Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barreg

Has anyone used Showplace cabinets? Opinions?

barreg
16 years ago

We had been planning to use Omega Dynasty cabinets in our bath remodel because we liked them so much in our kitchen.

However, the store where we're getting our granite vanity top from also sells Showplace brand cabinets and they have a cabinet that would work very well with our layout (single 72" cabinet with drawers in the middle). The Showplace vanity and medicine cabinets would be a few hundred dollars cheaper than Dynasty cabinets, but I haven't been able to find any opinions or reviews of the Showplace cabinets online. Has anyone here used them?

Comments (70)

• jjags
    8 years ago

I am in RI. Yes- we have humid summers and my house Sits empty half the summer with no AC/ climate control. No complaints still- We we have a lot of cabinets. You can't even see them all in these pics. Mine are painted white- except the island is stained dark.

• lori
    8 years ago

jjags, thanks! That's really helpful!

• leenie12s
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hoping to get some help deciding about whether to use Showplace cabinets for our new kitchen. We are in Ma. and doing a new kitchen and are planning to do white painted cabinets. Has anyone use Showplace cabinets and have any recent and or long term experience to share? Thank-you in advance.

• kateryan8
    7 years ago

I am also in Mass. I looked and studied long and hard before deciding on greenfield cabinetry. We went through kitchen views at National Lumber. When I had gone to see displays at various stores I was really disappointed in what the showplace looked like after being on display for 5-10 years. I suggest going and looking, we saw them at Norfolk hardware. I am really impressed with ours, they are shaker inset cherry. The other place that I thought had some nicer cabinets that seemed to be holding up was metropolitan cabinetry.

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

Thank-you Kateryan8. How long ago did you install your cabinets?

• kateryan8
    7 years ago

We have had them in since June, so I can't say long term how they will be. I am impressed with the quality of each piece at this point, everything works smoothly and fits together well. The display in the store in both Newton and Mansfield both seemed to be holding up well. I would not recommend the particular sales person I worked with because I just didn't care for him but the cabinets have not had an issue since they were delivered. If you are at all close to westwood the metropolitan cabinet there has a good variety of displays as well. I loved the sales people where we saw showplace but one of the displays that they were about to replace was literally falling apart, I just was so fearful that would be my kitchen in a few years.

• jjags
    7 years ago
    My showplace still look good. I think we are 4 years in now. No issues.
  • leenie12s
    7 years ago

Thank-you JJags and kateryan8.

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

I will say that I went to look at Showplace cabinets at the Norfolk Hardware store in Mattapan and the Showplace cabinets on display there were installed 15 years ago and they looked super for being a display and being 15 years old.

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

So I am even more confused.......

• kateryan8
    7 years ago

Then go with whichever you like the design and matches with your needs. Norfolk did my husbands kitchen when he was a bachelor (not showplace) and he had a really good experience with them as installers. Before I changed the brand I wanted we had worked with a woman named Lindsay from their Braintree store who was wonderful.

• kateryan8
    7 years ago

Since you are local I have to suggest looking at Leamar for counter stuff. They are not a fabricator but sell to them, they allow you to come in whenever they're open and look through the warehouse, put stone in gold that you want. I drove all over looking at different stones and they had a huge selection and were great to work with...not that you asked.

• laurasteiger
    7 years ago

To all of the MA folks - we are doing a kitchen remodel and looked at Echelon and Showplace at Norfolk in Mattapan. We were deciding between the two but now I'm scared reading reviews for both brands! The only other place we looked was Pinnacle although I have not been back to get pricing. Any recommendations within the Echelon or Showplace price point? I haven't yet gone to Metropolitan because I assumed they carried super high end cabinets, but maybe it's worth a try. Any inexpensive stone suppliers or fabricators is helpful as well!

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

Laurasteiger where are you located? I have a great fabricator I work with for granite, marble etc.

• laurasteiger
    7 years ago

leenie12s I'm in JP but moving to Needham!

• kateryan8
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You should take a look at both Metropolitan and Kitchen Views, they each had different lines at different price points, more to compare, but both had comparable lines in pricing to showplace. You do have to watch what details are included, soft close, hinge types, cabinet boxes, thickness of sides and drawers. I did marble for counter and loved Leamar, thought they had almost double any other place, was worth the trip from Medfield. I also looked at 2 other warehouses in Westwood. I used express marble and granite to fabricate and install out of holliston, thought their prices per sq. ft. were the best and we were happy with their quality work. You can call around and see what places charge for fabrication and also an estimate for price once you figure out what type of stone you want.

