Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile to Carpet Transition?

Posted by pricklypearcactus (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 11:59

What is the best way to transition from tile to carpet in each of these cases: where the carpet is higher than the tile, where the tile is higher than the carpet? I have mostly completed a bathroom remodel where hall carpet is slightly higher than the tile. For now, I've just allowed the carpet to hang slightly over the tile because I have been uncertain how to complete the transition. I will soon be starting tile work in my laundry room where the tile will end up being higher than the carpet in the doorway where they transition.

I would appreciate instructions, pictures, links to instructions or pictures, or even product suggestions. The work is all DIY, so I really appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile to Carpet Transition?

I think in either case I'd put in a solid threshold ... marble or other material. There are pre-made ones that accommodate different levels of flooring.

o

Thank you for the suggestion, wi-sailorgirl. How exactly does the carpet connect to the threshold?

o

Gosh, I have no idea! Never even thought about that, to be honest. I hope someone knows the answer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you'd cut the carpeting away there, attach the threshold to the subfloor, and put down new carpet tack strips around it, but I'm totally guessing.

o

It doesn't. You run a tack strip in front of the installed threshold, and stretch the carpet to the tack strip.

Another possibility would be to "turn" or "tuck" and tack it (basically making a "sideways hem") right to the edge of the tile. One other way would be to use an "insert" strip. It's a channel strip with a tack edge that you stretch the carpet to, and then there's a vinyl "T" shaped insert that pops into the channel, and caps over the edges of the carpet and tile. ANY of those will work, as well as using a wood threshold instead of marble.

My preference, though, would be for the marble threshold. But I'm kinda biased. :-)

o

I found this (John Bridge) tutorial which sounds very similar to the "tuck" method you describe. Is it?

While I love marble and wood thresholds in many applications, I'm not certain if it will work for me. But I'm willing to investigate. Also, can you tell me where I might find these "insert" strips to look into? Essentially I'm hoping to find something that bridges the two materials and prevents people from tripping or the carpet from fraying.

Thank you for the expert advice.

o

This is the insert, installed:

Photobucket

You can get it at any carpet showroom, and most likely at Lowes or Home Depot's flooring departments.

o

That looks perfect. Thank you for the picture and the suggested sources. I'll check out Home Depot or Lowes on my next trip there. If I don't find one, I'll start looking up local carpet showrooms. I really appreciate all of the time and knowledge you share with us on this site, Bill. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here