Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doba_gw

Bathroom Remodel- 2 shower heads in smallish shower?

Doba
10 years ago

I am beginning the bathroom remodel soon. We are pulling out the bathtub in our master and replacing it with a nice sized shower. The bathroom is not that large and the shower will be roughly 65 inches by 40 inches. There will be a bench. Do you think it would be okay to put 2 shower heads with their own controls on either side or 1 shower head on one side and a handheld on an adjustable bar on the other? There will be a bench, so whatever we choose will be over the bench. Do handhelds have enough of a spray if they are on their own? Is this too much for a 65 inch shower? Any brand recommendations would be great too. No rainshower heads.

Comments (10)

• Doba
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the photo. I am worried that the pressure from the rainhead won't be powerful enough. Also, if I don't put another shower head or handheld on the opposite site, there will be a void where water won't go. We can't put the shower head in the center because it is on an exterior wall. I live in cold country....

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Could you put the rain showerhead in the center of the shower ceiling? Then a regular showerhead and hand held? No idea what that would cost in terms of plumbing.

This one is overkill but maybe something along these lines :

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Doba,

Definitely do two shower heads! Handheld shower heads CAN have lots of spray, look for the flow rate in the specs, ie gpm. Some states have restrictions, ie California in particular. I've also heard that many flo restrictors/regulators can be removed from the fixture after inspections and permits have been given.

Have you thought about using a portable bench? I'm not sure about reaching a shower head with a bench in the way. (I have never had a shower with a bench, but have bought a portable teak bench for my Master).

Is your primary reason for having showerheads on opposite walls to accomodate two bathers? I am not clear on which two walls they would be? The two short walls, with the long wall in the middle? If there will usually be just one person in the shower, not sure if I would want two sets of controls, or would you have one set, just have the actual shower head on the opposite wall? Controls/valves can be expensive, if you have to have two sets, adds to the expense.

On our 60 X 36 shower we will have one fixed shower head and another handheld, the outlet for the handheld water is on the short wall where the controls are, but the bar will be on the long wall (exterior for us), along with another bracket further down to use while sitting on bench shaving legs. As I type this, my DH (who works from home), said he didn't know there was a slide bar for the handheld, and hadn't accounted for it in his plans...cuz I just asked him, "why did we plan to put the handheld slider bar on the outside wall?". So goes to show you that you CANNOT overplan!

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

Have you considered body sprays in addition to the single shower head? My shower is about 3 x 5, and I have one Kohler Pinstripe shower head (of the Katalyst (i.e., aerated) variety) and to Kohler body sprays mounted on the same wall beneath it. I have a bench on the other side across from those, and I personally wouldn't want any water coming from that side. Anyhow, it's an idea.

• hellakitty
    10 years ago

I think its a good idea to have 2. I have 2 handhelds on the short walls offset not centered. In a 68x38 shower. There are 4 bodysprays as well. 2 on short wall, 2 on 68" wall. I did this to allow 2 bathers with very different heights to shower together. Here is a wet room I designed and is the inspiration for the remodel and removal of a bathtub. This is comfortable and not crowded. I will be adding a folding shower seat.

This post was edited by hellakitty on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 11:55

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

You can get a fine shower from a handheld.

If I'm installing just one head in a shower, I recommend the user go with a handheld. They're more versatile, and there is no performance penalty. Understand that many manufacturers use the same shower head for fixed and handheld applications. Same head, just a different presentation. Example, here's the Grohe Relaxa Top4, which is what I have in my shower:

Fixed:

Handheld:

I'll agree with raehelen too regarding the bench. I'll encourage you to eliminate the built-in bench and go with a movable wood stool or bench. Again, more versatile. And more comfortable to sit on.

Two heads in a 65" shower is not excessive.

Regarding the rainhead and pressure. You are correct, many people who use a rainhead as a daily shower head to shower an shampoo do indeed get frustrated with it. It's not really intended to function that way. But those who use a rainhead for the "rainhead experience", they love the rainhead.

If your two heads will be used for functional showering, I'd recommend a fixed head on one wall and a handheld on the other wall. Make the handheld hose long enough so it can be used to wash down the walls.

I probably install more Grohe than anything else. When you do change shower heads, there sometimes is a transition when going from what you're used to to what you now have. The new head isn't worse. It's simply different.

For your plumbing layout, consider having the supply valve(s) located just inside the shower so you can turn the water on without having to step into the shower. The idea is to eliminate getting hit with a cold spray when you turn the shower on.

• hellakitty
    10 years ago

I also have a rain overhead which I rarely use as it gives a massive amount of water and sadly I dont enjoy it as much as the light.

• earthpal
    10 years ago

Hellakitty,

neat wet room! What materials are your walls? Like how the waves match up! Do you like the teak mats? Another idea that we are considering.
    Thanks!

• hellakitty
    10 years ago

Thanks! The wall tile is porcelanosa dubai nacar and the ceiling is cubica blanco. i do like the decks. They were made from scrap purpleheart wood which has lost its purple tones. Only thing I dislike is the need to stand them up to dry. Not a big deal and they are nicer on a cold day then the tile floor. In nice weather I put them down post shower to keep my feet dry. I like the rich wood color off the glossy tile. Form and function plus inexpensive. I recommend!