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

Hi Laurasteiger I did so much research when picking our cabinets. Metropolitan's cabinets were considerably more than Kitchen Views. If you go with Kitchen Views, they get great prices on Schrock cabinets because they sell so many of them that they can offer a bigger discount on them than some other places would and they are very nice cabinets but you MUST ask for the pricing for the all plywood box otherwise you might get cabinets with particle board sides/backs. You have to be very specific when asking for pricing. As far as the counter tops go for almost 17 years I have gone to Stone Depot in Dedham on the road leading in to Coscto and Whole Foods. This is my 7th kitchen I am doing in the past 17 years and I have used Stone Depot every time. You can see Twee or Taw. They are two sisters who run the business. They know their stuff very well. You can tell them Eileen Sullivan sent you. I have always found their prices to be excellent and I go to MS International a huge warehouse in Westwood to pick out my stone. MSI has granite, marble, quartzite and quartz materials. Hope this was helpful.

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

kateryan8 are you in Medfield? We lived in Medfield for almost twenty years!!

• kateryan8
    7 years ago

Yes! We have been here almost 2 years. I had no idea where it was before we moved here, we love it.

What cabinets did you end up going with? I cannot imagine doing 7 kitchens! That's amazing. My goal was to do it one time and never ever have to pick all these things out again, so much research and stress.

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

Oh we loved Medfield too!!! Still do!! Our daughter and her family live there now. And we will probably be back some day.... For our cabinets I actually went back to the Custom cabinet shop who made our Medfield cabinets. They are in Walpole. What marble did you wind up using for your counters? I am looking at Fantasy Brown marble for our current kitchen.

• kateryan8
    7 years ago
    Fantasy brown is beautiful! I had originally wanted Carrara but then fell in love with a slab of honed mountain white, I liked that it had some green and brown in it. Then loved that it came from Vermont. I did Carrara in the bathroom so I could get a little of both. I don't know if I'll regret marble down the line but I am so happy with it now, water stains and wear don't bother me so hopefully I'll stay happy.
  • leenie12s
    7 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful!!! And I love your cabinets!!!

• laurasteiger
    7 years ago
    Hi Leenie and KateRyan thanks so much! Any particular kitchen views? Newton is obviously closer than Mansfield for me but I'm willing to travel!
  • leenie12s
    7 years ago

Hi Laura, Last time I checked Newton Kitchen Views was being remodeled so you would not be able to see anything on display there but call and see I was in touch with them over a month ago so they may be back up and running by now but if not Mansfield was good too. Bob Russo was the man I spoke with there, I believe he is a manager in the kitchen dept. Good luck!! Keep in touch and do mention my name if you go to Stone Depot as I said I was one of their first customers way back when....

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

Laura I am sorry Dennis Serge is the name of the man I spoke with in Mansfield not Bob Russo.

• kateryan8
    7 years ago
    That is who I worked with, while I love my cabinets, I would choose to work with a different designer there.
  • laurasteiger
    7 years ago

@leenie12s - do you work with Stone Depot for fabrication and MSI for the slab itself? You had mentioned both. Thank you so much for your help I am going to set up appts and will definitely mention your name.

• leenie12s
    7 years ago

Yes Laura, Stone Depot for fabrication.... ask for Twee or Taw they are sisters who really know their field of work.....you start with them and if they don't have the stone you want then they will send you to MSI. But look at the website for MSI, click on Boston, Ma. to check inventory and all the stones either marble, quartz, quartzite or granite they have in stock they will have pictures of and you can narrow down what you might like. Otherwise if you just go cold to MSI it might be overwhelming. The place is gigantic with thousands of slabs of stone. Keep in touch, good luck!

• Susanne Repetti
    6 years ago

Hi.

Redoing kitchen in a rustic look. Looking at rustic alder and rustic hickory.

Thoughts on Candlelight (which we LOVE, but it's expensive) or Showplace cabinets??

OR suggestions on any other Rustic companies??

• pattimay
    6 years ago

We have showplace cabinets. Hate them. Cheap.

They are white shaker that are yellowing. Bad.

(They are 3 yrs old)

Kitchen place we used is terrible to work with so this should be interesting.

The bath cabinet was open inside so you could see the drawers and everything in them. Cheap.

So we had a carpenter build walls and paint.

Will update on yellowing.

• Kathy Norris Boye
    6 years ago

We have Showplace cabinetry for our bathroom vanity. No issues with the quality, finish, warping, etc. Hinges and slides are top line Blum. Designer was great, ordering was easy, and they were able to accommodate a special hair styling tool kit (not ordered from Showplace).

We were so happy that we are looking at Showplace EVO for the kitchen in our vacation cabin.

