Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bppark

Considerations for a bathroom fan

bppark
10 years ago

I have a small bathroom with shower stall totalling maybe 40-50 square feet, with an uninsulated masonry exterior wall. Even when we open the window a bit, moisture and condensation are a problem, particularly on that cold wall in the winter. There is an unfinished stand-up attic directly above, and the wiring is accessible, so I'm looking for the perfect fan. I've looked at some and they all say they are quiet, but are they?

Another consideration is the venting. It has to go straight up through the unheated attic space and through a slanted slate roof (there is no other way to vent it out of the attic). According to the Home Ventilating Institute, I don't need more than 60-70 cfm capacity.

My experience with other appliances is that as you go down in size, you also tend to go down in quality. So I need help finding a quiet, appropriately-sized fan that will work well in this configuration, with the right cap, damper, etc. Am I overlooking anything, and does anybody have any suggestions?

This post was edited by bppark on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 11:48

Comments (14)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

HI. I have the Panasonic Whisper. Can't remember the exact size, but it is for a slightly bigger bathroom. Definitely very quiet, I put it on a timer, or it would never go off, as someone would forget, and you wouldn't ever hear it.

In the specs, it's sone levels range from <.3 to .4 sones. i do not understand why it says is quieter at than may be a typo but regardless still very quiet.>The venting question, you'll have to figure out yourself, but it does say it is user friendly and has detachable adaptors...

Hope this helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fan for up to 80CFM

• chispa
    10 years ago

Another vote for Panasonic. I will soon be replacing all our cheap 12 year old bathroom fans with Panasonic models.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Can you install the fan on the masonry wall and vent it directly? This would eliminate the possibility of condensation dripping back down the vent pipe and avoid having to penetrate and flash the slate roof.

• bppark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'll investigate Panasonic.
    As for the exterior wall, it's plaster over block-and-brick, no framing--and no way to fish cable. That means I'd have to use surface wiring or chisel a channel into it for conduit, so going through the roof seems like the "least bad" option. My roofer, who's been tending my slate roof for years, assures me he can cut and flash it properly. My bigger worry is damping and condensation in the vent pipe.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Insulate the duct. I had posted earlier in the day and had a link for you, but my post didn't get posted for some reason.

I have insulated my ducts for my kitchen and my bathroom.

The old ceiling kitchen vent that had broken down some years ago and was taken out in 2011. I noted that upon removing the vinyl wall paper on the ceiling, that it was probably put up there to hide the water staining from condensation that had dripped back through and caused the damage. I had thought that snow blew into the vent and would melt through, but now I think it was frozen condensate that finally melted in the spring time.

Before I got my insulation set up on my new bathroom remodel I noted that one morning my vent was dripping. I have rigid duct work there and had my son wrap insulation around it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works to prevent dripping condensate back into the ceiling material.

Here is the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: green building question on insulated ducts.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

I went with Panasonic in our extension, not connected yet but I bought an 80 CFM when I only needed a 50 for the powder room. The 50 was not avail on island. The master bath one is larger. Both vent to the roof but it's a small vent, your roofer should be able to flash it well. How long is the vent pipe going to be?

• homepro01
    10 years ago

I have the Panasonic Whisperwarm and I really like it. It provides heat and venting which you may not need. Based on the experience with two Panasonic fans, I can whole heartily recommend them. In my third bathroom I went with a Fantech and I really like it. If you have multiple bathrooms that need venting, you may want to consider a fantech with multiple output through one external vent. This will prevent having to add multiple holes in your skate roof. Fan tech also sells insulated ducting that should prevent any condensation. My fans run through an unseated attic and I have never had condensate. The Fantech is just as quiet as the panasonics if not a smidgen quieter.
    Homepro01

• enduring
    10 years ago

Homepro01, I have a question. With your Fan Tech duct work, is it soft or rigid? I have rigid and I think it is rather noisy.

• theanimala
    10 years ago

Another vote for the Panasonic. I also recommend placing it as close to the main source of steam as possible. In our small guest bathroom we replaced the builders grade useless fan with a Nutone 100CFM which is located in the middle of the bathroom. After a hot shower the walls would still be dripping with condensation.

When we just redid the bathroom I kept the NuTone and added the Pansonic vent/light in the middle of the shower. Both vent up to the same pipe in the attic and out through the roof and are hardwired together so both turn on/off at the same time. Since the additional there is no longer any condensation on the walls. I also added a timer so the fans wouldn't accidentally be left on sucking all of the hot air out of the house.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I've used them all and will only have Panasonic in my home. In the last house I looked at the display for Broan at the supply house and it sounded nice and quiet. When installed it was terrible. Replaced it will Panasonic and all was good. Just put in two more P's in the re-model.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

bppark:

Fur out the wall, run your wire, and cover it with drywall. This is much easier than ducting and a roof penetration and will look fine. The fan will perform much better too.

• homepro01
    10 years ago

Enduring,
    I have insulated flex from the ceiling outlet to the Fantech blower. From the blower through the roof is the Fantecb rigid insulated vent pipe. I avtually called the installer back a few time because I swore the unit could not be working. We sprayed a room air fresher and came back a few minutes later and it was all gone.

Did you use insulated flex ducts? If I remember correctly it was 3" diameter but with the insulation, the duct is like 4.5" thick. I got the flex insulated vent pipe from our local Home Depot but you can get it anywhere.
    Homepro01

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks Homepro01, for getting back to this question. I hope that others can benefit from my little hi-jack.

What I did was buy 4" rigid duct so that I wouldn't have any sags to collect condensate. I worried about this as my 2 vents lead to the "Y" connector then hooks to the motor in the attic, which then goes straight out the top.

To insulate, I already had some insulated 6" duct, can't remember why. So I split the the duct's insulation - aluminum and the fluff - away from the plastic slinky part. This was done longitudinally, the lengths that I needed. I then had my DS in the attic wrapping the stuff around the rigid pipes and securing it with duct tape. I will have to do a check next summer to see how the duct tape holds up. I had wanted him to use the 3M aluminum special tape but he didn't. I don't know if it would have worked anyway.

The carpenter, plumber, and electrician all say that it is the turbulence within the rigid ducting making the sound. The insulation quieted it down somewhat. It isn't too loud now. And anyway, a little noise is good at times in the bathroom.

This post was edited by enduring on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 18:07

• bppark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I think we'll be going up and out with Panasonic!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert