Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
touring_gw

perception of size

touring
9 years ago

I have two possible layouts for my bathroom fixtures (see Pic attached).

To me, it seems that Version 1 provides a more spacious appearance which I would prefer. However, if there is little difference between the two versions then I would go with Version 2 since the fixtures are closer to the pipe fittings.

I would be grateful if you could express your perception.

VERSION 1 FROM DOORWAY

Comments (13)

• touring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

VERSION 2 FROM DOORWAY

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Why would you want to need to reposition yourself to move from the toilet to the bidet? I would think option one makes much more sense, but then i have never used a bidet. Of course option two works better for conversing if two people will be in there at the same time, lol.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Option 2 looks awkward, cluttered, cramped. I would move plumbing and go with Option 1.

• lee676
    9 years ago

> Of course option two works better for conversing if two people will be in there at the same time

My first thought was that option 1 would work better in that situation because with option 2 their legs/feet would crash into each other's. But somehow I doubt that's a likely situation. (and that's assuming the bidet user is facing outward - sometimes they're used facing toward the nearby wall). I find option 1 worth the trouble of moving plumbing.

This post was edited by lee676 on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 5:18

• touring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your quick response.

I prefer Version 1 and had indicated that to the plumber. However, he ignored my preference and has started to make preparation for Version 2. When I questioned him, he has been trying to convince me that Version 2 is comfortable and not worth the extra "effort".

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Option 2 would be great if my wife and I were using the fixtures at the same time. We could play footsie and talk about things:

"How's your bowel movement coming along?"

"Good. How's the water temp on the bidet?"

"Very comfortable. Much warmer than yesterday when the pipes were frozen."

However, if a stranger knocked on my door and needed to use the bathroom at the same time as me, then I'd prefer Option 1. We'd be sitting next to each other, but it'd be easier to avoid eye contact and an inadvertent session of Footsies with Stangers.

I vote Option 1.

• touring
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, Option 1 has been installed today.

• williamsem
    9 years ago

Seems like a good time to ask....how exactly do bidets work? I'm assuming much like the aftermarket bidet seats that they are a wet cleansing system.

But I've never seen an installed one. Do they have water in the bowl like a toilet? Are they just for #1? Do you use the toilet and just clean up with the bidet?

I'd love to hear how these things are supposed to be used. I've always wondered if it would be worth It to put one in if we ever build, but I haven't determined exactly how they function.

• lee676
    9 years ago

They're only for cleaning yourself after using the commode. I've only used bidets that are built into the toilet seat, which allow one fixture to do double duty and work well in my experience. I'm still a bit unclear as to which way you face when using separate-fixture bidets, or if it depends on the design of the particular bidet.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

"...how exactly do bidets work? "

For a separate fixture bidet, you usually sit on them with your back to the wall. The valves will be behind you. If you're not wearing pants then you can straddle it and face the valves. It's easier that way.

Some have a jet or fountain that shoots water upwards. I've seen a few that have a horizontal pipe coming out of the rim. Some simply fill the basin, like a sink.

With a jet you need to be careful turning on the water. Temperature and aim. My daughter was maybe five years old when she and my younger son were checking out the bidet in our hotel room. My daughter took a shot of water square in the face. Welcome to Rome!

Some people crouch or straddle over the the bidet without sitting down, some sit on the rim. It's okay to sit on the rim.

Washlets (the toilet seat replacement version) are pretty easy to use. Especially with a remote control that allows the user to position the spray head, select water velocity, spray pattern, water temp, seat temp, air dryer, etc.

We have a couple of washlet seats, a Toto and a BioBidet1000. Both are fine, but we both prefer the BB1000.

• williamsem
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info! Not many places you can ask that stuff. I'm fairly certain I'm going to try a simple add on seat this year, you can get a cold water model for about $50, I think the one I was considerng was $75. Worth the chance!

I've only seen a real bidet once, I'm hoping I run into another so I can try it! Glad I asked first though. Now I'll be likely to make less of a mess :-). (Btw, how can you not sit on the rim? I'm imagining the water would start to run down your thighs, but maybe I'm assuming that because I'm a bit clumsy and excel at making a mess?)

• lee676
    9 years ago

So what are the advantages of a separate bidet compared to a Washlet seat that fits on the toilet? The disadvantages of a separate unit seem obvious - higher expense (usually), more space needed in the room, a rim that's not as comfortable to sit on as a regular seat (which is sometimes heated to boot), more care needed to position yourself correctly, lack of separate rear and front spray options, no drying function built in, the inconvenience of having to move to a different fixture. So what's the upside?

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I love the scene in War of the Roses where Michael Douglas is nursing his no no place injury by standing over a bidet. That is all I know about them.