• Rio Brewster
    6 years ago

We just had Showplace EVO cabinets installed in our kitchen and master bath. This is their frameless line. We selected Novara doors in natural cherry. Everyone who has seen them has commented on how gorgeous they are! The seem very well-built. Time will tell...

• Rio Brewster
    6 years ago

Here are the cabinets. And no trash talk about the star tile please.

• jl
    5 years ago

We installed Showplace inset cabinets. Overall, the kitchen is beautiful but we would not buy from Showplace again. We had several issues with drawers not working, many many adjustments needing to be made, doors that are warped just enough so they don't sit flush on the top and bottom, damage to cabinets that Showplace did not want to do anything about and overall, the cabinets feel much relatively cheap for the amount we spent on them.

Bottom line, Showplace is not as good as the reviews on Houzz make them appear.

• Maggie Rhodes
    5 years ago

Had Showplace installed in a kitchen remodel about four years ago. Painted blue with walnut glaze. They've held up and performed beautifully since Day 1, no regrets at all. In fact, am currently doing a basement remodel and the contractor on that job commented on how nice my kitchen cabinets are and asked who the manufacturer was.

Will post a photo if I get the chance.

I do think so much comes down to the dealer. I certainly had a good one.

• alyzachary
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We are looking to do a full kitchen remodel on a home we just purchased and the highly regarded design firm we are working with has recommended Showplace as an option alongside two other companies. We are discerning in our choices, but are looking at our overall kitchen remodel in its totality including appliances, flooring, countertops, and construction re: budget. We are not committed to Showplace but were encouraged to consider due to cost. I'm concerned in reading this thread about the long term concerns people have expressed due to quality and other issues. Should we not even consider Showplace? I've never heard of them even mentioned to me before and I've built two homes already in 2000 and 2008. Would love to know if we shouldn't even waste our time considering as an option? Thank you in advance for any insights for CURRENT experiences as I completely appreciate the fact that companies that are customer focused improve their products based on prior customer input and experiences.

• Kathy Norris Boye
    4 years ago

We are still happy with our bathroom cabinets (are post above). We’ve also installed the EVO line in our cabin just recently. The designer was a dream to work with, from design phase to install and after, and the contractor had no problem installing. There are no issues with warping and our place is a vacation home so heat is not set above 58 for most of the time. I will say the skinny spice drawer is the only one that doesn’t open as smoothly, but I suspect it will slide better once it is no longer empty. We have not had a chance to use these very often as we are just beginning to move in.

• awm03
    4 years ago

My 16-year-old Showplace kitchen cabinets function just as well as they did when they were new. Very happy with them, no problems at all.

• P Rd
    4 years ago

awm03, can you share if your cabinets are painted or stained and how well the finish is holding up? Which type of doors do you have--inset, full overlay, etc. Thanks.

• Rio Brewster
    4 years ago

It has been 2 years and we still love out Showplace EVO cabinets.

One word of warning though. The clips that hold the shelves in are the dumbest design ever. They fit both above and below the shelves so you can't just lift the shelves out. (Do they think the shelves will float away?) You have to use a screwdriver to pop out the clips. I'm replacing them with normal metal shelf supports as I go.

• M P
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am very disappointed with Showplace, in 2009 we remodeled our bathrooms and used Showplace for our cabinets (this was in Wisconsin), they are still beautiful and we were very pleased with them so in October of 2019 when we bought our retirement home in Texas I searched everywhere until I found a dealer in the area to buy Showplace for our bathroom remodel. This time it has been a disaster! I ordered the cabinets on November 4th, I was promised they would arrive in 5 weeks, they did not arrive in 5 weeks, they arrived until January 10th. We were out of town so we couldn’t get them installed until January 22nd. The quality of the cabinets is horrendous! I hate them, they are not well made like the ones I bought in 2009. Not only is the quality bad, but they also had one of the mirrors the wrong size (we ordered two mirrors the same size), so they had to send it back and have another one sent. Today is February 24th, and I still don’t have my mirror. You would think that if they made a mistake they would expedite the order, but they didn’t. I called the dealer, but he said Showplace does not now when they will send the mirror. I am very upset by the quality and the customer service. I was going to buy Showplace for my kitchen remodel, but now I will never again buy or recommend Showplace!

• Mona Rawlings
    3 years ago

We installed Showplace Evo cabinets in our kitchen last year. They are great! We had a great designer, contractor and Cabinet shop..

• Priscilla Enriquez
    3 years ago

Mona, what bran is your micro/oven combo?

