Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisk327

Vanity with white subway tile

chrisk327
13 years ago

I was looking to do a white subway tile bathroom with glass accent tiles in blue and green running around the room and a hex tile floor.

I'm trying to figure out what vanity i should put wth it.

I see a lot of subway tile baths with pedistal sinks. I don't want to go that way.

I see a bunch with white vanities. I"m not sure I want to go that route, but its an option.

Any thoughts as to putting an espresso or medium brown wood vanity in that type of bathroom? does it fit? not fit? maybe fit?

Comments (15)

• dazedandconfused
    13 years ago

Yes, I think that would look fabulous. Your bathroom sounds so spa like and soothing. The wood would really warm up the space. White subway tile can look very "sanitary" and "industrial" and somewhat cold, depending on what other tile or finishes are in the room. I have a white pedestal sink in my white subway tiled bathroom. I love the look but have used some wood accents in the room to warm it up. My master bath will also have white subway tile but I plan to have a wood vanity.

• chrisk327
    Original Author
    13 years ago

we're basically trying to do something differnet. every bathroom we see is brown/beige tile. we're actually doing the beige tile thing in the master and wanted to have a something a little differnet for the family bath. I didn't want to do the same bathroom twice even if the tiles were a little diffent

we don't want it to be too white either which is a danger with the subway tile and why I was shying away from the white vanities

• subwaytile
    13 years ago

It is a matter pf personal preference but I do not think that white subway tile would look right with a brown or espresso vanity. I love the idea of espresso or brown but this would probably go better with cream, beige, green or other earth tones. I think a white vanity with a nice top with look very good. You can also easily add color by decorating with a curtain, towels, etc.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Something like this?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

White subway and hex make a great contrast with a warm brown.

Look at Restoration HArdware's website for ideas.

• cloub
    13 years ago

I think a dark espresso color would make a beautiful contrast to the white subway tile. We are doing our MB with white subway tile and blue/green accent tiles, too. I was tempted to do dark cabinetry, but ultimately decided to go white. The main reason for my decision was the fact that all of the cabinetry is on one side of the room. I was afraid it would look too heavy, and make the room imbalanced. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet chaos

• chrisk327
    Original Author
    13 years ago

we've finally decided on the espresso shaker vanity. we'll see how it goes. the plan is do to a fireclay white top, or swanstone. I'm not the hugest fan of the cultured marble tops so we were looking for alternatives.

if we finally pick some blue/ green accent tile, maybe granite that coordinates, but as of now we're going white.

• anrol
    13 years ago

Here is mine. Still no hardware on the drawers! The cabinet is stained with an ebony stain. My DH built it.

• heartdecor
    12 years ago

door1,

I have a question for you, is your basketweave tile marble or porcelain/ceramic. I really like your bathroom

Thanks

• Emily
    12 years ago

It looks like ceramic to me. If you google ceramic basketweave tile you will get some results.

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic basketweave

• anrol
    12 years ago

Hi heartdecor, sorry for the late response. The floor is thassos marble. I live in Canada and the tile is Thassos Nero Basket Weave Marble Mosaic orderd from Urban Zebra. Their website might have info about dealers in the USA.

• jssaustintx
    12 years ago

I would love to know door1's tile grout color with the subway. jssaustintx

• anrol
    12 years ago

Hi jssaustintx. I just looked up my bill from the tile store and while I remember picking out the grout color, the bill just calls it a silver grey. I can't remember which brand it was. There was a small plastic box of colors to choose from. I am afraid I am not much help.

• jssaustintx
    12 years ago

Thanks for checking door 1! Your bathroom is fantastic. Tile grout is my current obsession and I do have a point related to the original question. I would consider the grout color with your vanity choice. Door1 used gray grout with black accents which looks great. In another post, nutherokie has a canvas color that is more beige brown/tan that might better suit wood tones (or stick with white since it sounds like you have some color accents planned).

• xand83
    12 years ago

We just made the same decision. Just put up the tile and grouting it today, hopefully. Since we have such a small 1/2 bath, we are doing the simple Lillangen vanity from Ikea. It has glass doors with a white sink on top. Although, after it's all put together, we might swap out the doors with some left over kitchen doors we have. They are beech. We'll have to see which looks better. Good luck!