Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rufinorox

Show me your glass/mosaic tile borders in your shower

rufinorox
12 years ago

Im thinking of adding a glass/mosaic tile border to our 8x10 shower tiles. How did you place them? Vertical ? horizontal ? Or anything different.

Comments (28)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

We did a marble mosaic- still in progress but here's some pics (that low shelf will be covered by a tile "door" so it won't show in the final!):

More pics of the bathroom here

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter--holy crap! Your house is going to be so amazing!!! I've seen kitchen and other pics and am blown away by all the details!

rufinorox--my brown wall buddy! I attached a link to my other bathroom pics in my pb acct. We have mosaic tile used horizontally in the hall bathroom (and in the guest bathroom that you already saw), and vertically in the MB).

Here is a link that might be useful: cat_mom's bathrooms/pb link

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beagles- I've been following your renovations as well. Wish I had a a barh that big!

Catmom - thanks for the link you too have beautiful inspirational pictures. This maybe a last minute decision, however I like the offset horizontal look as well.

• adel97
    12 years ago

Beagles, WOW!!

I used a recycled glass mosaic in the backsplash and the shower tile border. (I just wish I knew then what I know now, and I would not have had my contractor talk me into the 4 inch marble backsplash underneath!!)

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharonite - it's beautiful. Are you talking the backsplash over the sink?

• adel97
    12 years ago

Yes, it's the same mosaic as in the shower on the opposite wall, so it ties together nicely, but I wish I had carried the backsplash mosaic to the counter instead of having that piece of counter material backsplash below (the counter is marble, and I love it, but I just don't like the 4inch backsplash marble piece look)

• fauve01
    12 years ago

We did whole wall of glass/slate pencil tiles, installed vertically on the wall that has the shower fixtures. The same tiles go all the way around to the back side of the wall (which faces the toilet). the same tiles are used as the backsplash above the vanity and around the tub.

HTH!

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Glass mosaic tile is beautiful and adds some sparkle to a bath. Just wanted to throw out though that glass mosaic tile in a bathroom coudl become a dated look very soon. The latest trend is solid pieces of marble/travertine, etc, all the same size, with no smaller inset tiles. If you are really not sure which way to go you might consider not installing glass tiles. Just my two cents from a design perspective.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Andreadg - thanks for your input. I was thinking the same, but I knew if I didn't do some glass it would look boring. Do you have any ideas/images of what your suggesting?

• nicoleaustens
    11 years ago

These pictures are really an inspiration! I have been looking for a new and unique ideas I could use for the reconstruction of my old bathroom. We will not be doing any changes anytime soon, and perhaps this is a good time to look for awesome ideas. I am very thankful I found this one. I didn't know pencil tiles can look that good! I was wondering if I could do some style combination on these tiles. Thanks for the pictures! I already have some types of frameless shower doors in mind which I think would look attractive with mosaic tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreamline Frameless Shower Doors

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

I made my own border, so I could get exactly the combination I wanted. Don't know about resale, but we like it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

Hm, I'd never used 'copy pic url' before...somewhat lacking Here's a link to the flickr page.

Here is a link that might be useful: should be larger

• enduring
    11 years ago

Flyleft!!! that is very cool tile, I love it. Thanks for sharing.

• mic111
    11 years ago

Your pics are great. I love all the materials in blue. I also like the follow-up pics from the other posters. Great jobs!

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

THank you, enduring : ) I hope that the style is just so 'out there' that no one can ever say (well, maybe the large format tile will date it) that it's stuck in a particular period.

Although maybe the whole mosaic-of-anything-border will be dated in 10 years...we have glass tile (I did it all piece by piece) in the kitchen, onyx and Oregon stone mosaic (I ran them through the saw and mounted them) in our master bath and the Pratt & Larson in DD's bath. I'm still thinking of how to work in some labradorite slices from large stones we bought out in central OR (they're not local - it was a rock shop) into our powder room somewhere to coordinate with the labradorite counter we will have (luckiest remnant score ever). Guess we just have to be happy living in it and whatever the next generation wants will be something completely different.

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

Our trim is 3x1 quartzite, same trim for backsplash

• dibgar
    11 years ago

lynneblack,

Beautiful tile and backsplash. We are still pondering what to use. Also pondering how to design the vanity.

What are the dimensions of your vanity? I notice that your sinks are close to the end walls. Does this give you enough elbow room when standing in front of the sinks? Do you ever feel too tight against the walls? We are designing a 72" vanity with double rectangular sinks like yours. We thought we should bring the sinks in from each end wall at least 9-10 inches; but if we do that, we lose space in the center and it is difficult to figure out the best layout for drawers or shelves below. If we could comfortably move the sinks over closer to the ends, it would be easier to figure out the base cabinets--how wide to make each sink base, how wide the center drawers should be etc., etc. On the other hand, placing the sinks closer to the end walls affects how we handle mirrors, sconces, etc. So many things hinge on something else!

Please share your experience and also the dimensions and configuration of your vanity and drawers.

Thank you.

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

Lynn, that's beautiful! Is the field stone quartzite as well? I dearly love it and wanted it in our master, but getting the deflection to work would have been a bother so we just went with porcelain and stone accents. How do you find it to clean? did you get honed or gauged? TIA : )

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

flyleft, thanks for the compliment, all the field tile is gold green quartzite, the trim is 1x3 white gold quartzite. It's honed and really easy to clean.

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

MAN -- if we'd waited, we could have the honed gold green -- there wasn't any of that when we did our master bath in 2006. If I'd known...*sigh*

(off to find some other surface in the house that needs a bit of honed quartzite...)

• lobelia
    11 years ago

Some great looking borders here! Has anyone done just a single vertical border? Would love to see some.

• mori1
    11 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter,

Thank you for your picture. My tile didn't come with bullnose. I was thinking of using mosaic tile as border but I had yet to see anyone with that design. This really help me.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

One thing you want to check before you begin is the thickness of the glass in relation to the thickness of the field tiles (the 8x10's). Most times with glass mosaics, they'll have to be built up to bring them out flush to the face of the field tiles. If that's the case, check the link below. Go to the first pic labeled "mismatched thicknesses".

Here is a link that might be useful: How To section of my gallery

• mori1
    11 years ago

Bill,

With my mosaic tile(which is not glass, not a big fan) I'm using ditra. I was going to use 1/4 hardibacker with the 12 x 12 tile but it such a pain to cut in small pieces.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Whatever it takes to bring the two tiles flush.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its been sometime since I've been bacl to the GW, thank you all for your ideas. Our bath is finally complete, well it was 2 months ago, but I'm finally getting back to post pictures. Here are some pictures of our renovation.

before and after pictures

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nice!!!

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

@Dibgar- I owe you an apology, I missed your question from almost a month ago. The vanity is 93" x 20" deep. It's a 1985 golden oak builder grade vanity that we refinished and added pulls to it. The sinks are 20x14 and are 7" from the edge of the vanity. We don't think they are too close to the edge, we have plenty of room. The vanity is basically two 34" cabinets with a space in the middle that was designed to accommodate a vanity bench. We put a shelf in the middle of it and put towels on that and have a basket for dirty laundry under the shelf.