• Wendy Hemmen
    3 years ago

I have Showplace white painted shaker style cabinets. They were professionally installed in Jan 2016. Within 6 months, the paint started cracking and chipping. Four years later, my cabinets appear to be yellowing (inside and outside the cabinets) and there are many more areas off cracking paint and now bulging/bubbling around the cabinet and drawer edges. We are a family of 5 (all teenage and older). We utilize the kitchen daily and wash the cabinets regularly with a damp towel, soap and water. Additionally, the drawer fronts are MDF!!! Not wood. Only the frames of the doors and the cabinet base is wood for the painted cabinets.. Overall extremely disappointed with the white painted cabinets. I have the stained cabinets and love them but the painted cabinets have failed to withstand normal use in a kitchen. Showplace rep is currently reviewing but has already tried to tell me that "humidity" and "sunshine" and "normal use" is what is causing this and not poor quality. Obviously I am not in agreement. Had 6o-year old wood cabinets before that were white and never had any of these issues. Only got rid of them because of style. My remodeling company did not give me a choice on cabinet maker.......

• Rio Brewster
    3 years ago

Maybe the issue is with painted cabinets? My cherry cabinets are gorgeous.

• elizbailey
    3 years ago

I have White Matt painted Showcase Kitchen Cabinets that have significantly yellowed both inside and out. I am awaiting a response from the rep. I was told it could be from sun exposure, harsh detergents, or smoking all of which don't apply. I was also told it could be from use of a gas stove which I do have but this was not mentioned as a risk at the time of design and purchase. The yellowing is very noticeable especially against the matching painted trim nearby. The quality of the cabinets is OK. The corner doors never aligned properly but I can live with it. Will follow-up with the Rep response.

• rah222
    2 years ago

Any update on the status of your cabinets and the response you received from the company. A designer I am working with wants to install Showplace Evo cabinets. I don’t know anything about them.

• HU-294329219
    2 years ago

I am also considering ShowPlace frameless cabinetry (EVO). The wall cabinets will be a Duet door in a High Gloss Finish (solid white) and the base cabinets will be the Horizon door in Bamboo, Rockport color. Any thoughts on these ShowPlace choices and quality would be much appreciated.

• Wendy Hemmen
    last year

So showplace ended up replacing my cabinets but wouldn’t change the paint finish. So I paid and extra $3500 to have a professional painter come in and paint the newly replaces door and drawer front were unfinished and then buff down the frames and repaint them with a proper paint . Been in place 6 months- no yellowing or chipping or warping. Showplace is an inferior finish but the cabinet is ok from a structure perspective. To the point made earlier- the stained cabinets are better. Showplace painted cabinets are terrible.

• tracy_k77
    11 months ago

Quite possibly the WORST company I have ever dealt with. You would be better off purchasing your cabinets from Home Depot - you will get better customer service, warranty, and quality. Showplace cabinetry is of inferior quality and the "Lifetime Warranty" is useless. If you decide to purchase from this company do yourself a favor and take video while your cabinets are removed from packaging and document everything. NOT that this will help you in the end because Showplace will blame the installer and you for using the wrong cleaning products (BTW -the only thing I ever used to clean my cabinets is a damp microfiber cloth). In response to our warranty addressing the inconsistent spray and overall fogginess of our black painted cabinets, the Showplace rep Cheryl Eisenman responded "Worn paint, what have they been using to clean this? Her first response is to blame the client instead of getting to the root cause of their own crappy product. You think they would be concerned if this is the final result they are actually sending to the client. The only representative from Showplace I have been able to actually speak to was the local rep Jason Heiner, he actually came to our home to view the issues for himself. Jason acknowledged the majority of the issues our dealer/installer brought to the attention of the warranty department. I had hoped that since their own rep witnessed the problems it would be resolved. In the end, the majority of our claim was denied. I contacted Jason and he reached out to the head of Customer Relations Kerry Hayes and indicated I would be receiving a phone call from her. Weeks later, no phone call, I contacted Jason again. Here is his texted response....."Showplace has made the decision and passed it on to your dealer and it is now between YOU and the DEALER. Showplace communicates only with their dealer base only. Please reach out to him going forward." All I can say to that is WOW! So basically, screw you. You are at the mercy of the dealer. Our dealer failed to submit our claim within their 1-year policy. How is this the client’s fault?? Are their "specially trained" DEALERS not an extension of their company?? They do NOT stand behind their product or the dealers that they choose to do business with. Our cabinets were delivered in March of 2021 and we here we are 2 years later and none of our warranty items have been replaced. The one item that was sent was of no better quality than the original product. The pictures speak for themselves. WORST experience ever, appalling BAD customer experience.