Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperidge_farm

Sealers... yet another question/confusion!!!

pepperidge_farm
15 years ago

OK, I thought I had it all down (learning this is just a general misconception for me in this project!), then as I was getting ready to seal:

-I have mostly ceramic tile, no sealing needed.

-I have a tumbled slate with marble decorative border and slate chair/pencil that runs around the whole room including shower- that should be sealed.

-I have decided to use Tec's XT grout that doesn't "require" sealing, but as overkill I still want to seal it inside the shower :)

So, I bought Aquamix Sealer's Choice Gold, for some reason I thought it was solvent based (I guess I am reading toooo many spec sheets), which apparently is what you are supposed to use over the XT if you desire to seal it, or pre-seal the stone with water based if that is what is being used.

BUT it is water based! I know many like this sealer, and I was under the general impression that solvent was better than water based as it allowed vapor transmission, but then I have also read that nowadays, water based sealers can be superior to the solv based. So I am confused.

So these are my questions:

1. I could just pre-seal with the one I have, then worry about the grout and buy a solvent based if the Sealer's choice gold is the superior product, I have already opened it (Uhg). Is it a superior product?

2. I could just buy 511 Porous Plus for the whole thing- spec sheet states allows vapor, but doesn't state that it is solvent based (I am extrapolating).

3. Stonetech Impregnator Pro which is solv based, for either whole thing, or just the grout, although i think I have to call them, because it doesn't state it is for grout in the spec sheet.

And, as an aside- just how do you keep the stuff from being on the edge of the grout joint as needed to prevent the grout from not adhering?? It is a liquid, it is wet, even with a paint brush, I envision the sealer crossing that line, or not getting good coverage???

The only thing I did correctly was get the Enrish N Seal for the pebbles!

Comments (10)

• pepperidge_farm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill, Thanks... so I have a plan. Yeah, a bit weird about the sealer and the XT.

Hopefully on my day off on Wednesday, I will have tiled the niche... and that will mostly finish up the walls! Time to grout!!! (that would DH's job!)

• pepperidge_farm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill, I know you don't often seal grout, if I remember reading correctly, but why do the sealers seem to specify sanded grout? I know I will probably have to call the tech line, but I haven't seen one of the good ones that say "any grout" or don't specify...??? The main grout I will seal will be unsanded (XT or otherwise).

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

When you call the tech line, come back and let ME know what they say. I really don't have an answer for you!! You're one of a very few who've been able to stump me on a tech question!

• pepperidge_farm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be on the phone tomorrow as I will be nursing DS getting wisdom teeth out. I will let you know what they say.

BTW, had picked up some Enrich N Seal (Aquamix) and tested it on the pebbles- didn't really like the look, kinda muddy, then when I went to get some 511, in the store they had an open bottle, and I had some sample in my car... the 511 Enhance N Seal was really a lot nicer, kept the natural sheen of the stone intact!

Will update tomorrow! When I really truly hope to finish tiling the niche (found someone to make the shelves for me!!!).

• pepperidge_farm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, Bill, I spoke with Miracle about the 511 Impregnator which I now have- he told me any grout is fine. I pressed him about the spec sheet, and he just said, "It is meant for use on any grout- it's fine!"

For my application, it did darken the slate a little, so I may end up using the Aquamix Sealer's Choice Gold on the slate as a pre-grout, and then just use the 511 on the grout in the shower.

I own them all now anyway :-( so I may as well pick the ones I like the best. I can still use the Aquamix in the other bathroom grout that needs sealing too (it's a fair size bottle!)

For the slate border, the 511 is meant to last 3-5 yrs, any experience or recc's with respect to reapplication?

Thanks a ton!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I don't know that you want to use two different sealers in the same area. You may end up with a white chalky hazing along the edges of the tiles where the two sealers meet. The 511 may darken the slate a little initially, but it'll come back to its original tone within a few days. Try a piece.

• pepperidge_farm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Didn't get to tiling today :( as the stone place was closed when I got there last night.

As I was writing the post, it just crossed my mind that there would be inevitable overlap. I pushed the thought aside.

I will look at my sample over the next few days... maybe I will just find another grout and stop making this so difficult.

OH- and I just remembered a question I had for you!!!
    The white tile (red body) I have used is 5x5 and the edges are wavy- yes wavy, like someone had an unsteady hand while cutting, but it's intentional. So there is variability in the grout line size. I am concerned that some of the spaces are quite tight and some are perhaps greater than 1/8".

So in the tight spaces, I don't think I could get sanded grout in, yet I am wondering about the wider grout areas?

Any suggestions?

DH had used epoxy grout like over 10 years ago, and found it difficult, as I thought this may be an answer as there is only one kind, any suggestions on how should I decide which grout?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

yes wavy, like someone had an unsteady hand while cutting,

They're called "scalloped". Use the sanded grout. It'll work, being that the majority of the joint will be larger than 1/8".

• pepperidge_farm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, stuff always has a name! Now I can say I have scalloped tile! I used to drive the plumbing supply place nuts when I was first starting to do plumbing and would go in and ask for, "the thingy that connects the pipe at a right angle turn."

Thanks again!
    Sarah