random as you've noted, and really, the biggest thing in the room should be a focal point...ie the tub, which is why ours is where it is.

In that pic with the tub you see a brown area right at the bottom of the picture, that's the step (it's up 12"). You step on that, sit on the side and swing your legs over. It looks high, but the specs don't even call for that much of a step (I am not as tall as the average american). What you can't see is that the tub is sort of hot tub style, so when you swing your legs over you're not dropping into a deep bowl, but instead half of the bottom is a seat (so when you sit you have water to your shoulders). We did purchase some grab bars, and when the frame was built it was reinforced for them, but so far we're finding them not necessary. We also have a fold out step that was going to be installed in the little area built into the tub surround. Again it's made for the step, reinforced etc) but we've not felt the need.

Personally, in an ideal world, I would have had two steps, which is what the hotel where I saw this tub had (hotel vintage plaza in portland oregon). They of course have to plan for young and old using it and with that in mind, did the extra wide and big steps up. Most high soaking tubs just have a kick stool behind them to use to get in. I wanted a bit more substantial support...just incase I got drunk in the tub (a wonderful place to drink wine and rest LOL) and had to get out. (I'm somewhat kidding..but in my mind, naked and slippery, and a little stool seem like an embaressing accident in the making).

Red, because you didn't ask, I didn't post the shower...but it appears it might be an idea for you...half wall there on the side for privacy from the toilet, and then long and narrow (we think this shower is the best design feature of the whole house after getting rid of our 2.5' x 2.5' box).

It's kitty corner from the tub:
    {{gwi:1388983}}

Your set up would have some separation from the shower verses mine, but personally still...I don't want to shower and look at the potty...especially in a room shared by two adults...one of whom might be a man who poops...(women don't poop according to my grandfather so that's not a concern)
    {{gwi:1388984}}

• sapphire101
    15 years ago

I am in the process of a remodel and I did the corner tub like your GC suggests. What I did though is put two 4'x 4' decorative windows on either side of the tub. It really sets off the tub. I had a terrible time deciding what to do also. Now I'm in the process of picking tile and paint. I hate making those decisions. LOL

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Igloo

Igloo - SO helpful. Your hot tub set up must be divine. One of my favourite hotels was with my family when we were younger, and there was a hot tub in the middle of the room and we could watch tv in it. It was so ridiculously decadent. I like your shower idea and the privacy from the toilet is a good one. Another layout option which we're leaning towards - which wouldn't make the tub an instant focal point, but would allow us to have a single vanity - is to put the tub along the same wall as the shower, and the double-sink vanity along the wall beside the toilet. We don't get the nice vignette of the tub under the window, but admittedly it's not a huge window anyway.

I clipped two photos with a similar type of layout. I like the openness of having two floor to ceiling glass walls.

This photo shows a tub along the same wall as the shower. The door to our master bedroom is beside the shower, same as this photo.

This one has a vanity beside the shower, so it's not quite the same layout. Again, I liked the open-ness of the shower (so we could showcase fancy tile), and also the placement of the bench, since I'd only be using it to prop up a leg for shaving.

Sapphire - I've seen that setup with the two windows. We don't have a budget for redoing windows, and the wall to the left of the tub is the other side of a bedroom. I know, decisions can be a PITA!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I love both of those examples...and love the free standing tub :) I may have to save that pic. I have a new master bath to work on LOL (ok hopefully soon...I'm going house hunting this weekend). I like the open shower if the view is nice...but a view of the toilet...that I like to avoid LOL

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm hoping to do some really nice tile in the shower...something pretty that I can stare at so it will distract me from what's to the right of me =)

I'd love to be able to move it, but heard that it costs $2000 minimum to move a toilet.

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

I love the cat in the sink. It made me smile!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Have you priced the glass on a full size shower like that...it might be cheaper to do the half wall LOL

fancy, that darned cat thinks the vessel sinks are the "Cats meow". I guess it's the cool metal walls. I was worried they'd take over the kitchen counters (in the kitchen forum people often talk about how much their cats like the counter). Mine have never been counter cats (trained not to be) but when they got a look at these sinks..LOL for them there was no turning back heh heh

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're right, it would probably be cheaper. "But I WANT it!" Haha...

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor