Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Vanity top dilemma - need non-standard 34 inch top.

acw2355
11 years ago

I am redoing a small 5x7 bathroom in black and white.
The original vanity cabinet was 33" across and I was able to replace it with a new vanity the same size. Didn't want to change the footprint of the vanity and I was able to find a nice one, solid wood, no MDF, at a cabinet outlet for $240. Got it in just fine and went off to search for a vanity top; preferably a vitreous china integral sink. I thought I could find one and pop it in in one day. To my surprise none of the big box stores carried anything in that size. Was told that the cabinet standards are now 24,30,36 and 48 inches.

Now I need to custom order a vanity top and it looks like it will be too costly to get the china or quartz.

I haven't used cultured marble in years but wondered if it has changed with new technology. Is it easier and faster to produce? There used to be a stigma on CM but I have seen comments here that it actually holds up quite will. Since it will have to be custom does anyone know the turnaround time for something like CM. I know it can take weeks for granite and other stones and I was really hoping to get this done in one week.

Appreciate any thoughts on this. Am endeavoring to get small floor redone (retro American Olean "Chloe") this week too.

Comments (9)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

What about checking with area stone fabricators for any granite or quartz remnants? I imagine you could get one templated and installed fairly quickly and inexpensively if one has a stone on hand that you like. They'd need your undermount sink to do the proper cut out. I was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive for the quality our Toto Rendevouz sinks were. Our local plumbing supply store stocked them. The big box stores would also stock a selection of undermount sinks of course.

We paid about $85 each for our Toto Rendevouz sinks, with Sanagloss (Love!) The price without our contractors' discount would have been about $115, as I recall. We're going with a quartz remnant from a fabricator who said he could get it to us within a week of templating. He's charging $900 for an 85" vanity with two sink cut-outs and backsplash.

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Not sure about a CM countertop, but I have had a CM shower and shelf for about 5 years now. Regular use, and it still looks like new. Most large cities have a CM manufacturer. contact them for turn-around time, I would think it would be fairly quick for a little counter. But, I would do CM with an undermount sink. I think the integrated sink in CM would date your reno.

As treasure said, small local fabricator (we have one who is so much cheaper than the average price), will often have remnants on hand. The hardest part will be finding their names/phone numbers. We were recommended our guy by a tile place...that may be a source for you too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Very nice, kompy! What sink?

• acw2355
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the speedy replies. I'm trying to make the decision today. I was wondering about under-mount vs integrated so thank you for your thoughts on that. I think I will go with under-mounted. I'll call my local granite & stone people to see if they can do a small counter with sink.
    Cheers, Alyson

• kompy
    11 years ago

writersblock:
    The undermount sink is a Kohler Caxton 2209
    Top is Silestone "Lagoon"
    Cabinet is Showplace Wood Products: Cherry w/ Autumn Vintage distressed finish.
    Beadboard is from Nantucket Beadboard.
    Floor is Florida Tile. Classic black and white HEX

The rest of the trim is not up yet.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks. Can't wait to see the finished room.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Hope this reply isn't too late. I remodeled a half bath on the cheap last fall and decided to stick with a cultured marble sink. The old one was 30 years old and still in great shape, it was just ugly. I figured if it had withstood heavy use by two families, it must be durable stuff.

I ordered a custom cultured marble vanity top from Home Depot. It's gorgeous! It has subtle, realistic silver gray veining. Definitely not the cheesy design from the '70s & '80s. I've gotten so many complements on it. It's a St. Paul sink, integral rectangular shape in White Quartz, $230 for a 31 inch top. You can order non-standard sizes no problem.

After installation (remodel still in progress):

>

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

The other thing to consider is looking for a solid surface vanity top in a 36". Solid surface can pretty easily be cut by someone who's reasonably handy and has plain woodworking tools. To keep the sink centered, you'd want to cut equal parts off of both sides and then rout the visible side if it's not in an alcove. But, as you can often find solid surface tops at the box stores or sometimes even on craigslist, it's one budget option for those who can handle a saw and a straight edge.